Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Zine > Reviews

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
circus_brimstone
Jason Jordan

Kekal - Acidity

Kekal – Acidity
Fear Dark Records – FD016 – March 2005
By Jason Jordan

I’m back in the loop, fellas. After obtaining Beyond the Glimpse of Dreams and Embrace the Dead, I dropped off the map as far as The Painful Experience and 1000 Thoughts of Violence are concerned. At any rate, the Christian Indonesian avant-garde black metallers Kekal have returned with their fifth full-length – Acidity – and I’m proud to announce that it’s renewed my interest in what this unique group is doing.

Kekal haven’t ever been satisfied playing simple BM. On the contrary, they have a penchant for incorporating progressive tendencies as well as synthesized effects, guitar leads, and a bevy of varying vocal approaches. Acidity, likewise, isn’t that much of a departure from what I remember, though the production values have increased dramatically and the overall proficiency has risen steadily it seems. Melody junkies will find a lot to like, in any case, as the group is still bent on including as much of it as they can. The black metal vocals are as rupturing and torturous as they’ve ever been, but I can’t say I’m a fan of the cleaner takes. Those seeking a fine example of aggression should hunt the opener, namely “Characteristicon,” and those searching for an exemplary offering of electronica should look no further than “The Way of Thinking Beyond Comprehension.” Needless to say, the marriage of melodic BM with an emphasis on ambient effects makes for an original, enchanting listening experience.

Acidity’s shortcomings are rare, and certainly aren’t going to distract those who have an open mind regarding such experimental black metal. Kekal have krafted a great record to mark their ten-year anniversary, which is chock full of glistening material. I know Indonesia isn’t exactly known for their musical exports, but perhaps that’ll change soon. Even if it doesn’t, this is indubitably worthy of the accolades it receives.

8/10

UltimateMetal's Interview with Kekal
Official Kekal Website
Official Fear Dark Records Website

Last edited by circus_brimstone : November 10th, 2005 at 09:35 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kenneth R.
CinŠed

You've convinced me to pick this up
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Russell
__

Fantastic album indeed. Jason, you should totally check out TPE and 1000 Thoughts, both abolutely top notch
Old October 31st, 2005, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
circus_brimstone
Jason Jordan

@ Silent Song: Great! I think you'll really enjoy it, as your tastes overlap mine at certain points. Anyway, definitely let me know what you think...

@ Russell: Just send me your hard-earned copies of TPE and 1000 ToV, and I'll let you know how it goes! :wink: