Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Zine > Reviews

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 25th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
LuminousAether
My name is Distance

Personally, I think it's their worst album since Dance of the December Souls. The lyrics are utterly atrocious, which is to be expected as Katatonia has always had completely horrible lyrics, but these are the worst yet. The music itself is almost the same as their previous (and far superior) album, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, except Blackheim's melodic leads are replaced with chugga chugga nu metal power chords. I'd give it a 6 / 10 overall, it has some good songs but those are surrounded by dull and trite filler songs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 25th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
LuminousAether
My name is Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrolicht
taranis why does it seem like you are the only one that hears the numetal sound on this album. Nothing on this album sounds numetal at all. Just because the band decided to add a little bit of distortion to their guitar does not make it numetal. There are absolutely no similarities between this band and the likes of linkin park and korn. None whatsoever. This band has immense talent numetal bands do not. This band knows how to write a song that will grab you and never let go. Numetal bands can't do that. Taranis you need to open up your ears a little better and learn to understand what you're listening to.
This is wrong. The nu metal influence on VE is obvious. And of course they were trying to achieve that sound, their playlists on their webpage while they were recording this album were almost completely made up of nu metal, especially from the musicians (Anders Nystrom (Blackheim) and the bass guitarist the most I believe). They stripped their complex melodic leads and replaced them with angsty power chord boredom and added a lot of yelled profanity and other nu metal-isms.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 28th, 2003, 05:57 AM   #28 (permalink)
LulaDivinia

I was very disappointed with Viva; LFDGD had a gritty heaviness combined with mournfull guitars which gave it such emotional impact and a towering atmosphere. I tried hard with Viva but found it bland and colourless in comparison. No offence to those who like it!
Old January 11th, 2004, 05:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
machine
Bare-faced cheek

Just one question.... where are the guitar solos???

I may have missed them 'cos I only heard it once. Seems to me you guys are easy to please.
Old January 25th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Chow Mai Dong
Tipsy McStagger

This was actually my first ever Katatonia purchase. Prior to this I'd never even heard any damn Katatonia.

Love the music, although I've gotta agree with the comment above, in that the lyrics are utterly fucking cringeful.
Old February 15th, 2004, 03:37 AM   #31 (permalink)
ZeDzEdZeD
dispassion player

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousAether
Personally, I think it's their worst album since Dance of the December Souls. The lyrics are utterly atrocious, which is to be expected as Katatonia has always had completely horrible lyrics, but these are the worst yet. The music itself is almost the same as their previous (and far superior) album, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, except Blackheim's melodic leads are replaced with chugga chugga nu metal power chords. I'd give it a 6 / 10 overall, it has some good songs but those are surrounded by dull and trite filler songs.
Totally agree !!!
Last Fair Deal Gone Down was by far better album than Viva. I don't like those downtuned and more distortioned guitars, silly lyrics, no solos. It's like Linking Park covering Metallica's St. Anger or smth.

PS. No offence, Viva is by far better album than most in metal genre but... dissapointing compared to earlier releases.
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
Krishian
vehement coercion

imho it doesn't quite give the warm buzz inside that my favorite Katatonia albums do (Dance of December souls, Brave murder day & Tonight's decision), but nevertheless it's a great album by a great band that deserves to be heard by as many people as possible.

8/10
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
Wanderingblade
Just Hangin' Around

I found this lacking and boring - not melodic enough to beat LFDGD, not strong enough to beat BMD, instead falling uncomfortably between the fences and into a ditch. Maybe I'm just not getting it and I'll try it again some day, but personally, a big disappointment. Good enough in some ways, but not as good as I'm used to definitley...