Seventh Wonder  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Seventh Wonder
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #26 (permalink)
JenniferLynn
AKA Irish

I was thinking yesterday - no really I was!!! - and I can't believe I didn't mention Vanden Plas... Anything by them is amazing... And Jorn's 2 cds - Out to Every Nation and the Duke kick ass too...

Save some time to dream 'cause your dream may save us all ~ John Mellencamp
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 18th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Minoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by floftheim View Post
What do you think of Mind's Eye - A Gentlemans Hurricane? This album is one that i really love. I have listened to Mind's Eye over 400 times in a little over a month now, and almost exclusively to this album. For me this was almost like discovering Seventh Wonder all over again. What is so sad is that there will probably not be any more albums it seems :-(
This! Mind's Eye - A Gentlemans Hurricane is one of my alltime favorites, just fucking incredible musicianship!
And you all should check out Tomorrow's Eve if you like SW and the Mercy Falls album, you will not be disappointed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #28 (permalink)
Frankgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
No one mentioned Shadow Gallery?
Shadow Gallery is my favourite band of all times (look the avatar). I don't think they're so close to SW, anyway any prog lover should consider them.
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Xandra

How could I have forgotten Subsignal? They are not really like SW of course - they are Prog Rock mixed with AOR, but they easily made it into my current Top 5 bands at the moment. Both of their albums are masterpieces of pure beauty.

Last edited by Xandra : February 18th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
JesterIF

^
Both Subsignal albums and the two last Sieges Even (they're pretty much the same band) are some of the best prog albums ever made. Definitely worth checking out.

I also highly recommend Bilateral by Leprous.
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
floftheim
Zeromantix

So much great music recommended here. I'm not gonna comment on every recommendation, but i do check out every single band suggested. Thanks everyone! Keep it coming.
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #32 (permalink)
Minoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterIF View Post
^
Both Subsignal albums and the two last Sieges Even (they're pretty much the same band) are some of the best prog albums ever made. Definitely worth checking out.

I also highly recommend Bilateral by Leprous.
You and Xandra are very right about that. I was devastated to hear that Sieges Even was breaking up, I had listened to Paramount and The Art of Navigating By The Stars. Until I heard about Subsignal and bought their new albums; phenomenal. It's crazy how unknown this band seems to be.

Ow, ans yes, Shadow Gallery sure is something special, just check out Cliffhanger part 2.

But coming back to Seventh Wonder; I don't think there is any band alike and that's one of the strongpoints of them. Still, Tomorrow's Eve...
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #33 (permalink)
fizodan

I'm going to second Sieges Even. The Paramount album is great......... Have you heard anything by Neal Morse? It's very "Christian" and some don't like that, but the musicianship is AMAZING!!!! He has Mike Portnoy on drums. He fronted Spock's Beard years ago. And together they do Transatlantic which is a "not as heavy" prog, but great prog none the less.... I met Andreas at the last Neal Morse show in Los Angeles.

Some of my favorite by Neal Morse......... Some more "proggy" than others.
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM   #34 (permalink)
dtguitarfan
Prog Lover

I read through most of page 1 and skimmed after and agree with all the suggestions. Haven't seen this mentioned yet so: Haken? They're lighter and not as...um...for lack of a better way to put it: show-offish? But I think you might like them. Also you might like A.C.T (Last Epic is their best album).
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
floftheim
Zeromantix

I have just started to try out Haken. They were reccomended in a post on Dream Theaters forum that was linked to here a while ago (The "Heirs"-tread). To be honest i don't remember what I thught about Haken when listening them. I have tried out too many bands lately, so I cant remember which is which. :-) I will check them out again.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:46 AM   #36 (permalink)
dtguitarfan
Prog Lover

Do you live in the states? If so, you should check out the ProgPowerUSA festival. If you live in Europe, there's a european version that seems to get even more bands I like. When I discovered prog metal, all I knew at first was Dream Theater and Symphony X. I started finding others slowly, but when I went to ProgPower the first time I discovered there was a LOT of stuff I liked out there.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:17 PM   #37 (permalink)
floftheim
Zeromantix

I live in Norway. Although I would like so myself, I probably won't be going to any ProgPower festival. With 3 kids, a wife, a busy job and a cat :-) I am having trouble making this happen.
But I am really hoping to catch a Circus Maximus consert here in Norway this year, after their new album is released. If I am lucky the Seventh Wonder comes back to Norway also? I thought it was a bit expensive traveling to Bodø for their latest concert. Although in the same country as I live in it is quite a travel. :-)
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
floftheim
Zeromantix

By the way "Less showoff-ish" is a good thing. The showing off was what made me stay away from prog-metal until last year. By the way, I am not considering Seventh Wonder to be showing off, althougt they definately have the abilities :-)
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
Xandra

Ohh, I love Haken! Saw them live at the Night Of The Prog Festival last year and was very, very impressed. Such young guys and so highly talented! And they seem to be super nice guys! My husband is going to see them again in Rüsselsheim and Pratteln on April 14th and 15th. Sadly I can't join him, because I decided to go see Seventh Wonder instead. Priorities, you know? Haha!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
floftheim
Zeromantix

I see that I have only played Haken 17 times. I will try them out again right now! :-)
What I have listened most to from the reccomendations here, that I hadn't listened to before, are Leprous and Subsignal.
But mostly I still listen to Circus Maximus and Seventh Wonder. It's an addiction :-)

My Last.fm profile:
http://www.last.fm/user/floftheim
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:30 PM   #41 (permalink)
dtguitarfan
Prog Lover

Quote:
By the way "Less showoff-ish" is a good thing. The showing off was what made me stay away from prog-metal until last year. By the way, I am not considering Seventh Wonder to be showing off, althougt they definately have the abilities :-)
Haha, I wouldn't really say Seventh Wonder is "show-offish" either, I just couldn't think of a better way to put it. Yngwie Malmsteen is show-offish. Seventh Wonder carefully orchestrates their showiness. Haken doesn't do as many lightning fast riffs, but their composition is really, REALLY good.

