ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Creeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloanna View Post
I think it was already mentioned but I have the cassette of the Pat Boone's Heavy Metal Album. I also have EZO's EZO cassette.
I might still have both EZO on cassette, but I do have them on CD as well. I loved that band.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
TheLongshot

Some of the stuff I have:

First, rare:

My copy is a bootleg. Interesting that one of the members was a pre-GnR Matt Sorum.

Original release, before the album was rereleased.

Again, the original release, which has since seen a rerelease.

As for weird:

I love Birdsongs Of The Mesozoic. Pretty intense, challenging instrumental prog rock. But they do this album with a gospel singer singing spirituals and it is just...weird.
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Grabbed this off the net because it's a nice, clear scan of the DC Cooper disc I have:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
TribunalRecords
Record Label(s)/Vocalist

forgot about these.

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
euleria
the last in line

My first thought was:

but then a quick check on ebay showed scads of these for sale, so perhaps it isn't all that rare.

Then I thought of the 1st edition of the Body Count album (pre-Charleton Heston), but that isn't so curious.

Finally, I settled on the recording I searched the longest to find:

Tom Jones's first single, "Lonely Joe" b/w "I Was A Fool". The sessions were recorded and released by Joe Meek. The backing tracks were recorded by the Outlaws, and yes indeed, Ritchie Blackmore gets to sneak in a little lead guitar work.

By far the weirdest album in my collection is almost certainly
Old March 12th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
TribunalRecords
Record Label(s)/Vocalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Some of the stuff I have:

First, rare:

Totally have this on vinyl. haha. CD is bootleg, naturally.

Old March 12th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
Creeps

People here might be very interested to see this demo compilation from Tampa Florida back in the 80s... Halifax was produced by Jon Oliva, Keith Kollins Krunch, Kamelot and Iced Earth to name a few

Old March 12th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
TheLongshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribunalRecords View Post
Totally have this on vinyl. haha. CD is bootleg, naturally.
Wikipedia says that there are genuine CDs that were released. In any case, I know mine's a boot. Don't much care, since it is the only way I can get it.
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #34 (permalink)
TribunalRecords
Record Label(s)/Vocalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Wikipedia says that there are genuine CDs that were released. In any case, I know mine's a boot. Don't much care, since it is the only way I can get it.
oh it was definitely released on CD, but i was implying that i have never known anyone to actually own an original and i managed a independent CD store for over 15 years. N O B O D Y had it.

Old March 12th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
dtguitarfan
Prog Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
the other:

Bought it on a whim because of the potential for cheeseball power metal suggested by the album art and band name., not knowing what to expect from it. What i got was some pretty good instrumental prog/fusion with some metal elements. And one very obvious Dixie Dregs tribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8KiEJlWpqo
Pretty sure the whole thing is up on youtube
I actually like it a lot.
Dude, this is so funny because I was going to say I had this as a rare/weird album. I like it a lot too. Also, I'm not sure how rare this is, but I know I paid a ridiculous amount for it (something that made my wife mad): I have the Japanese edition of The Great Escape by Seventh Wonder with the bonus track on it. Paid about $40 for that bonus track.
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #36 (permalink)
MetalNations

EZO - Fire Fire
Exxplorer - Symphonies of Steel
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtguitarfan View Post
Dude, this is so funny because I was going to say I had this as a rare/weird album. I like it a lot too. Also, I'm not sure how rare this is, but I know I paid a ridiculous amount for it (something that made my wife mad): I have the Japanese edition of The Great Escape by Seventh Wonder with the bonus track on it. Paid about $40 for that bonus track.
I guess it depends on where you got it. I bought mine at a used book store and it set me back like ten bucks.

I mean, it's a good thing I ripped it before all my CDs were stolen, otherwise I'd be pissed. It's easily one of the better rare/uncommon things I own.
But you're seriously the first person I've talked to who has even heard of it, but given the nature of these forums, I shouldn't be *too* surprised.
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
dtguitarfan
Prog Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
I guess it depends on where you got it. I bought mine at a used book store and it set me back like ten bucks.

I mean, it's a good thing I ripped it before all my CDs were stolen, otherwise I'd be pissed. It's easily one of the better rare/uncommon things I own.
But you're seriously the first person I've talked to who has even heard of it, but given the nature of these forums, I shouldn't be *too* surprised.
Eh, I'm not that special - I bought my copy off of the internet after hearing them on internet radio. Not sure which internet radio station I was listening to at the time - maybe deliciousagony...
Old March 14th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
zinescene

I've got a copy of Parish - Envision which featured Ben Jackson from Crimson Glory. Rachels Eyes was a great song.

