ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
miel
Mrs. Harvester

Sushi while at PP

The past 3 years, I've seen a good many posts, comments, jeers, wishes, etc. all regarding sushi dining while at ProgPower USA, so I thought this warranted its own post.

Glenn and I do not live in Atlanta, which sometimes makes restaurant recommendations difficult. But we have done our research and want our attendees happy!

Sushi lovers may want to check out:

RA
1080 Peachtree Street, Suite 8
Atlanta, GA 30309
Mon. - Sat. 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Phone: (404) 267-0114
http://www.rasushi.com/
https://www.facebook.com/​RAsushiAtlanta

It's on the corner of 11th & Peachtree.. 1 block past Vickery's & Front Page News. Click here for map.

Also on the map, you'll find Shout! - they offer a $10 all-you-can eat sushi lunch.

For a list of all nearby restaurants, click here.

~Jen
YouTube Channel
Tumblr
Flickr Group
Pinterest
Instagram new!
Vine new!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
AMBR
Goddess of Chaos

Had the all-you-can-eat sushi at Shout! Somewhat limited selection, but varied enough for me. Fast service and a whole lot of sushi for a very reasonable price.

Check out my updated photo website at ambrphoto.com

http://www.beyondearcandy.com
Past sponsors of Kamelot, Angra, Epica, After Forever, Amorphis, Rob Rock, Crimson Glory, Brainstorm, Nocturnal Rites, Tarot and Mob Rules, Amaranth, Heaven's Cry

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Justin G

If you're serious about sushi and are willing to spend a bit more for higher quality, I highly recommend MF Sushi Bar (http://www.mfsushibar.com/). It's not exactly close to the venue, but it's easily the best Atlanta has to offer. This was my wife and my "occasion" place for anniversaries, etc. when we lived in GA. Sit at the bar and ask the chefs for recommendations, and they'll usually throw some cool surprises your way. Damn I miss that place.

News Editor/Senior Columnist, www.hardrockhaven.net

On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/justinsgaines

Lego meets metal at www.facebook.com/bricksofthebeast
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dolamite S. Biffle
Biffliest Person Ever

Fair warning for those that go to Ra, it is a corporate chain restaurant and its like eating a night club. Theres super loud techno playing all day. Though they clearly hire their waitresses based how good they look with as little clothes as possible which is a plus in my book

“Its all about escapism,” says Scott Waldrop, guitarist for Twisted Tower Dire. It’s the antithesis of bands like R.E.M. or Pearl Jam. For me, Power Metal, or traditional Metal, is like a soundtrack for slaying the singer of Creed."

"Dude, can you shut the fuck up for the next 3min and 12 seconds so I can play the next fucking song?!?" - Jon Oliva
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
PeteyNice

Atlanta is not exactly a sushi paradise. In fact, I would not consider any of the recs so far in this thread to be amazing.

If you have a car, there are options..

Sushi House Hayakawa on Buford Highway is very good:
http://www.atlantasushibar.com

If you are willing to go even further out and don't mind a trip to the suburbs, Haru Ichiban in Duluth off 85 is probably the best sushi I have had in the metro area.

http://haruichi.net/
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Berek2000

Thank you for the recommendations Jen. Since I am staying an extra day this year, I will have to check them out.
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
miel
Mrs. Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
In fact, I would not consider any of the recs so far in this thread to be amazing.http://haruichi.net/
All of the restaurants listed within this thread are within 3 miles of the venue, as the vast majority of attendees do not have a car and have limited time for dining. Also, I believe the average attendee doesn't expect to be amazed with their restaurant choices, but rather with the musicians on stage.

