Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Zine > Reviews

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
circus_brimstone
Jason Jordan

Demonoid - Riders of the Apocalypse

Demonoid – Riders of the Apocalypse
Nuclear Blast Records – October 5th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

I must confess: I didn’t see this one coming at all. What has essentially blindsided me is Demonoid’s Riders of the Apocalypse. If you do the least bit of research, you’ll probably encounter information stating that the aforementioned contains former and current members of perennial-metallers Therion. Well, I’m proof that you don’t need to idolize Therion to enjoy Riders of the Apocalypse. The latter is rewarding in its own right.

We’re led into “Wargods” with entrancing drums, then death hits soon afterwards. The 1:00 minute mark brings a fantastic, harmonious lead that is anything but dull. The riffage within Riders of the Apocalypse is nothing short of mesmerizing. From the get-go, it’s decipherable that incomparable musicianship inhabits the disc as well. “Firestorms” begins with excellent vocalizations, and those arresting riffs return; the instrumental sections, like most other parts of this record, are very captivating. “Witchburners” follows and is seemingly drab until the proverbial 1:00 minute mark, where variation – both in guitar and drums – elevates the song’s overall presence and worth. “14th Century Plague” utilizes a tranquil beginning, but musters enough strength to obtain heaviness soon after its inception. The track plods along a predictable course for most of its useless length. Fortunately, it soon segues into the superior “Hunger My Consort.” Parts of the latter remind me of a heavier Strapping Young Lad. Out of nowhere, though, (2:40) the band delve into Opeth territory with their juxtaposition of heavy and soft; it’s a nice insertion. “Arrival of the Horsemen” builds to a crescendo and is subsequently gripping through its unparalleled riffing and superb outro. “End of Our Times” and “Death” are fitting ends to what began with “Wargods.”

Though Riders of the Apocalypse is not a perfect record, it succeeds insomuch that its accessibility compels me to listen. Seriously, this is great stuff. Arguably this is the finest release from Nuclear Blast Records this year. And from Demonoid…who knew?!

9/10

Ultimatemetal’s Interview with Demonoid
Official Nuclear Blast Records website
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cervantes
The undead general

Superb record.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
sasha

agreed...and then some.

what's holding us from giving 'riders...' a well deserved 10? a concrete effort. actually more than an 'effort'...an effort would imply merely trying and getting damn close. when in fact it's there and dead on. a thrash masterpiece by which many others will be judged this year....and next year.

Old November 21st, 2004, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
PaulRawNerve
QUIM!

definitely like this album a lot, recommended it to a mate as well who bought it and totally loves it too..
was well happy to receive this for review!!
\m/