ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #51 (permalink)
nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonicSlumber View Post
>U2 not alt rock

Oh you..
Dude I'm sorry but the vast majority of U2 songs are Rock songs.
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
dcowboys311

I like RHCP just fine. Great band. I just can't understand how you wouldn't think Foo Fighters are not a rock and roll band but the band whose music is just as much influenced (and it shows) by rap and funk is. Just don't understand your distinction at all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
Stingray11214
OSA Triumvir

Quote:
Put out other good albums besides "Ten."

Quoted for truth.

Then again, I do not think Pearl Jam could ever top Ten. Probably one of the greatest CD's ever made in the Rock era.

Oceansouls of America: Proud Bastard Child of the Nightwish Community Since 2003!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" President Ronald W. Reagan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #54 (permalink)
nomisofsiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessOfDork View Post
This.

I really wish they wouldn't mash "hard rock" with "metal".. but lets face it, people who watch the grammys usually don't know what metal is, anyway.
Except this category isn't actually televised.
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #55 (permalink)
nomisofsiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessOfDork View Post
lol..

I'd love to see them give an award to an actual metal band, one day. Would be pretty awesome. Last year they gave it to Iron Maiden, right? But it felt like they were giving it to them more because Iron Maiden has deserved it for the past 30 years.
They've been doing that for years though. Between Black Sabbath winning it for a live song, Priest winning it for a live song, Slayer winning it a couple of times (including a bonus track). They're just lazy when they pick the winner.
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #56 (permalink)
nomisofsiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
Pearl Jam.
This.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #57 (permalink)
Jasonic
Doom On!

Not lazy when picking the winner.
Lazy and outright invalid how they do the nomination.
Listen close to the broadcast when the head Grammy guy comes out.
He explains each year how its a panel of 1300 board members who nominate and vote.

Well, I HIGHLY doubt that all 1300 members are knowledgable enough about EVERY genre to independently make nominations.

Case in point, out of those 1300, do you really think even TWO people independently would come up with MOTORHEAD's cover of WHIPLAST as BEST ROCK / METAL performance?

I am sure the nominations are the SAME process as the VOTING process (Same with when you vote for the MLB ALL-STAR) where you are given a few options to choose from. The problem is that should be the voting process and not the nomination process.

That has always been my opinion on how the ROCK and METAL category goes.

I just can't buy that those specific songs would have been mass selected INDEPENDENTLY from a pool of 1300.

UPCOMING SHOWS:

SATURDAY OCTOBER 18 @ Cobra Lounge w/ Satan, Wrath, and Coven 13

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 16 @ Reggies w/ Raven and Night Demon

Ancient Dreams "CRIMSON MAIDEN" available now

ancientdreamsmetal.bandcamp.com

www.facebook.com/ancientdreamsmetal
Old February 14th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #58 (permalink)
AeonicSlumber
srs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailz View Post
Dude I'm sorry but the vast majority of U2 songs are Rock songs.
Whoops I guess I just forgot about all those AC/DC inspired records they put out.

God FAQs
Old February 14th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #59 (permalink)
AeonicSlumber
srs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray11214 View Post
Rock era.
The Rock era? So Rock died after the 90's?

This thread is hilarious; ITT people who decide that rock bands they don't like aren't rock.

God FAQs
Old February 14th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #60 (permalink)
AngraRULES

Hey, Wikipedia says Foo Fighters are alternative rock, so therefore they must be. Then again, going by that same logic, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are also an alternative rock band.

Does that matter? No. Alternative rock is (you guessed it) still within that genre called ROCK!!!
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #61 (permalink)
Cheiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngraRULES View Post
Hey, Wikipedia says Foo Fighters are alternative rock, so therefore they must be. Then again, going by that same logic, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are also an alternative rock band.

Does that matter? No. Alternative rock is (you guessed it) still within that genre called ROCK!!!
When the alt-rock genre started being discussed, various well-established rock artists, including U2, REM, and Elvis Costello. RHCP were included too, as well as many sub-genres. Similar to 'classic rock' the genre was largely defined by innovative radio stations, such as Atlanta's 99x.
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #62 (permalink)
Pelata
Dr. Extremus Melodicus

What Grohl said about his Grammy:

Quote:
Despite his success and constant ear-to-ear smile, Grohl was feeling badly for Dream Theater. “We got it!” Grohl said about winning the Best Hard Rock / Metal Performance Grammy. “I feel so bad for the Dream Theater guy, because they actually had a metal performance, we didn’t, but it’s awesome. That’s kind of the coolest song we’ve ever written,” he said of the edgy ‘White Limo.’
http://loudwire.com/dave-grohl-foo-f...dream-theater/
Old February 14th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #63 (permalink)
nailz

