ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Dream Evil cancel PPUSA, Replacement Announced

Unbelievable.

The basic steps involved in securing a visa:

1. Complete the nightmare known as the “application process” here in the States. That is the most difficult part and is where bands are denied frequently based on background checks, etc.
2. Once approved, the band schedules their interviews via an online application.
3. They take the approval notice, complete a mundane interview process and get their visa stamps.
In ten years, I have never had a single band have a problem with the interview portion of the overall process.

Dream Evil found a way to screw things up for everyone.

The band was officially approved by the U.S. government on April 4th, 2011. I emailed a scanned copy of the approval the next day. I also mailed the actual notice the same week as well. The band received both. Everything is normal. I then check with the band on June 1st regarding an invoice for their visa interviews. I was told they haven’t scheduled them yet.

What?

Nothing I could do. They know what has to be done. I check back in July and was told they had an interview for the first week of August. That is still six weeks out so plenty of time. I check back the first week of August and was told that the interviews were rescheduled for August 18th.

What?

I emailed the agent on the 18th and was informed that three members of the band were denied visas. They evidently checked the P-2 visa type instead of the P-1 type that is clearly written on the approval notice and were thus sent to a different interview at the consul. They were then told that they could re-submit the interview application and do it again….but the next available opening was at the end of September.

Screwed.

I feel very sorry for the fans that were traveling specifically to see the band. Please direct your piss and vinegar at them, not me.I have little sympathy for them. They may have wasted a day, but I wasted a year. The band has issued the following statement:

“First of all we can’t describe our frustration in this sad matter. We can’t come to Progpower for the show on September 17 because we had problems getting our visas.We did all we could yesterday august 18 when we all took the day off from our jobs and went by car over five hours in the worst rain storm in years to Stockholm for a visit at the American embassy for the interview which is necessary for the visa.After waiting in the long line of people for over four hours at the embassy they told us that we had applied for the wrong kind of visa.We asked them politely to help us change the application so that we could get the right type of visa but they told us that we had to go back and do it all over again.As the booking for the interviews are made a long time in advance we then checked to find out that there were no available spots for new interviews until late September and that is too late.This sucks! We paid a lot of money for the visa applications and for the trip to Stockholm, all for nothing and the worst part of all is that we can’t come to Atlanta on September 17.At this time the American embassy has blocked us from travelling to the US before September 17 so we are not able to come to the US at all until after the festival.We’re so sorry and so frustrated and there is nothing we can do.To all the fans and the promoter at Progpower, we’re really really sorry. “

-Dream Evil

Needless to say, I have been scrambling like hell for the last 48 hrs...

I’m very pleased to announce that reactivated metallers Forbidden have been confirmed as the replacement. Kings of the second wave of the Bay Area Thrash scene, Forbidden were most popular during the late 80’s and early 90’s for their brand of technical thrash metal infusing odd signature timing with melodies, making them one of the most original metal bands of the time.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cheiron

Upgrade. My sympathies for the shit you had to go through though. And more animosity towards the United States government and its love to keep artists out of the country.
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
kingdomgone86

Forbidden is a fine replacement. Dream Evil was definitely the biggest reason for me going, but I will still be in attendance. This sucks, but what can you do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
zekeyou

Terrible news for you, the fest, and the power-faithful.

I'm super excited to see Forbidden, again.
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
ApolloFC
Sax-Man

Thats a total bummer. I was most excited about Dream Evil too actually as Dragonslayer was one of the first metal albums I ever bought. Nice work on the replacement though, granted I don't think I've heard of them before.

Edit: based on a quick 1 minute listen - I like a lot ;D

Last edited by ApolloFC : August 20th, 2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Evil
Drunken Bastard

WTF..... severe disappointment here and a bit of anger too.. NOT towards Glenn and not really the system but those individuals who screwed it up ... this royally sux

Old August 20th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
freakchylde
PPUSA Driver o' Doom!!!!!

Ugh, stupidity on the band's part. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Come play on The Playground
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Justin G

Not to minimize the hassle/grief/bullshit that you've gone through, but good call on Forbidden as the replacement band. Having a pure thrash band on the bill definitely adds to the diversity of this year's lineup.

