ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

The Future of ProgPower USA

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
grogg

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
MysticX9

Really tough to hear but understandable; I'm planning on passing out PP cards at several concerts this summer so hopefully that will help...
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that. I have always been a supporter of the festival, even if I disagree with some of the band selections ... for my own musical taste. I am guessing the Nightwish and Kamelot show didnít generate the expected crossover festival tickets. At least not yet.

If the festival ends, then maybe Glenn will move upscale and start the ProgPower cruise.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Azrael LenGraden
Lake Of Fire

WOW....That SUCKS.... I will continue to do all in my power to spread the word.
Proud Sponsor of Vanden Plas PPXII
Proud Sponsor of Enchant PPX
http://www.lakeoffire.net
http://www.youtube.com/VisionLakeofFire
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly known as Chris F5

I tend to think its the overall expense of the event that is the reason why this is having a hard time selling out so quickly these days.
Even 5 years ago you could find lodging under $85 a nightwith no problem within walking distance,now you have a run down Super 8 that is the only inexpensive lodging option within walking distance.
You could do an entire Prog Power weekend for only $500 per person,between lodging skyrocketing and now transportation (though flights are still cheap relatively speaking)
You are looking 800 to 1000 per person,and this is just including buying a few CDs and keeping things on the cheap
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
ApolloFC
Sax-Man

Thats sucks. Coming down to atlanta in september has been my traditional vacation for the year so I'll still continue to do that if anything else. Lets hope things don't come to the worse
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Meteornotes
Crazed Diet Coke Addict

This saddens me more than anyone could possibly understand. This is the only festival worth attending in the US. I don't think people understand what they're potentially going to lose. Look at the past roster of bands that have played this festival. Would you have had the chance to see the majority of them without this festival? I think not.

I would like this festival to go one for another twenty years, but I know that cannot happen. Still, I hope it continues on for awhile longer. You have my sponsor money until you decide to close up shop. This I promise you.

dt
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hammerlock

Holy shit! That's tragic, ProgPower has become a yearly tradition for me and my sister for years now and I'd be crushed to see it end!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
seh750

I'm really bummed to hear this, but very glad I found the fest a few years ago, it's been a big highlight of the year for me. Let's hope for a sellout so PP may continue!
Primal Fear
PaganFest / Turisas
Dream Theater
VNV Nation
Lacuna Coil
Leaves Eyes
Fates Warning
Nine Inch Nails
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
pack1fan4life

I hope that my first PPUSA experience isn't the last.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
MYSTIC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly known as Chris F5 View Post
I tend to think its the overall expense of the event that is the reason why this is having a hard time selling out so quickly these days.
Even 5 years ago you could find lodging under $85 a nightwith no problem within walking distance,now you have a run down Super 8 that is the only inexpensive lodging option within walking distance.
You could do an entire Prog Power weekend for only $500 per person,between lodging skyrocketing and now transportation (though flights are still cheap relatively speaking)
You are looking 800 to 1000 per person,and this is just including buying a few CDs and keeping things on the cheap
My thoughts exactly. Even tough I would have loved to see some of the bands that have played/ will play I can't justify that large expense. I go to a lot of shows , so it's not like I don't support the scene. I have other expenses/ trips I'd like to take so unfortunately I can't be there.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Midihell
The Fountain Of Lamneth

Anyone who has an interest in seeing this festival continue, needs to get the word out however they can. Time to put on the ole pimpin' shoes and get to pimpin' the fest.. The sooner this sell's out, the better it is for Glenn, as he can play catch-up with getting bands signed up for the next fest.
Proud PPUSA XV Co-sponsor of Withem
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Bear
Got Shred??

damn..Well can't say I dont know what that feels like. We put on two fests and we were out, its just to damned expensive and the economy sucks balls,specially on the west coast. Ha! my gas today was 4.27 a gallon, just sayin...

Never the less Glenn, hopefully you sell out and can continue. I just have to say that I have seriously enjoyed every PPUSA that I have attended since the beginning and although I have missed 4 of them due to life's never-ending way of throwing obstacles in my path I knew I would always return , like this year but I do not want to to be the last.

Also Glenn so very very much appreciate all you have done for us and the US progressive and power metal scene...Let it just be a bump in the road

Bear
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sumeet

This is certainly a difficult thing to hear, however, given the economics of the situation, it is understandable. I'm glad I could help support the fest by generating some ticket sales over the years among friends and acquaintances, as well as gradually increasing my own gold badge order over the years. But when it comes down to it, it is a massive amount of work to put on a show like this, and the financial situation has to make sense in the end... and that comes down to the overall interest level of the fans.

Speaking for myself though, if Glenn puts on a ProgPower USA show, I will be there. However, if it turns out it is indeed time for the fest to come to an end, I will most certainly look back upon these past 12 years of festivals very fondly.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
zedowns

I've been coming to this fest since I was 16. I don't know what life is without PPUSA

Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
GoRillaBoy76
you can call me RRrrr!!

this is sad. well here is hoping for a sell out.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Formerly known as Chris F5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSTIC1 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Even tough I would have loved to see some of the bands that have played/ will play I can't justify that large expense. I go to a lot of shows , so it's not like I don't support the scene. I have other expenses/ trips I'd like to take so unfortunately I can't be there.
I plan on doing my part....the girl in my sig pic is a very known model and she is going this year,I'm sure she can help spread the word as well
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
DADRocks

It would be sad if this is the last year, though I think this is the fest's strongest lineup yet. Due to this lineup, I've got 2 new people coming this year.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
rockme53

Location: bardstown Ky, the home of great bourbons and whiskeys
I don't know what to say.This has been my vacation for several years, along with Troy and Joel. This is very sad indeed, but Glen, thank you so much for everything,sincerely.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
compurocker
rocking out

Hope it sells out and you still have time to put on a stellar XIV. But if not, it was a good run and I'm thankful to have gotten to go since X. Only wish I had discovered it 9 years prior!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Creeps

My 1st time was PPIII and I attended a total of 5 times, 4 of which I was a GB holder. Life kicked me around and I haven't been able to afford to go back since. It's not the ticket price.. it's pretty much the lodging and everything else that kills me. The price of the ticket has never been a concern. Seems like Atlanta is very pricey compared to a lot of other cities with international airports.

Wish you all the best and I've always been a strong supporter of your fest, be it talking people into going (a friend of mine is going this year even though I cannot.. been trying to get him to go forever) or praising it on a podcast.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
pack1fan4life

I wonder if this is really what the Mayans were predicting?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
BobbyWilliamson
Keyboardist in Eumeria

It's a sad thought, to think it might end - however, it would definitely go out with a bang!

I'm diggin the lineup. The fact that a lot of bands have been there before doesn't turn me off.....because they are great bands that I barely ever get to witness live unless I go to PP.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Mardoch
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack1fan4life View Post
I wonder if this is really what the Mayans were predicting?
Feels like it. This is the next best thing to religion for me. It can't die.

I'm going to browbeat those I think have the best chance of coming. I'm already driving myself so they don't have much excuse to not come with, imo.