Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Zine > Reviews

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #101 (permalink)
walkinbazooka
Pimpest White Boy You See

Well, we all know that Opeth have released some AMAZING stuff. And I do agree that this is not their best album. However, I was very impressed with this album. Sure they went in a different direction; musically and slightly with the lyrics. But it is undeniably a solid album.

With the exception of The Grand Conjuration all of the songs fit and are entertaining. (don't get me wrong I like TGC, I just think it isn't fitting and lacks textural variety). but some people need to stop saying 'Oh it's no BWP or Orchid.' because, of course it isn't going to be BWP or Orchid...IT'S A BAND THAT CHANGES AND MATURES.

They couldn't keep putting out those albums forever and that's not necessarilly a bad thing.

/end rant.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 6th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #102 (permalink)
Edias

I picked up this album, finally, and I'm impressed with it. In a lot of ways, I think this is better than Black Water Park. It's not needlessly dark/dreary while still packing a punch and it is very well played. I can see myself listening to this, often, for some time to come.

9.5/10

(the -.5 comes from the fact that they don't explore much outside of their treaded path, not that that is too much of a bad thing; they are the ones who started it in the first place)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #103 (permalink)
biggsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edias View Post
(the -.5 comes from the fact that they don't explore much outside of their treaded path, not that that is too much of a bad thing; they are the ones who started it in the first place)
Listen to Deliverance or Blackwater Park followed by Ghost Reveries (listen properly, not distracted) and you'll change that opinion. The growls have been drastically reduced, the sound is overall more progressive rock-ish and the keys add a completely new dimension to the music. Add to that the clear cut production (something I don't really like but that's personal preference) and countless other factors, and you realise this is the biggest step in a new direction since My Arms, your Hearse.
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #104 (permalink)
camo_barker

was it this album that they officially had the keys lad in
Old January 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #105 (permalink)
Edias

Yes, from my understanding.
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #106 (permalink)
camo_barker

Ahhh i see...i reckon they use the keys pretty well...somtimes bands can overuse them and they loose their impact...but Opeth do a good job.
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #107 (permalink)
beast from the east

I have to agree with the "naysayers" on GR. Although I am a full blown Opeth fanatic, I was somewhat disappointed in this album. I found myself not really getting into the heavy songs on this album, with the exception of Ghost of Perdition and parts of Harlequin Forest (The Grand Conjuration is one of my LEAST favorite Opeth songs). The prog stuff is all pretty great, IMO (especially Atonement - the best song on the album).

This album has all the Opeth elements I have come to love so much, but it's lacking something...I really can't pinpoint it. I listen to Orchid, Still Life, BWP and Deliverance on a regular basis...but GR doesn't get much play. Anyway, it's OK, because as someone pointed out, Mike likes bands that experiment, so maybe he just missed the mark here. With that said, I am eagerly awaiting the next chapter in the Opeth saga!!!
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #108 (permalink)
Sabin Frost
Doom makes me happy

Soldier of Fortune, the Deep Purple cover is utterly amasing and really all of the softer elements of the album are right up there with the bands best.

Reverie/Harlequin Forest is actually up there with one of my favourite Opeth songs but I was not a fan of The Grand Conjuration at all. Still, I think way too many people are too harsh on the album, sure they went for more shorter tracks (still not short mind you) but they didn't let themselves down in doing so.
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #109 (permalink)
MasterT44
In the Groves of Death

Was it really the best idea to have an Opeth fan review an Opeth album? I don't mean to sound like an asshole (although I probably will); biased...
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #110 (permalink)
Nichrome

I thought it was the best Opeth album in years. After the drivel that was D&D and the painfully mediocre Blackwater Park, this album fucking kicks some ass. Mikeal back to his best.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:02 PM   #111 (permalink)
TylerTheNuke
I have eaten you

I miss the "coldness" of their previous efforts, and I do agree that the writing is much more predictable. However, I still enjoyed this album a lot since it is very intellegent and it is very creative with the whole chugging motif, and explores a lot of directions. So, I'm saying it has less heart and isn't as earnest, but I like it for reasons other then heart and earnestness.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:53 PM   #112 (permalink)
slayerized_metalhead

The first time i listened to this album, it didn't really apeal to me, but i've been listenin to it quite a bit lately and its really growing on me. some of the songs such as baying of the hounds, and ghost of peridition are pure brilliance IMO. I think its definately one of mikael's best vocal performances (both growling and clean vocals) and i think lopez's drumming is definatley at its finest on this album. Well done Opeth!!!
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #113 (permalink)
harvestofsorrows

well done to opeth on this one.. not their best but definatly up there.
Old June 30th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #114 (permalink)
Violens

Probably, in this moment, my favourite album of Opeth
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #115 (permalink)
combustion07
Weed and Metal baby!

The worst opeth album in my opinion.3/5.
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #116 (permalink)
HoursOfDebt
Perfect Tantrum...

oops....

Last edited by HoursOfDebt : July 18th, 2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #117 (permalink)
HoursOfDebt
Perfect Tantrum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustion07 View Post
The worst opeth album in my opinion.3/5.
really? I though GR was an amazing album. what album do you think is their worst besides this one?
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #118 (permalink)
livingparadox

Hmmmmm... GR is alright, but does not rank as highly as their first 5 albums. Opeth started to repeat themselves quite some time ago already, and sorry to say, but I started losing interest from the Deliverance and Damnation albums. GR is better that either of them, but I feel that they will not be able to match the sheer brilliance that they had on Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms, Still Life and Blackwater Park. Sorry, just my two cents worth.