Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Zine > Reviews

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 5th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
circus_brimstone
Jason Jordan

Rotten Sound - Exit

Rotten Sound – Exit
Willowtip Records – WT-034 – February 17th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

Willowtip Records is quickly becoming the latest incarnation of The End Records. In other words, everything the label releases just oozes with quality not unlike Rotten Sound’s Exit. The aforementioned grind record is astounding. Furthermore, I’m fully convinced that I should sift through their back catalog as well.

As grind tradition prescribes, Rotten Sound are frantic, furious, and fast. Hahto’s incredible drumming is noteworthy as are certain magnificent moments like the 1:20 minute mark in “Burden.” The production has a real crunch to it, and there’s a disabling heaviness that emanates from Exit. Mostly, the group traipses along from song to song, all the while presenting innovative fills, rhythms, and structures. The tempo differentiation – when used – is excellent, and I found myself desiring much more than the twenty-eight minutes that is Rotten Sound’s latest. The band rarely trudge, but examples such as “Slay” and “The Weak” confirm what one would think prior to hearing them: the band is just as uncompromising slow as they are fast. Sloths the quartet are not.

So, if you consider yourself a grind aficionado, then Exit should fit snugly into your collection. In my horde, Rotten Sound will be sitting proudly next to acts like Japanische Kampfhorspiele and Pig Destroyer. Well, not literally because I keep my CD’s organized alphabetically, but you get the point.

9/10

Official Rotten Sound website
Official Willowtip Records website
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 24th, 2005, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rodrigo
Voice of Unreason

This is a fantastic album and its only drawback is that its too short like you said.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!