RC  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > RC
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Dick Sirloin
please... stay safe

"Human, please explain."

COLLEGE: more exciting basketball (some would call this a better "product"). It's more about "the organization" (since players cycle out every four years). Single elimination tournament. Better rivalries (this is not even close, football or basketball wise). Fans are more passionate (it's just true). Seeing players grow up and come into their own. Filling out brackets. Crazy home court advantages. Conference tournaments. The one-and-one. Epic comebacks. The full court press. The three-point shot (some college teams literally live and die by the three, which makes the tournament even crazier). The upsets. The mid-major nobody schools that come out of nowhere to dominate. College chicks. Drinking. College chicks. Drinking.

NBA: some asian dude.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
swizzlenuts
Smoke Pipe

You pretty much just said why you like college basketball better. I'm not going to argue that you should like NBA more. I do agree that the tournament is fun, and you get some unexpected outcomes. I'm arguing that the NBA is not a joke league and the basketball is better. If you like the shit on the side rather than the actual basketball, fair enough.

as an aside: the full court press is a technique for bad players and teams to try and make the other team to make a mistake. The reason why they don't do it in the NBA is that the players are much better at passing and awareness of the game and usually make an easy shot. That's not better basketball.
"The three of us sat there, quietly and with our eyes closed, for 37+ minutes. When it was over, we turned to each other and, without saying a word, gave each other high-fives." - Ogre after listening to Plague of the Planets for the first time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dick Sirloin
please... stay safe

I believe there’s a difference between what we consider “good basketball.” To me, “good basketball” comes down to passion: that shit on the side. If you’ve never had a hardon for a college team, and had to sit through a nail-biting, ass-clenching NCAA game, then you’ve missed out. It seems that, to you, “good basketball” entails a bunch of elite automatons showing off their skill-sets and ability to run the 1-3-1. Sure, they’re the best at what they do. But to think that this automatically makes the NBA “superior” is missing the point. Sports don’t take place in the operating room.

Also, the NBA is a fine league. Right now, it’s probably the best its been since the late 90s. I was never one of the haters. And of course the full court press isn’t run in the NBA because the players are better and smarter. That was never under dispute. It’s the same reason no one ever runs the triple-option in the NFL.
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
swizzlenuts
Smoke Pipe

Right. I don't hate college hoops because I'm a fan of basketball. I'd rather watch a 7 game series with the best teams battling rather than a fluke team winning. I can see why people like single elimination, but it's more of a gimmick. Most people that do argue with me think I intellectualize sports too much; I think that's the best way to look at it, though.

Your arguments are fine, with respect that it's more of the experience. Just don't tell me it's a joke league or it's bad.

EDIT: I'm actually watching the OKC game from last night. Fucking Durantula and Westbrook are so fucking fun to watch.
"The three of us sat there, quietly and with our eyes closed, for 37+ minutes. When it was over, we turned to each other and, without saying a word, gave each other high-fives." - Ogre after listening to Plague of the Planets for the first time.

Last edited by swizzlenuts : February 20th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
dorian gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzlenuts View Post
by playing really tough defense
that was really scientific

today at work a U2 song came on the rock station, so i said "fuck this shit" and walked over to the radio and changed it to the classic rock station, and they were playing a newer U2 song. you win this one, radio bastards.

Last edited by dorian gray : February 20th, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
dorian gray

Quote:
long and hard
lol
today at work a U2 song came on the rock station, so i said "fuck this shit" and walked over to the radio and changed it to the classic rock station, and they were playing a newer U2 song. you win this one, radio bastards.
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
dorian gray

Quote:
NCAA has heart. They players care about the game more because they are student athletes? That's the same trope about college football. If we make this argument, it should hold to all professions. We don't think people who do science for fun or for free are better than the professors at universities or research institutions.

It's not my fault that at college games you have drunk college kids and mouth breathing townies at these games, making it more "electric". I don't give a fuck about that. It's what is on the court, and since college hoops has a bad product, they need electricity.

These arguments are more just like saying the Minor Leagues in Baseball are better than the MLB. Your arguments hold the same weight.
awesome and hilarious post
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
neal
wizard in black

the Kings are gonna move if we dont build them a new arena. they still owe us like 80 mil on the last arena that was built 25 years ago. the city wants to lease out all the parking in the city for 50 years for the upfront cash to build this thing. im not really sure how this is supposed to be a good idea.

Drop out of Life with Bong in Hand

Follow the Smoke toward the Riff filled Land

Last edited by neal : February 20th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
Dick Sirloin
please... stay safe

To combat the Ice Queer thread.......

Old April 26th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
dorian gray

^ not sure what that is
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
swizzlenuts
Smoke Pipe

Fucking Bucks. Also, the heat v knicks is going to be fucking ace.
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #37 (permalink)
swizzlenuts
Smoke Pipe

I'm also glad the bulls wont have to play the Pacers.
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #38 (permalink)
Krilons Resa
High Infidelity

Quote:
Fucking Bucks. Also, the heat v knicks is going to be fucking ace.

No it won't. wtf?
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #39 (permalink)
swizzlenuts
Smoke Pipe

what the fuck are you talking about? The knicks are playing really well. They have finally put an offense that lets melo be melo, and their new coach is making them play great defense. The heat are going to win, but that doesn't mean it's not going to be fun.

Watching melo and lebron go at it? that's going to be fucking ace.
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #40 (permalink)
Krilons Resa
High Infidelity

i fucking hate carmelo anthony and lebron james.
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #41 (permalink)
swizzlenuts
Smoke Pipe

I am guessing you hate them outside of basketball. They are fantastic ballers.
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #42 (permalink)
Krilons Resa
High Infidelity

it still doesn't compare to you v. marzi
Old April 27th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #43 (permalink)
Ellestin
one-click buy

So are the Suns shit now? I used to support them when they lost to the Bulls in the final like 20 years ago?
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #44 (permalink)
lurch70

oh man ... Heat vs. Knicks ... fuck me ... when is this fiasco start?
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #45 (permalink)
swizzlenuts
Smoke Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krilons Resa View Post
it still doesn't compare to you v. marzi
That was the best basketball game ever.
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #46 (permalink)
Krilons Resa
High Infidelity

It really was.
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #47 (permalink)
Dick Sirloin
please... stay safe

The lil asian ain't playing though, is he? THAT would make this series ASF. Then again, if he hadn't gotten hurt, this prob wouldn't be a first round matchup.

I'm pulling for Denver in the west (loooooove me some Ty Lawson, almost to the point of gayitude) and anyone-not-named-the-Heat in the east.

Top three RC threads right now are sports threads
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #48 (permalink)
Reign in Acai
Gnats before thy gums

Fucking octaroons.

A star has risen on northern skies
And on that star we'll be crucified

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #49 (permalink)
swizzlenuts
Smoke Pipe

I'm rooting for the Bulls and The Durantulas
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #50 (permalink)
dorian gray

In grade school I was heavily into basketball (the era of bird and magic, mind you) but now I couldn't tell you what half the teams in that bracket are

Nice story huh