~Jen
YouTube Channel
Tumblr
Flickr Group
Pinterest
Instagram new!
Vine new!
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Formerly known as Chris F5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Gaines View Post
If you're serious about sushi and are willing to spend a bit more for higher quality, I highly recommend MF Sushi Bar (http://www.mfsushibar.com/). It's not exactly close to the venue, but it's easily the best Atlanta has to offer. This was my wife and my "occasion" place for anniversaries, etc. when we lived in GA. Sit at the bar and ask the chefs for recommendations, and they'll usually throw some cool surprises your way. Damn I miss that place.
If this is the place in Buckhead I think this might be the place me,Van Dyk,Crooks,and Lotesto went to
easily the best sushi in Atlanta,in fact,rivals the best I have had
and it is very expensive(I rang up a $95 bill myself,but worth it)
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
OrbWeaver
ProgPower Hug-slut

The all you can eat Sushi at Shout! is worth it. As AMBR said, the selection is limited, but what you get is really good.
"Spider venom comes in many forms. It can often take a long while to discover the full effects of a bite. Naturalists have pondered this for years: there are spiders whose bite can cause the place bitten to rot and die, sometimes more than a year after it was bitten. As to why spiders do this, the answer is simple. It's because spiders think this is funny, and they don't want you ever to forget them."
-Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Co-sponsor of Tyr for PP XI and While Heaven Wept for PPXII
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
MeTuLHeD
Great BIG member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miel View Post
1 block past Vickery's & Front Page News.

Front Pages News rules!

Sorry. I know. Off topic. I suck.

But they have the BEST cheesecake...geez. Must...not...eat...fat...stuff.
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Matt Crooks
www.fools-game.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly known as Chris F5 View Post
If this is the place in Buckhead I think this might be the place me,Van Dyk,Crooks,and Lotesto went to
easily the best sushi in Atlanta,in fact,rivals the best I have had
and it is very expensive(I rang up a $95 bill myself,but worth it)
Yes, it's the place we went, and it's awesome.
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Formerly known as Chris F5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Crooks View Post
Yes, it's the place we went, and it's awesome.
Did you try that seared white tuna with truffel soy sauce I got like 3 orders of($10 a pop for 2 pieces,and every bite worth it)?

I think I officially found my new place to blow large sums of $$ to replace the Cheetah
and I get more out of it
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
JenniferLynn
AKA Irish

When we stayed at the Inn at the Peachtrees there was a Marta stop close by. Just above that stop was a few places to eat set up kinda like a food court at a mall... There is a sushi joint in there that at first I was frightened to consider eating at but there was a line of 10 - 15 people so I dared... and it was AMAZING and cheap.

I have to make it a point to go back this year...

Save some time to dream 'cause your dream may save us all ~ John Mellencamp
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
miel
Mrs. Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
When we stayed at the Inn at the Peachtrees there was a Marta stop close by. Just above that stop was a few places to eat set up kinda like a food court at a mall... There is a sushi joint in there that at first I was frightened to consider eating at but there was a line of 10 - 15 people so I dared... and it was AMAZING and cheap.
Do you think it was Colony Square? They have a Moes, Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, Blimpie, Great Wraps, and Shout! (the place that has a $10 sushi lunch).

~Jen
YouTube Channel
Tumblr
Flickr Group
Pinterest
Instagram new!
Vine new!
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
J-Dubya 777
It NEVER ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTuLHeD View Post
Front Pages News rules!

Sorry. I know. Off topic. I suck.

But they have the BEST cheesecake...geez. Must...not...eat...fat...stuff.
Joining Chief Tecca in the awesomeness that is FPN! ALWAYS friendly staff, and ALWAYS a great, reasonably priced meal.ANd they have Newcastle in pint bottles!
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Fizrider
Quasi-Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
If you are willing to go even further out and don't mind a trip to the suburbs, Haru Ichiban in Duluth off 85 is probably the best sushi I have had in the metro area.

http://haruichi.net/
This is where a lot of Japanese ex-Pats as well as travelling asian business folk get their sushi fix in Atlanta.

If you time it right, it is not a crazy drive from the venue. Their Friday lunch offerings are typically in the $10 realm, and are very good. I used to live/work in Duluth, and this place was a weekly stop for me.

I have never eaten at Shout! but I have dined often at its sibling Twist!, and can recommend this family of restaurants.