ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA > ProgPower USA Lounge
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
rockyracoon
...
 
rockyracoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Batavia, IL
Posts: 2,020
Atlanta sushi recommendations

Pretty straight forward, just looking for any sushi recommendations for Atlanta. Will be getting in on Wednesday afternoon but not attending the Oliva show. Sushi will be filling that void for me, instead. Staying at Granada, so if there's something even close by that would be great.
rockyracoon is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Entrerie
Senior Member
 
Entrerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 547
For the money, you can't beat Ru-San's ala cart or their 11am-2pm buffet. $1.00 california rolls(3 pcs), $1.50 rock'n'rolls(3 pcs), and $1.00 nigiri(1 pc). If you go there I recommend the Cajun roll, the Spicy Tuna roll, the Spicy Aoili Scallop roll, these are all $1.00 for 3 pieces.

I've heard MF Sushi was pretty good but I've never been there. There is a place called "Sushi Yoko" off peachtree industrial and 285 that has good sushi and more traditional Japanese food, there is also a Japanese grocery store attached to the side if you want snacks or instant ramen bowls or whatever.

Ru San's may not be the best sushi in Atlanta(depending on who you ask) but it's not the worst either, I'd rate it a 75 out of 100 and it depends on that particular days experience, sometimes they are 100 out of 100 with the quality of the fish. Also the quality varies between the buffet and when you order piece meal. The reason we like it is because 2 people can load up on Sushi for about $20.00-$30.00 including tip where as other places your paying $6.00-$8.00 for one roll (4-6 pieces) and $2-3 for nigiri (1-2 pieces). The buffet is like $12.95 and has fried calmari and other stuff besides sushi.

If you want to spend a lot of money on a trendy place they just opened up a Geisha House resturaunt here, I forgot what that area was called (morning brain fart). I think you would be paying more for the trend then food you are getting at this place though as it seems very pricey for sushi.

We don't eat sushi as much as we used too though, we got sick of eating it so much and asian food in general. We'd always have Korean BBQ or Japanese or Tofu Soup. Now we keep going to The Highlander for their burgers and specials of the day, last time we were there they had this awesome catfish stuffed with a crawfish stuffing on a bed of spinach in a lemon butter sauce, Gordon Ramsey would be all giddy and shit. It was really good and amazing if you consider this is bar food technically.
Entrerie is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
OrbWeaver
BECAUSE FALCONER
 
OrbWeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 3,752
My cousin took my mom and I to a fantastic sushi place two years ago, but I can't remember what it was called. And I know if I say it was located on "Peachtree" it's not very helpful.
__________________
"Spider venom comes in many forms. It can often take a long while to discover the full effects of a bite. Naturalists have pondered this for years: there are spiders whose bite can cause the place bitten to rot and die, sometimes more than a year after it was bitten. As to why spiders do this, the answer is simple. It's because spiders think this is funny, and they don't want you ever to forget them."
-Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman


BECAUSE FALCONER
OrbWeaver is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rick Pierpont
Odin's Court Guitar
 
Rick Pierpont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Stewartstown, PA
Posts: 1,752
EVERY year, I come down with the intention of getting sushi at least once while in Atlanta, but still have never made it. I know that Matt Crooks (ex-Division) typically hits up someplace that is effectively within walking distance, but don't remember the name. Perhaps he'll chime in here. I'm sure it is on one of the many Peachtree Streets.
__________________
Rick
Odin's Court
Lead Guitar / Backing Vocals

Rick's Facebook page!

Order "The Warmth of Mediocrity" now!
Rick Pierpont is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Troy the nomad
Actually I've resettled
 
Troy the nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Greater New Orleans
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Pierpont View Post
EVERY year, I come down with the intention of getting sushi at least once while in Atlanta, but still have never made it. I know that Matt Crooks (ex-Division) typically hits up someplace that is effectively within walking distance, but don't remember the name. Perhaps he'll chime in here. I'm sure it is on one of the many Peachtree Streets.
City Garden maybe? Not quite walking distance, it's several blocks past the Krogers. we usually eat there at least twice every year.
Troy the nomad is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
ReaLM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 257
If you want good nigiri and sashimi and you are not on a budget, Nickimoto's at 10th and Piedmont is very good. However, if you want unhealthy delicious rolls for cheap, you can't beat Ru San's (my favorite is the one with spicy tuna and cream cheese that is then tempuraed and covered with aioli).