News Editor/Senior Columnist, www.hardrockhaven.net

On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/justinsgaines

Lego meets metal at www.facebook.com/bricksofthebeast
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Gaines View Post
Not to minimize the hassle/grief/bullshit that you've gone through, but good call on Forbidden as the replacement band. Having a pure thrash band on the bill definitely adds to the diversity of this year's lineup.
Thanks Justin. With a very, very limited number of bands to pull from, that did indeed factor into the decision. Hell, I may lead a pit as pissed as I am about Dream Evil.
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
lifesadream

Thank you Glenn for your continued hard work. I am actually pretty pumped to see Forbidden.
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
MysticX9

Hate this for you Glenn, no worries though, Forbidden is an excellent replacement!
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fury of Polaris

Well, good morning, eh? Unfortunately Dream Evil was one of my favorite bands on the roster and I don't much like Forbidden. But I'll survive... Sucks for Glenn that it went down this way. Can only imagine how frustrating it is. Cheers to getting a replacement on such short notice that most people seem to be liking, even if I'm not one of them.
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Evil
Drunken Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury of Polaris View Post
Well, good morning, eh? Unfortunately Dream Evil was one of my favorite bands on the roster and I don't much like Forbidden. But I'll survive... Sucks for Glenn that it went down this way. Can only imagine how frustrating it is. Cheers to getting a replacement on such short notice that most people seem to be liking, even if I'm not one of them.
Well said... this is about where im at.

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
Well said... this is about where im at.
Thank you both. I explored all realistic options and a U.S. based melodic, power metal band on the same level of Dream Evil in terms of instant name appeal on 3 weeks notice was simply impossible. I was shut down instantly on a few calls I made without even being able to make an offer.

Big props to Forbidden for stepping up to the plate. It will be a intense set and kick some folk's ass that aren't expecting it.
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
lifesadream

Forbidden was amazing when I saw them open for Overkill last year.
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
NVARAS

Actually, I am stoked to see Forbidden!!!! Glenn... thanks for always pulling an interesting rabbit from your hat.
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Kimavir
Metal Hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
Thanks Justin. With a very, very limited number of bands to pull from, that did indeed factor into the decision. Hell, I may lead a pit as pissed as I am about Dream Evil.
Hell yeah. It's been a while since 4-6 attendees moshed while everyone else gave them dirty glares.
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Goodbye Sweet Innocence
Metal Queen

Ugh, this sucks. I was totally pumped about Dream Evil, then they drag their feet and screw it all up. I feel for you, Glenn. Shitty that all of that hard work was wasted.

I'm personally not into thrash, but Forbidden seems like a good replacement. They seem like they'll keep the show's energy high as we go into the evening.

You deserve a free beer or thousand, Glenn!
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
djjello
djjello

quick question...

So does Forbidden have a drummer? Is Mark going to play this show?
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
raising_iron

Damn, Dream Evil were in the top 5 I wanted to see this year, BUT...Forbidden?!? Holy shit, never thought I'd see a straight up thrash band (classic at that!) at ProgPower. Good job Glenn, always wanted to see 'em back in the day and never got the chance. Way cool, "I'm off the edge"...

As to Dream Evil...I never understand why people wait until the last minute on things that are so important (like securing visas!), you simply can't go without it. If it was my band travelling, I would've schedule those interviews on April 5th, or at the very least the week thereof. If checking the wrong type was an issue it would've come to light way earlier and the band would've had enough time to reprocess/reschedule. Unbelievable!

Endangered Reign

melodic/heavy power metal from Michigan, new album in the works!
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising_iron View Post

As to Dream Evil...I never understand why people wait until the last minute on things that are so important (like securing visas!), you simply can't go without it. If it was my band travelling, I would've schedule those interviews on April 5th, or at the very least the week thereof. If checking the wrong type was an issue it would've come to light way earlier and the band would've had enough time to reprocess/reschedule. Unbelievable!
+1
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #22 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjello View Post
So does Forbidden have a drummer? Is Mark going to play this show?
My understanding is that they do indeed have a new drummer. I have no idea if it is permanent or just a guest situation. I'll defer to the band for that announcement.
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
Jibrille
We Have To Go Back

That's too bad. I'm not normally a fan of this kind of power metal but I was looking forward to their set. Will have to check out forbidden

Now, where's my giant foam cowboy hat and airhorn?
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Locust0311
Shopping Ape

Wow, that sucks Glenn. I hate that you had to deal with it. But what a great replacement. I consider it an upgrade imho.

Old August 20th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
VenomGA
At War With Stan

This sucks for you Glenn!! While I was really looking forward to Dream Evil, you have an EXCELLENT replacement in Forbidden!!!

Don’t throw stones if you live in a glass house....