RC  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > RC
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
lurch70

need a new pda/cell phone

ok, so i have to go phone shopping today ... my existing contract with Verizon was up yesterday and been using a 3 year old LG phone on it.

need to step up to a PDA type and switching to ATT/CINGULAR for service.

my needs in order are a. phone b.emai c.text

right now leanign towards the Samsung Blackjack ... was looking at Blackberry's also

anyone care to chime in with real world experiences and some tips on what's good ... danke!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Reign in Acai
Gnats before thy gums

I've had no problems with this phone and I've been using it for aeons.

A star has risen on northern skies
And on that star we'll be crucified

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Conspicuously Absent
Linguistically Confused

does that phone booth have "Angola" written on it? You've been using pay phones in angola?
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
JayKeeley
Be still, O wand'rer!

looks like it says Anguilla

Jerry's already retired to the islands.

Lurch - why are you switching away from Verizon? I was thinking of switching from Sprint over to Verizon just because it's supposed to have great coverage in the NE.
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Reign in Acai
Gnats before thy gums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspicuously Absent View Post
does that phone booth have "Angola" written on it? You've been using pay phones in angola?
LMFAO!!!

The Angolians are not afraid of a hard days work and the sugar cane is oh so sweet.

A star has risen on northern skies
And on that star we'll be crucified

Old November 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Conspicuously Absent
Linguistically Confused

I have a phone. 2 year contract, I pay the equivalent of 7 US "dollars" a month. It rings, and I get 10 free weekend minutes a month (to landlines). Works for me, cheapest deal out there and I'm happy with it.
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
lurch70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKeeley View Post

Lurch - why are you switching away from Verizon? I was thinking of switching from Sprint over to Verizon just because it's supposed to have great coverage in the NE.
Verizon is great, have not had problems with them ... EVER. However, their system is not GSM so its US only ...
Planning to do quite a bit of travelling in the next few years so would like a phone I can swap out sim cards on. Also most of the people I know are on ATT/Cingular.
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
General Zod
Ruler of Australia

I own the Blackberry Pearl. My only complaint with it, is that the internet browsing is tough, because of the width of the screen. However, you can get the Pearl, with a wider screen.

My next phone will probably be the iPhone. If it's helpful, here's a comparison between two of the heavy weights:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/07/25...ek-comparison/

Zod

Stephen F. Roberts
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dark One
The Tainted Dogma

Zod talked me into the Blackberry Pearl, and I'm very glad he did. Worldwide coverage capability, great internet browser and the ability to receive personal email from a bunch of different personal email accounts make this one a winner. It uses a little roller ball mouse and isn't nearly as wide as many of the other Blackberries available.

I got mine new for $99 the week after the Iphone came out with rebates. A steal.

Jason
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dark One
The Tainted Dogma

LOL @ Zod chiming in at the same time.
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dark One
The Tainted Dogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I own the Blackberry Pearl. My only complaint with it, is that the internet browsing is tough, because of the width of the screen. However, you can get the Pearl, with a wider screen.
Hmmm.... I haven't had too many problems browsing (with the exception of UM, which can be a pain logging in and navigating threads). I actually dig the smaller screen because I love to carry my cell phone in my pocket and it's the easiest Blackberry to do just that with.
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
General Zod
Ruler of Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark One View Post
Hmmm.... I haven't had too many problems browsing (with the exception of UM, which can be a pain logging in and navigating threads). I actually dig the smaller screen because I love to carry my cell phone in my pocket and it's the easiest Blackberry to do just that with.
Yeah... UM is impossible, with all the graphics spread all over.

The size is perfect. However, there's always going to be trade offs. I think I like the idea of having the true PC interface that the iPhone offers, as well as having my MP3 player and cell phone in one device. And once that thing integrates a navigation system... sold.

Zod

Stephen F. Roberts
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dark One
The Tainted Dogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
While it isn't perfect, my solution has been to log in first and make sure that you have signatures turned off (if you don't log in signatures automatically appear). It's still a pain to navigate due to everyone's avatars, but not nearly to the same degree - only when there are threads with a bunch of pictures in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ
The size is perfect. However, there's always going to be trade offs. I think I like the idea of having the true PC interface that the iPhone offers, as well as having my MP3 player and cell phone in one device. And once that thing integrates a navigation system... sold.
Yeah, if you recall I almost went with the iPhone before getting the Pearl because I loved the idea of an iPod and phone together, but the price was ridiculous and as you indicated, version 1.0 should never be on anyone's buy list when you know it will continuously be upgraded and refined.

I'm sure at some point when supply catches up with demand and the inevitable price slash hits I'll end up doing the same.
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
lurch70

ok, so i came from the cell phone peddlar and did not get anything yet, except a headache and more confusion.

Greg, Jason ... so you guys pay an extra $40 a month for the "PDA media" plan? ... internet, email etc. on the Blackberry?

the phone mister told me its a MUST on the Blackberry but on the Treo's and Blackjack you can get away with a much cheaper $20 media plan

btw ... now i'm between the Blackberry 8310 and the Palm Treo 680

Blackjack seems to be out of the race ...
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dark One
The Tainted Dogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch70 View Post
Greg, Jason ... so you guys pay an extra $40 a month for the "PDA media" plan? ... internet, email etc. on the Blackberry?
Yes, but it's definitely worth it. Mine is actually $30 extra, not $40.
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
NAD
Beardless Mystic

Do what I did, walk into Verizon and say "I need a phone that is... you know, just a phone."

They gave me one of these:

It has a camera but it takes really shitty pictures so I suppose I'm somewhat okay with it.

I had a ButtBerry at my last job, I can't imagine anyone willingly paying to be tied to the office.

But then again you own your own business so maybe you care or something.
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
General Zod
Ruler of Australia

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
btw ... now i'm between the Blackberry 8310 and the Palm Treo 680
Check CNET.com for full reviews and commentary from people who own both phones.

Quote:
Blackjack seems to be out of the race ...
It should be. Its battery life is a joke. It's so bad (I think two hours) that they actually started shipping it with two batteries.

Zod

Stephen F. Roberts
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
lurch70

yeah, so I picked up a Blackberry 8310 Curve ... love it so far!

Quote:
download the Opera Mini Browser ... works a lot better than the built in Blackberry one.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Nate The Great
What would Nathan do?

Can you view/change Excel documents on a Blackberry?
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
lurch70

yes you can ...

hola Nate!
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
dorian gray

ATT sucks, btw.
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
General Zod
Ruler of Australia

Hey lurch... how are you liking the Curve? I'm considering picking one up.

Zod

Stephen F. Roberts
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
lurch70

its freaking great so far ... no bugs, etc.

the only thing that i don't like is that it does not work with yahoo messenger. But from what I read this is only on At&t accounts.

i need an online place to download freebie games for it ... so if anyone of you know such a place ... por favor
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
lurch70

Quote:
i need an online place to download freebie games for it ... so if anyone of you know such a place ... por favor
?
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Carabeu
Part Two

In case anyone's interested in buying a gay phone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LG-Venus-Verizon...3A1|240%3A1318