Last edited by dtguitarfan : March 23rd, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:49 PM   #42 (permalink)
dtguitarfan
Prog Lover

Quote:
I live in Norway. Although I would like so myself, I probably won't be going to any ProgPower festival. With 3 kids, a wife, a busy job and a cat :-) I am having trouble making this happen.
But I am really hoping to catch a Circus Maximus consert here in Norway this year, after their new album is released. If I am lucky the Seventh Wonder comes back to Norway also? I thought it was a bit expensive traveling to Bodø for their latest concert. Although in the same country as I live in it is quite a travel. :-)
Also, I am jealous you're in Norway. The only hope I ever have of seeing any cool bands is if they come to Prog Power, except for Dream Theater. Who are extremely awesome. But Europe gets ALL the cool shows, haha. I've got 2 kids myself, a wife, 2 cats and a dog, but it's assumed I'm going to Prog Power every year because it's a tradition I started with two friends before I ever met my wife. But I can imagine it's hard to get your wife to let you go if you hadn't already had the tradition.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:46 AM   #43 (permalink)
floftheim
Zeromantix

It is probably too late to tell my wife after twelve years that I have to go to ProgPower "because it's a tradition". Damnit! :-)
Sounds like a good tradition. Keep it up.
I am starting a new tradition right now: "I always go to at least one Seventh Wonder or Circus Maximus concert a year, if they are held only one flight away from home"! There, now I have written proof on the internets. :-)
Old March 25th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
guitarrizer
www.RockHard.pl

It seems nobody told about Above Symmetry (formerly known as Aspera) or i am blind. Their sound is less symphonic than SW but there are many "dramatic" elements in their music...

Another one is Silent Call, especially their debut album, however they got too much slow tempo songs in my opinion...

I can recommend also second album of Silent Memorial. They sound a lot like Dream Theater (what can never be a shame).

---edit---
Last but not least, you should give a chance to Sons Of Seasons as well.

Last edited by guitarrizer : March 25th, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old March 25th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
Bamafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Ohh, I love Haken! Saw them live at the Night Of The Prog Festival last year and was very, very impressed. Such young guys and so highly talented! And they seem to be super nice guys! My husband is going to see them again in Rüsselsheim and Pratteln on April 14th and 15th. Sadly I can't join him, because I decided to go see Seventh Wonder instead. Priorities, you know? Haha!
They truly are nice guys. For what it's worth, everyone at PP USA said great things about they guys in Seventh Wonder too. Their year was my first PP; had I known more I would have tried to sponsor SW.

Proud co-sponsor of Haken, Kingcrow, Myrath and Voodoo Circle
Old March 27th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #46 (permalink)
Aran

Many great have been mentioned already, but i can add some as well.

Appearance Of Nothing - Both their albums "Wasted Time" and "All Gods Are Gone" are great listening.

Myrath - One of my favorite bands with 3 great albums.

Communic - One of the top prog metal bands from Norway.

Aeon Zen - Rich Hinks is a young extremely talented mastermind behind this band.

Magic Pie - Another Norwegian band which mix old school prog with more newer prog metal.

Threshold - Surprised no one have mentioned them yet....

Oceans Of Time - "New" band from Norway who's soon out with their debut album " Faces". The album is available on Spotify for those with access.

Not all of these are sound like SW, but for a prog "newbie" well worth checking out as well.

@Floftheim: Where in Norway are you located?
Old March 28th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #47 (permalink)
floftheim
Zeromantix

@Aran I am located in Ålesund.
Thanks for the band-reccommendations. Listening to Oceans Of Time right now. Prioritizing Norwegian bands first :-)
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #48 (permalink)
floftheim
Zeromantix

Oceans of Time was really cool. The chances for attending a great prog-metal concert i Norway this year is now even greater. Thanks :-)
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #49 (permalink)
Aran

Quote:
Oceans of Time was really cool. The chances for attending a great prog-metal concert i Norway this year is now even greater. Thanks :-)
Cool, i like it a lot too. Just up my alley when it comes to prog metal. As far as i know there isn't much going on in Ålesund as far as prog metal concerts. At least the bands i like don't travel up there on the coast. It's kind of a dry spell now, but i'll have my SW fix in a couple of weeks going to Milan to see them there.
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #50 (permalink)
floftheim
Zeromantix

You are quite right that there isn't much prog metal going on here in Ålesund. Except for Circus Maximus recording drums their on Oceans Studions at Giske :-)
And maybe Oceans of Time to? Or was that an other Oceans Studios?

I'll probably have to travel to Oslo for concerts, but thats ok.