Robin
ReaLM is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
rockyracoon
...
 
rockyracoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Batavia, IL
Posts: 2,020
Thanks for the recommendations. Hopefully I'm able to make it to one of those places. It beats stuffing your face with garbage the whole trip, thats for sure.
rockyracoon is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
freakchylde
PPUSA Driver o' Doom!!!!!
 
freakchylde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 1,209
Nickimoto's is awesome, there's also MFSushi (I think that's the name) on Ponce by the Olde Spaghetti Warehouse. They're a bit more on the pricier side, but good. There's also a Whole Foods on W. Paces Ferry and P'tree that has good sushi, go around lunch time, when they're making it, if possible. The places my roommate recommends is Sushi Avenue in Decatur (it's on the East-West line to the Decatur Station). There's a location right outside of the exit.
__________________
PPUSAdrivrodoom

Come play on The Playground
freakchylde is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
ReaLM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 257
Sushi Avenue is pretty good, but if I'm going to go out of my way for sushi/Japanese food in the Atlanta area I go to Umezono in Marietta. By far the most authentic Japanese food around. They have a large menu full of stange things I've never seen anywhere else (even out here on the west coast). They also have private back rooms where you sit close to the floor and have to take your shoes off.
When I go there I get the Udon (the noodles are home made); it is amazing. All the employees are Japanese and the restaurant is next to a Japanese market, so you know it is authentic. Any locals who haven't been there should try it....

Robin
ReaLM is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
freakchylde
PPUSA Driver o' Doom!!!!!
 
freakchylde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 1,209
I love Umezono's, but I don't live on that side of town anymore. Only time I go in that direction is to train, and that's either early morning, or late evening. :/
__________________
PPUSAdrivrodoom

Come play on The Playground
freakchylde is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mr. Zane of HW
Senior Member
 
Mr. Zane of HW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In a whole...
Posts: 196
I really like Ru San's in buckhead. They aren't exactly traditional, but they do have traditional sushi available. They are real good at describing what you are ordering and the Udon is pretty darn yummy as well. Wash it al down with a few pints of Asahi!
Mr. Zane of HW is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
ReaLM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zane of HW View Post
I really like Ru San's in buckhead. They aren't exactly traditional, but they do have traditional sushi available. They are real good at describing what you are ordering and the Udon is pretty darn yummy as well. Wash it al down with a few pints of Asahi!
The Ru San's in midtown is better (IMO). The Ru San's in Buckhead always seems to be filled with smelly people from the crunch gym next door every time I went there . Although I haven't be back for years...

The Ru San's in Marietta also has great hibachi; it is very affordable (for hibachi).


Robin
ReaLM is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
scooterSST
Senior Member
 
scooterSST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrerie View Post
For the money, you can't beat Ru-San's ala cart or their 11am-2pm buffet. $1.00 california rolls(3 pcs), $1.50 rock'n'rolls(3 pcs), and $1.00 nigiri(1 pc). If you go there I recommend the Cajun roll, the Spicy Tuna roll, the Spicy Aoili Scallop roll, these are all $1.00 for 3 pieces.

I've heard MF Sushi was pretty good but I've never been there. There is a place called "Sushi Yoko" off peachtree industrial and 285 that has good sushi and more traditional Japanese food, there is also a Japanese grocery store attached to the side if you want snacks or instant ramen bowls or whatever.

Ru San's may not be the best sushi in Atlanta(depending on who you ask) but it's not the worst either, I'd rate it a 75 out of 100 and it depends on that particular days experience, sometimes they are 100 out of 100 with the quality of the fish. Also the quality varies between the buffet and when you order piece meal. The reason we like it is because 2 people can load up on Sushi for about $20.00-$30.00 including tip where as other places your paying $6.00-$8.00 for one roll (4-6 pieces) and $2-3 for nigiri (1-2 pieces). The buffet is like $12.95 and has fried calmari and other stuff besides sushi.

If you want to spend a lot of money on a trendy place they just opened up a Geisha House resturaunt here, I forgot what that area was called (morning brain fart). I think you would be paying more for the trend then food you are getting at this place though as it seems very pricey for sushi.

We don't eat sushi as much as we used too though, we got sick of eating it so much and asian food in general. We'd always have Korean BBQ or Japanese or Tofu Soup. Now we keep going to The Highlander for their burgers and specials of the day, last time we were there they had this awesome catfish stuffed with a crawfish stuffing on a bed of spinach in a lemon butter sauce, Gordon Ramsey would be all giddy and shit. It was really good and amazing if you consider this is bar food technically.
Cajun roll? That sounds yummy...
__________________
ex Division Vocalist, Yeah..... I was the guy with the bandanna......


Personal Pages

http://www.myspace.com/70666236
http://www.sstwebworks.com

---

---
When the sacred texts and science conflict, the sacred texts are wrong.
..The Dalai Lama.
scooterSST is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0
© Copyright 2000-2014 UltimateMetal.com | MetalAges Media