Also have Sabbat - History of a Time to Come (Thrash) (1986) and from Sweden, Parnassus - In Dolorium Gloria (Symphonic Black Metal) (1995)

Old March 14th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
mėtålspėd
Umlauts ist Krieg

I sold off my copy of Agalloch's "Of Stone, Wind and Pillor" a few months ago (hated to, but my familys needs came first).. think I got almost $300 for it. That was probably my rarest. Ive got some other gems here, but that one took the cake. Wish I still had it

Edit: One of my favorites off that disc

Last edited by mėtålspėd : March 14th, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #41 (permalink)
Ghost Wind

White Hott S/T

is probably the rarest thing I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PAbYNOQqmAE
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #42 (permalink)
Orion Crystal Ice
Rider of the Astral Fire

Rarest? probably something out of these:

first three The Chasm CD's (all near mint)
Under Moonlight Sadness - After the Cosmic Gate
maudlin of the Well - all three (original releases)
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Power of Omens - Eyes of the Oracle
Immortal Souls/Mordecai split - Divine Wintertime/Through the Woods, Towards the Dawn
Boris with Michio Kurihara - Rainbow (Japanese release)

can't think of the rest right now..

I have all these Japanese mini-LP prog remasters but I don't know that those are really rare as they are expensive/available through only a few stores.

Odd stuff, well, usually people would say "weird" is the most dissonant or noisy thing, in that case it might be Boris - Cloud Chamber...which is Boris being noisy in a whole other way, or Wadada Leo Smith - Lake Biwa, which is something like chamber classical meets the most extreme of free jazz ... Smith, by the way, is a phenomenal trumpet player who has been influential in free jazz/creative music for 30+ years, highly recommended stuff. If I were to say "weirdest" myself, I might vote for Wadada's 'Luminous Axis' album, a trumpet/percussion/laptop performed piece of music, which to me, is something that seems like people will only start getting in like 15 years, or maybe Herbie Hancock's 'Crossings', which goes to space, and comes back by way of the back of your cerebral cortex.

http://www.skylinermusic.com
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #43 (permalink)
Prog_Please

As far as CDs go, I think my rarest / weirdest are my Ambeon - "Fate of a Dreamer" CD and my Nest - "Trail of the Unwary" CD.

As far as my vinyl collection, probably my Agalloch - "WhiteDivisionGrey" LP or my Ahab - "The Call Of The Wretched Sea" LP (my favorite of my collection).

R.I.P. ISIS
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
Virtual Scott
Allroundniceguy™

I guess "Perpetual Destiny" by Seventh Sign?

Scott Mosher | Oceans of Night
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #45 (permalink)
MetalAges
Ultimate Metal admin

Love that White Sister release! I was listening to their other one Fashion by Passion the other day actually.

For me, I have never met anyone else that knows and has heard this band that I love from the early/mid 80s:

Hard to describe the album. It had a lot of different, often weird, things going on (metal/punk/rock/experimental). Ahead of its time, or in another time altogether!

There are some tracks on Youtube:

Old March 17th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #46 (permalink)
Hammerlock

That's a tough one. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person (or at the very least, the first person) in North America to own a copy of Helion "Fool's Paradise". I had to contact the band directly to get it, and they said they'd never shipped to the USA before. Also own one of the "official" copies of "The Neverending Sun" by Onward, from right before they broke up (so stoked that they're back together now), and I have a lot of the old Bluelight Records reissues of Tarot's back catalog.
Old March 17th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #47 (permalink)
grilled_cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribunalRecords View Post

forgot about these.

Now add to those demo's this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200726703701...84.m1555.l2649
Old March 18th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #48 (permalink)
TwizstedJesus

I have the Nasty Savage "Wages of Mayhem" demos on cassette, with the copying machine cover, autographed by the entire band, from back in the mid 80's. This was back in the tape trading days, where you could order a demo from an ad in the back of a magazine. 20 years later they officially released this, which I also bought, which may or may not also be rare, since I never see it around anywhere
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #49 (permalink)
Primal
Motley

White Eagle - Bustin' Ass (EP) on CD. (Ebay average selling price for this is over 400.00)

Old March 19th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #50 (permalink)
Justin G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
Grabbed this off the net because it's a nice, clear scan of the DC Cooper disc I have:

Apparently I have a new Holy Grail to chase.

News Editor/Senior Columnist, www.hardrockhaven.net

On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/justinsgaines

Lego meets metal at www.facebook.com/bricksofthebeast