Quote:
Whoops I guess I just forgot about all those AC/DC inspired records they put out.
Hell yes, AC/DC is the end all be all of rock and roll.
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #64 (permalink)
AeonicSlumber
srs

Quote:
Hell yes, AC/DC is the end all be all of rock and roll.
Quote:
saying The Foo Fighters play the same style of music as AC/DC? No.
That's my point, as dcowboys noted as well - you really are just going around in circles, pointlessly and ceaselessly with this stuff not really making any sense. It's cool you don't like the Foos, we all have different opinions, but you're justifying your opinion in really silly ways. You sound no different from the metal elitists who cry about bands like Amorphis and Paradise Lost getting softer and say they sound like glam rock or whatever. At the end of the day, all it is is posturing just to justify your taste.

Conversely, if I were to say I don't think a band is metal or whatever, it's not so justify my taste. I don't consider Tool or Deftones metal, but not because I WANT TO KEEP MY METAL TRUE, but because when I listen to thosse bands, I don't hear metal riffs - despite the fact that they are among my favorite bands of all time. Your basis for why the Foo Fighters shouldn't be considered rock is they play alt rock, distinct from bands like AC/DC and then you go ahead and jock other alt rock bands like U2, and bands that sound nothing like AC/DC. The whole thing is just dumb. Alt rock is still rock at the end of the day- that doesn't change just because you don't like it. I don't even know if I'd even call the Foos alt rock to begin with. I always felt like Nickelback and Creed were alt rock (I will say that Foo Fighters do have a FEW songs like that, but I then should also be able to call Amorphis alt rock because they made Tuonela ), and Foo Fighters never sounded anything like those guys. When people say nu metal bands aren't metal, it's fair (although elitist as hell) because metal is a small niche group of bands compared the entire rock pantheon. I mean, if alt rock isn't rock, then what is it? Rap? Really? Why? JUST because you dislike it?

God FAQs

Last edited by AeonicSlumber : February 14th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #65 (permalink)
Stingray11214
OSA Triumvir

Quote:
The Rock era? So Rock died after the 90's?
No, it did not. The reality is that Ten is going to withstand the test of time long after our kids are collecting from their IRA Retirement funds. I do not see the Foo Fighters CD that won the Grammy doing that.

Oceansouls of America: Proud Bastard Child of the Nightwish Community Since 2003!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" President Ronald W. Reagan
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #66 (permalink)
AngraRULES

Quote:
No, it did not. The reality is that Ten is going to withstand the test of time long after our kids are collecting from their IRA Retirement funds. I do not see the Foo Fighters CD that won the Grammy doing that
Maybe, maybe not. We have to wait and see. Different times, my friend. It's like saying The Number of the Beast did it, but Imaginaerum will never. Both are 10 out of 10 in lots of people's opinion. The impact Ten had at the time is probably bigger than Wasting Light's, but it doesn't mean it won't stand the test of time.
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #67 (permalink)
dcowboys311

Quote:
No, it did not. The reality is that Ten is going to withstand the test of time long after our kids are collecting from their IRA Retirement funds. I do not see the Foo Fighters CD that won the Grammy doing that.
You're probably right.
The Colour and the Shape, on the other hand...
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #68 (permalink)
nailz

Quote:
words and stuff.. and then... I mean, if alt rock isn't rock, then what is it? Rap? Really? Why? JUST because you dislike it?
I guess if you're going to lump Alt-Rock in with Rock and Roll, that's fine. I think it deserves its own distinction though. It's Rock influenced, sure, but at what point are you so far from your "roots" that you become something else entirely?

Maybe RHCP doesn't really belong in a rock-and-roll category. I think Rock has evolved enough to include them, but no, I think Foo Fighters have continued on with the same tradtions of the 90's music era. Have they changed that much? Not from what I've heard of their music.

And to say I don't like alt rock is fucking laughlaicious. I still think the late 90's and early 2000's were the best time of music.

tl;dr who gives a fuck.
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #69 (permalink)
Pelata
Dr. Extremus Melodicus

Foo Fighters are WAY closer to the way you're trying to define "rock and roll" than RHCP are. No funk, no hip-hop vibe...just driving catchy guitar rock.

That said, both RHCP and FF will be looked back on and revered in 30 years the way Led Zeppelin is today.