Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Zine > Reviews

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
circus_brimstone
Jason Jordan

Zombie Destrüktion – Tales of Morbid Mummification

Zombie Destrüktion – Tales of Morbid Mummification
Self-Released – February 7th, 2007
By Jason Jordan

The unsigned band I was most impressed with last year was Montana’s Martriden – now signed to Siege of Amida Records – but 2007 could very well be the year of Sweden’s Zombie Destrüktion. Seriously, Tales of Morbid Mummification is a great, technically-inclined death metal record that is even more endearing for its comical lyrics, which center on pirates, ninjas, mummies, and of course, zombies.

First and foremost, the trio consisting of Thomas Clifford and the brothers Porsklev is an extremely talented unit as each member handles two, three, or four instrumental duties, respectively, and all of them well. Tales of Morbid Mummification is traditional, yet technical and melodic. Guitar leads are intricate, drum fills are dense, and the vocals are deep growls, except for the clean ones in the catchy chorus of ‘Mummified in Mexico.’ The instrumental sections of ‘Mutilation of the Unborn’ are nothing short of excellent, and quite possibly the highlight of this 10-track record. While Zombie Destrüktion’s lyrics aren’t gore-free, it’s refreshing to read nontraditional DM lyrics, even if they come across as silly, which shouldn’t be an issue with most listeners because the unintelligible vocals obfuscate them to the point where they can’t be deciphered without the inlay. Still, they can be funny.

‘Mummified in Mexico’: “I went down to Tijuana / Was gonna score me some weed / When I was stopped by a truck of ninjas / Said they were gonna make me bleed”

‘The Pirates of Cary B. Aaargh!’: “Watch the pirates coming ashore / Now flee in fear / If they find you they will steal your soul / And drink your beer (your beeeeeer!)”

And so on. Last but not least, everything about ToMM screams professional release – production, songwriting, musicianship, and artwork. Though I’m at a loss when it’s time to compare them to one or more of their peers, Zombie Destrüktion should definitely be looked into if you’re a fan of death metal. My only complaint is that, despite being considered a full-length, it’s a tad short at only 30 minutes. Nevertheless, the band certainly deserves label interest at this point.

Official Zombie Destrüktion Website
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 9th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
BrandonS

Pirates and Ninjas: Can't get much better than that.
Nice to finally see some good stuff coming out of Montana!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nefilim
Rotten undead buccaneer

Jason, thanks for the great review! Glad you like our stuff!
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dr. Abner Mality
Primary Scare Physician

Sounds killer...just the sort of stuff I enjoy! Hope to pick it up soon!
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nefilim
Rotten undead buccaneer

Hey fellas, just wanted to let you know that we've put the entire album online for download (free of course!).

Download the album from our website!

Cheers,
Cary B. Aaargh / Zombie Destrüktion
Closed Thread