ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
booB
Señor Member

This is right up my alley. Not only am I interested in the subject matter (writing), but I get to learn from my all-time favorite songwriter/the John Lennon of our generation? Sign me up!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
Met-Al

Count me in! I'm always like when bands give you a look into their writing process, and this would make for a truly unique experience. If this is just the start of the Thursday's events, I'm really excited to see what follows!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
Fizrider
Quasi-Old Fart

I am not really sure I have words to explain how awesome this is, and how randomly, freakily different from the concept of "music festival." I feel like I should be able to get Continuing Education Credits or something.

Watching the founder of Savatage, TSO, JOP, and contributor to CIIC at work? Yeah... that'll be a hard sell.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:09 AM   #29 (permalink)
Fizrider
Quasi-Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
Why would people bitch? It's an extra show that I just added for those that want to attend. The main show for Wed/Thurs has not been announced yet.
Because, you know, it is just one MORE really cool thing people will want to do, and HAVE to pay money for, and it will take away from their socializing/drinking opportunities, blah blah blah...

OR

Because there are only 150 tickets, you should have made sure it could be done in a larger venue for 225 people, because then the people who REALLY want to see it could do it, and ticket prices could be lower, blah blah blah...

You know... What Steve said. They'll be the same people who bitched about having to see Kamelot without Khan, or bitching about the awesome Wed Thurs shows every year.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:38 AM   #30 (permalink)
Azrael LenGraden
Lake Of Fire

Jon Oliva could be washing dishes and I'd by a ticket...He is one of my all time artists... Very cool idea Glenn!
Proud Sponsor of Vanden Plas PPXII
Proud Sponsor of Enchant PPX
http://www.lakeoffire.net
http://www.youtube.com/VisionLakeofFire
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:33 AM   #31 (permalink)
espz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael LenGraden View Post
Jon Oliva could be washing dishes
Jon Oliva's going to be washing dishes???? I'm IN!

Seriously....very cool idea. So it sounds like newbies have very little chance of getting in. Just curious how many Gold Badge and Sponsors are there? Is it 350 for instance?

If there is an extra ticket I certainly would want it! Great job Glenn!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM   #32 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by espz View Post
So it sounds like newbies have very little chance of getting in.
This show was basically intended for the sponsors & Gold Badge holders. I simply left the door open to the regular public in the event that there were indeed any tickets left.

You are correct in that there are more GB Holders & Sponsors than tickets available. This is meant to be a very serious atmosphere for the diehard fans as opposed to the casual fan that just wants to get drunk, socialize at the bar, and yell for Freebird.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:29 AM   #33 (permalink)
The Invisible Guest

Quote:
This show was basically intended for the sponsors & Gold Badge holders. I simply left the door open to the regular public in the event that there were indeed any tickets left.

You are correct in that there are more GB Holders & Sponsors than tickets available. This is meant to be a very serious atmosphere for the diehard fans as opposed to the casual fan that just wants to get drunk, socialize at the bar, and yell for Freebird.
I think that's where I fit in for this gig. It's not my kind of thing, but I can see how the diehards would eat this up. I'll more than likely pass on going ... don't want to take the spot of someone who would really love to see this kind of thing.

Interesting concept though .. hope it comes off well.

Britt
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:45 AM   #34 (permalink)
ApolloFC
Sax-Man

HELL YES!!!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM   #35 (permalink)
Azrael LenGraden
Lake Of Fire

You mean I can't ask Jon to "play some Skynyrd"?
Proud Sponsor of Vanden Plas PPXII
Proud Sponsor of Enchant PPX
http://www.lakeoffire.net
http://www.youtube.com/VisionLakeofFire
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM   #36 (permalink)
espz

Quote:
This is meant to be a very serious atmosphere for the diehard fans as opposed to the casual fan that just wants to get drunk, socialize at the bar, and yell for Freebird.
Well I don't really drink, and I don't know anyone to socialize with (YET! Hopefully that'll change!)...but I do love me some Freebird....so I guess that leaves me out! And while I am a HUGE fan of Oliva....I'm not really a "fanboy" per se...but his thoughts on writing WOULD be something I'd be interested in. I am very interested in behind the scenes type things and to see how the creative process works for different people.

While I might not be able to get in, I still fully encourage you on this one. This is a great idea and I hope it's something that might grow later.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:22 AM   #37 (permalink)
Kong

I can't really put into words what an awesome experience it is every time
we get together to work on songs. While our basic approach to recording
is not really different from other's, Oliva puts a very unique spin on the
creativity and the recording. He plays all the instruments on the demos.

But the most impressive thing I think you will all see is to watch him
play an entire drum kit on his keyboard simultaneously. 10 fingers playing
in perfect rhythm creating a single stereo track of a complete drum
performance...it makes me laugh and always in total amazement every time
he cuts "finger drums". You have to see it to believe it...

Can't wait to bring this experience to all of you...Jon has been wanting to
do this for a long time.

See you there!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
skyrefuge

I was lucky enough to be able to observe a similar situation years ago when Jon Schaffer and Hansi Kursch needed one more song for the first Demons & Wizards album. In the evening they sat around their extended-stay suite in Tampa with Jon playing riffs on his unplugged guitar and Hansi humming vocal melodies, and the next day they started putting the song together in the studio. For someone like me who is so loves *listening* to music, but knew very little about the realities of *creating* music, it was a really interesting and enlightening experience. It sounds like this will be something very similar (plus "finger drums"!), so a really cool opportunity for some lucky folks. I already think it's something that should be repeated every year with different artists, so we can compare and contrast styles and methodologies! Heck, I think it's such a good idea that Glenn should run with it, turn it into a regular series, and make it the next cool thing following in the footsteps of Daytrotter.

