RC  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > RC
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Reign in Acai
Gnats before thy gums

Just listened to the song "Finisterra" off their website. Consider this purchased.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Reign in Acai
Gnats before thy gums

Damn isn't out until the 24th of April.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Nate The Great
What would Nathan do?

So I've finally come around to this new Moonspell. VERY good stuff. Possibly one of the year's best.

What other albums do they have like this?
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
J.
Old Fart

Wolfheart hasnt done much for me, honestly. I may actually lke their other stuff better. I remember hearing a track from Butterfly Effect and liking it.

Old June 7th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
Erik
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great
What other albums do they have like this?
None really, but I suppose you would want to get Wolfheart and Irreligious
Old June 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
Nate The Great
What would Nathan do?

J., do you have the new one? It's GLORIOUS!
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
General Zod
Ruler of Australia

Wow... I think I heard 5 seconds of Moonspell, a few years ago, and wrote them off as a band that doesn't interest me. I threw "Memorial" on my iPod, probably when it first came out, and never bothered to listen to it. For some odd reason, I queued it up last night, while lying in bed and trying to sleep. Wow... this disc floored me. It's dark, melodic, and as someone else so noted, "sinister". I'm not familiar with their previous works, but god damn if this aint the shit. Judging by what others have said, forget what you know about Moonspell and give this CD a clean slate. This disc is a perfect vampire movie translated to song.

Zod

Stephen F. Roberts
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #33 (permalink)
EricT
Don't you ever get...

Memorial suprised the hell out of me.

I was bored of them after Irreligious, and then someone told me last year "Dude, just shut the fuck up and listen to Memorial, it rules". So I listened to it and was impressed.
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #34 (permalink)
skeptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Wow... I think I heard 5 seconds of Moonspell, a few years ago, and wrote them off as a band that doesn't interest me. I threw "Memorial" on my iPod, probably when it first came out, and never bothered to listen to it. For some odd reason, I queued it up last night, while lying in bed and trying to sleep. Wow... this disc floored me. It's dark, melodic, and as someone else so noted, "sinister". I'm not familiar with their previous works, but god damn if this aint the shit. Judging by what others have said, forget what you know about Moonspell and give this CD a clean slate. This disc is a perfect vampire movie translated to song.

Zod
I actually did the same exact thing with Isengard last night. I've had it in my shelf for years, and my eyes would always glance past it when looking for something to listen to because I didn't care for it when I first bought it, but my eyes hit it last night, and was compelled to put it on. Let's just say that I'm glad I did.
Old March 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
Walter_Langkowski
Neuroses Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

Zod

I think they are probably one of the most consistent Metal bands out there. I have purchased their stuff since the first album. I like heavy bands with a Gothic-esque approach, and Moonspell qualifies. You really can't go wrong with anything in their catalog, IMO. Although "Sin" might be a little lightweight to some, but I still think it is brilliant. It's a shame they really haven't gotten any sort of foothold in America, even though they have toured here around four times now.

Cool you like the album.
-Chuck Schuldiner, 1995.

"The riptide lies ahead, all my passions now are dead
I can see the path you never thought to follow
I feel so hollow"
-Warrell Dane, 1999.

"I live for you but... I'm not alive..."-Layne Staley, 1990.
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #36 (permalink)
skyrefuge

I still haven't really gotten into 'Memorial'. Yeah, it's heavy and intense and all that, but that's never really what I looked for from Moonspell. Like Zod said, it's probably a 'clean slate' thing; it just happens that I liked the dirty version of the slate more. 'The Antidote' actually isn't too far off from 'Memorial', but it's a little more 'open', and just has better songwriting to my mind.

'Wolfheart' remains their masterpiece of black-folk-metal, and while I wasn't looking for a 'Wolfheart Pt. II' ('Memorial' was conceived as a return-to-the-roots sort of thing), I guess I was hoping for something equally innovative, and 'Memorial' isn't it. Ever since they reached the peak of experimentation with the excellent 'The Butterfly Effect', they've been descending back to the conventional. Well, at least they're still a kickass live band.

Neil
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #37 (permalink)
\/oidhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
Don't they have a split with Deathspell Omega? Or is that some other "moon" band?
That would be MOONBLOOD.

Come on baby raise your knife; welcome darling to my sacrifice...
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #38 (permalink)
Claws of Perdition
Wipes sitting down

finally ordered Memorial this morning /gaybutnotlying

Audioscrobbler
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #39 (permalink)
General Zod
Ruler of Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrefuge View Post
I still haven't really gotten into 'Memorial'. Yeah, it's heavy and intense and all that, but that's never really what I looked for from Moonspell. Like Zod said, it's probably a 'clean slate' thing; it just happens that I liked the dirty version of the slate more. 'The Antidote' actually isn't too far off from 'Memorial', but it's a little more 'open', and just has better songwriting to my mind.

'Wolfheart' remains their masterpiece of black-folk-metal, and while I wasn't looking for a 'Wolfheart Pt. II' ('Memorial' was conceived as a return-to-the-roots sort of thing), I guess I was hoping for something equally innovative, and 'Memorial' isn't it. Ever since they reached the peak of experimentation with the excellent 'The Butterfly Effect', they've been descending back to the conventional. Well, at least they're still a kickass live band.

Neil
Thanks for the insights. I definitely intend to delve into their back catalog. Sounds like, given my fondness for 'Memorial', 'The Antidote' is probably the best place for me to start.

Zod

Stephen F. Roberts
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
J.
Old Fart

interested in hearing this band's later stuff. been reading about their recent stuff and its almost unanimous it's among their best. i didnt like wolfheart really...at all.

best place to start? antidote or memorial?

Old January 24th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
Nate The Great
What would Nathan do?

Memorial is their best by FAR.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 04:11 PM   #42 (permalink)
Reign in Acai
Gnats before thy gums

New Moonspell, these fucks are coming out with a double album at the end of the week. One disc is supposed to be heavy as fawk, the other of a more gothic vibe.

A star has risen on northern skies
And on that star we'll be crucified

Old April 23rd, 2012, 04:52 PM   #43 (permalink)
einride
mørkt var om natta

this is HELLA GOOD

it's pretty cheesy and overtly theatrical with the video and all but these are some actual good, inspired riffs & ideas
Old April 23rd, 2012, 04:57 PM   #44 (permalink)
Reign in Acai
Gnats before thy gums

Aye. Pretty consistent with their material from The Antidote & Memorial. The vid is rather ass, sans the hot gook and the dancers. Bands need to stop wasting moolah on such visuals.

A star has risen on northern skies
And on that star we'll be crucified

Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:01 PM   #45 (permalink)
lurch70

yeah that was rather good ... although it reminded me of newer Satyricon for some reason ... also is that Vinny Daze on drums?
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #46 (permalink)
lurch70

every song a jewel ...

Old April 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #47 (permalink)
Dick Sirloin
please... stay safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sirloin View Post
Yeah, but every time I see it, I think it's an olde english way of saying "noon," in which case your thread title reads:

another band where noon cares about their new stuff... MOONSPELL

and then I wonder, how can the sun at it's highest point in the sky give a shit about it's enemy, the moon???
I was stoned over six years ago. Nice.