ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #51 (permalink)
TribunalRecords
Record Label(s)/Vocalist

Why do people still compare Van Halen and Van Hagar? They are two TOTALLY different bands. Neither sounded like each other when it came to songwriting. You either like Roth fronted VH or you don't, but Hagar fronted a completely different band as he brought out a different writing style in the VH brothers.

back to thread topic. NEW VAN HALEN ALBUM FUCKING RULES. it's so much fun to hear them back like this again. i was biggest skeptic, not going to lie, but they floored me with this batch of tracks. other than Tattoo not a song i want to skip with it plays.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #52 (permalink)
Pelata
Dr. Extremus Melodicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribunalRecords View Post
Why do people still compare Van Halen and Van Hagar? They are two TOTALLY different bands.
And Hagar has been out of the band (pretty much) since 1996...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #53 (permalink)
nomisofsiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelata View Post
Some, like me, love both.
Oh. I'm sure there are those as well. It's just a lot of people will tend to show their loyalty to one or the other more.
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #54 (permalink)
AeonicSlumber
srs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
I've tried to like this album but I can't stand to listen to a more than a few songs at a time. I like some of the early VH, back when Eddie could play and Roth's childish lyrics and yelps were tolerable. But as far as I am was concerned, Roth was only as good as his guitarist. Whether it was Eddie or Steve Vai.

As for this album, there are a few decent songs but overall, the songs and guitar playing is uninspired. Even worse, Roth ruins the songs. His voice is grading and the lyrics are pathetic, not to mention extremely dated. A 56 year man pretending to be a teenager. The ego and swagger is plain silly at his age.

I am glad many of you find this album a great joy and it reminds you of early VH and more to the point, your younger years. I for one found the Van Hagar years a vast improved to what came before and now after. Sammy added much more depth and originality to their music. Better melodies and lyrics. Compared to Roth's juvenile lyrics, Sammy was a freaking wordsmith. I don't blame Sammy for singing as few of the old songs as possible during his ten year stint with VH.

As for Eddie, he was a great guitar player throughout the early and Hagar years. Now, like Roth, he too is rather sad and uninspiring. I found nothing interesting or entertaining in his playing on this album. He's playing by the numbers.

Not surprisingly, the best songs are the old demos and “Stay Frosty”. The latter is the only style Roth can sing with any conviction.

This is not so much a comeback album as a reason why they should have hung it up years ago. This album does not remind me of the fun and original early years nor their creative peak with Sammy. Time to stick a fork in this gas bag of a band.

I for one will not be paying the outrageously expensive concert tickets. I give this line-up less than a 20% chance of making it through the tour before self-destructing.

God FAQs