Neil
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
sccaldwell
Guitarist Wannabe

What a wicked-cool idea for a special event!!! Kudos to everyone involved for some *seriously* "out of the box" thinking on this one! Hope I get to attend...this should be cool!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:30 PM   #40 (permalink)
Arabianhazard
You're not you, you're me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael LenGraden View Post
Jon Oliva could be washing dishes and I'd by a ticket...He is one of my all time artists... Very cool idea Glenn!
I would pay up to $35 to watch Jon Oliva wash dishes and hum something off of "Hall of the Mountain King".
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:08 PM   #41 (permalink)
nailz

While I'm not the Savatage or Jon Oliva fan others on this forum may be, I think this would be one of the most interesting insights to musical creation offered. Consider me interested just for knowledge sake. How cool!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:58 PM   #42 (permalink)

So is this "event" to be a combination of studio video footage and live dialogue?
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:29 PM   #43 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
So is this "event" to be a combination of studio video footage and live dialogue?

I'm not sure what gave you that impression, but that is incorrect. Jon will be performing all instruments in person, recording them, and then mixing the demo of the new song in the same room with you.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:48 PM   #44 (permalink)
kellsco

The more I think about this, the cooler it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by espz View Post
I don't know anyone to socialize with (YET! Hopefully that'll change!)
Yay! Someone else coming from New Mexico! That makes 4.....

Proud Co-Sponsor of Divided Multitude for PP USA XV
Co-Sponsor of Circus Maximus for PP USA XIV

Co-Sponsor of Sinbreed for PP XIII
Co-Sponsor of Mob Rules for PP XII
Co-Sponsor of Delain for PP XI
Co-Sponsor of Orphaned Land for PP X
Co-Sponsor of Andromeda for PP IX
Co-Sponsor of Redemption for PP VIII
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not sure what gave you that impression, but that is incorrect. Jon will be performing all instruments in person, recording them, and then mixing the demo of the new song in the same room with you.
OK, that's different and potentially interesting. Depending on the ticket price, it could be appealing.

With descriptions of "final mix" and "a song which will appear on a future JOP record" led me to believe a studio setting with mixing boards, not to mention multiple instruments, studio soundproofing and fancy mics. But then you also state live. So I was confused. Of course, in this day-and-time, the mixing can be done on a laptop ... I don't know how good, but it can be done. Of course, your reply, now indicates this will be a final "demo". And that makes more sense than a final studio quality song.

I certainly like the bonus songs Jon added to the Savatage reissues in 2011. They are stripped down versions of classics done in a demo style which provide new depth to the songs. Jon's voice, while not as smooth as Zak, is very emotive and draws you in. What he lacks in range and grace is more than made up in style.

So if this PP event will be more of the same, but with a new song, I can see the appeal. I hope it works. I have doubts about distractions from the crowd. Some of the PP fans are very noisy, especially the drunks ones who may have trouble sitting still for two hours. Jon's acoustic show from a few years ago is a prime example.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:31 PM   #46 (permalink)
nailz

I would imagine anyone who's being a douche will be removed and thrown out onto his or her ass.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:02 AM   #47 (permalink)
Palabra de Dios
Heavy Metal Weatherman

I'm having a hard time visioning what this will be like, but I have to say it's an interesting idea. And it's Oliva, so you know it's going to be cool. I just hope he's his same charismatic self just like with the acoustic/piano set a few years back!

But I'll go ahead and say that I hope the main shows are not Savatage related. If they are, I'll still go and I'll still sing along, no question, but we've already had WoMD, Oliva acoustic, and JOP. What more do you people really want? If it's taking this long to confirm, you know it's something special...so it likely won't be something we've seen before.
Bleed for me...I wish it so
and streams shall meet such rivers
and seaward they shall flow

We'll burn the temples, of the righteous Rend them as ashes, to the four winds
As ashes... to the four winds"

-- Primordial "The Burning Season"

Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:47 AM   #48 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailz View Post
I would imagine anyone who's being a douche will be removed and thrown out onto his or her ass.
Correct. Biffle had best re-live his memories only in his mind if he plans on attending.

There is also a difference between only 150 seats compared to 300 standing room only. This is being advertised up front as a serious atmosphere compared to the normal party mode as in the past.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:53 AM   #49 (permalink)
Dolamite S. Biffle
Biffliest Person Ever

I have now come to appreciate it Jon WAY MORE then I used to and I would hate myself if I got as wasted as did the first time. Jon is now my favorite song writer so I will behave.

“Its all about escapism,” says Scott Waldrop, guitarist for Twisted Tower Dire. It’s the antithesis of bands like R.E.M. or Pearl Jam. For me, Power Metal, or traditional Metal, is like a soundtrack for slaying the singer of Creed."

"Dude, can you shut the fuck up for the next 3min and 12 seconds so I can play the next fucking song?!?" - Jon Oliva
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM   #50 (permalink)
tenebre

That is one of the coolest ideas ive seen. Very cool!