ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 13th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
KingsGene
God of Thunder

THEOCRACY - Debut Album To Be Re-Released

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/186842#.UAAsffXelpg :

"The debut album from the Athens, Georgia-based melodic metal band THEOCRACY will be re-released through Ulterium Records. The album was originally released through Metal Ages Records in 2003, and is very rare and hard to find. No release date is set for the re-release yet, but more information and updates will follow.

Theocracy vocalist Matt Smith comments on the re-release: "A lot of people ask us how to get the debut Theocracy album, which is long out of print. Well, you won't have to wait much longer, because it's going to be re-released through Ulterium Records! We went through a lot of discussion about how much we wanted to rework it: Do we re-record the whole thing with the new lineup? Do we just release it as-is? There were a lot of ways we could go, but ultimately we decided that people love that album and it's a snapshot in time, so we didn't want to completely redo something people are attached to. We'd rather present the best-sounding version we can of what's already there, with one change that seemingly everyone wants to hear: real drums! Shawn's going to record drums to the tracks that are already there, and then I'm going to remix it, so it should be killer. Right now I'm going through the tracks and trying to get everything organized and usable (some of those recordings were really bad!), and soon we'll be ready for Shawn to lay down the drum tracks. Keep checking in, and we'll keep you posted as it unfolds!"

The latest Theocracy album As The World Bleeds was released in Europe on November 25th through Ulterium Records, in North America on November 21st through Nightmare Records and in Japan on April 25th through King Records.

As The World Bleeds debuted at #40 in the Billboard Heatseekers Chart during the first week of release.

For more information on Theocracy visit Facebook. "

http://www.kingsofthenight.com - the Midwest's hottest Kiss tribute!
http://www.facebook.com/archivekc - reviving the forgotten treasures from the vaults of rock!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old July 13th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
pack1fan4life

I can't wait! The drums and production were the only bad parts about this album.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
OrbWeaver
ProgPower Hug-slut

Fantastic! Can't wait to get my hands on this.
"Spider venom comes in many forms. It can often take a long while to discover the full effects of a bite. Naturalists have pondered this for years: there are spiders whose bite can cause the place bitten to rot and die, sometimes more than a year after it was bitten. As to why spiders do this, the answer is simple. It's because spiders think this is funny, and they don't want you ever to forget them."
-Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Co-sponsor of Tyr for PP XI and While Heaven Wept for PPXII
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
TychoCelchu

I have the original but I'll get this since it's worth hearing real drums on it. Serpent's Kiss oughtta be good.
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sir Exar Kun

Quote:
I have the original but I'll get this since it's worth hearing real drums on it. Serpent's Kiss oughtta be good.
Ditto!

While the overall sound is better on the newer albums, I think this is still the strongest songwriting..... Can't wait to hear it.
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
VenomGA
At War With Stan

good album, but I love the latest one the most

Donít throw stones if you live in a glass house....
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
edgeofthorns
He carves his stone...

This is great news! I once had the original version, but I have no unearthly idea what happened to it.

~Brian~
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
adaher

I bought the original when it first came out. I'd love a re-recording of the better songs, maybe live in studio? Maybe as bonus tracks on the next album?

Adding real drums should definitely up the quality though.
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
SeaStorm

Video update from Matt Smith covering the approach they are taking to re-doing the first album, as well as his commentary on the meaning/history of each song:

Old November 6th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
edgeofthorns
He carves his stone...

Looking forward to this Mr. Smith!

~Brian~
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
GhostofCain

I ordered this off of Matt's site back in 2003 back when he was promoting it on the Mike Portnoy forum. I had no idea he was doing this to it, I've always wanted a better sounding version of this album. This should be killer, not a bad track on that album, just sub par production. I'm proud to see how far Matt has come over the years. DOUBLE BASSAH!!!
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Matt Smith
THEOCRACY

Thanks guys! It's coming out killer--can't wait for you to hear it. I appreciate the kind words.
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
OrbWeaver
ProgPower Hug-slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Smith View Post
Thanks guys! It's coming out killer--can't wait for you to hear it. I appreciate the kind words.

EEEEEEEE!!! (incoherent squeal of glee)
"Spider venom comes in many forms. It can often take a long while to discover the full effects of a bite. Naturalists have pondered this for years: there are spiders whose bite can cause the place bitten to rot and die, sometimes more than a year after it was bitten. As to why spiders do this, the answer is simple. It's because spiders think this is funny, and they don't want you ever to forget them."
-Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Co-sponsor of Tyr for PP XI and While Heaven Wept for PPXII
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sumeet

Looking forward to picking it up at a vendor table next year. The video is pretty cool too... of course the real drums make a big difference, but even with the rest of the stuff where the original tracks are being remixed, it's an interesting insight for a non-musician as to how much of a difference mixing / production can make.
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
KingsGene
God of Thunder

THEOCRACY Upload Teaser Video For Remixed Debut Album

http://www.kingsofthenight.com - the Midwest's hottest Kiss tribute!
http://www.facebook.com/archivekc - reviving the forgotten treasures from the vaults of rock!
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Palabra de Dios
Heavy Metal Weatherman

Holy shit, man. It's like I'm hearing it for the first time. I played the shit out of this album when I got it years and years ago. It sounds so much more alive! Can't wait to have a copy of this in my CD player and in my collection!
Bleed for me...I wish it so
and streams shall meet such rivers
and seaward they shall flow

We'll burn the temples, of the righteous Rend them as ashes, to the four winds
As ashes... to the four winds"

-- Primordial "The Burning Season"

Old July 26th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Matt Smith
THEOCRACY

Old July 26th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Random Axe
Common Sense Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeofthorns View Post
This is great news! I once had the original version, but I have no unearthly idea what happened to it.

~Brian~

It was "called home" Brian.

This is an instant purchase upon release, Matt. This is a great idea to rework bits of this. Much like Brian I cannot find my copy anywhere so this will be like a new release to me. Great, great stuff.
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Met-Al

The samples sound great! I thought the original version of this album was pretty good, especially considering that Matt did the entire thing himself. However, these samples show just how these songs were meant to be heard. It's like hearing the re-recorded "Savage Poetry" by Edguy. The original showed that the band had promise, but the newer version was absolutely remarkable. I look forward to hearing the entire album.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Matt Smith
THEOCRACY

Thanks guys!
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Kez
pronounced Keez

Awesome. Just awesome. I'll be re-buying!
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
labarum
Cotton Candy Collector

Re-release the shirt and I'll buy that in a heartbeat as well!
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Matt Smith
THEOCRACY

Released today. Hope you guys enjoy. Amazon is already sold out and for some reason it's not up on iTunes yet (ugh), but you can get it at Amazon MP3:

AmazonAmazon
Thanks for the support as always.
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Kez
pronounced Keez

Need the real thing. Still a disc guy. Got any I can buy directly from you?
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Matt Smith
THEOCRACY

Sure, you can buy from us directly at TheocracyMerch (at) gmail, or get it on Amazon (they're back in stock). Many thanks!