Suicide Silence  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Suicide Silence
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
EvanTheInfamous

mitch's gnarly lows

i know that fool doesnt inhale because inhaling is gay and SS is pretty much one of the farthest things from gay ever. but man live, them lows sound crazy. all the gnarly vocalists out there (perhaps even mitch himself?), care to discuss technique?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
mattburnsred

the ones at the beginning of no pity for a coward!!

now thats mental
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gold

it's because mitch has the voice of satan himself.

and he probably just practiced for years
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
EvanTheInfamous

i think i discovered the secret yesterday but i refuse to share it. this knowledge i will take to the unholiest of metal graves. actually, holy. satan's a loser, bro.
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
EvanShmevan
supreme allied comander

but without satan, would we still have metal?
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
allshallbow

I've mastered it all.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
laidawaytowaste

Mitch has the sickest lows I've ever heard from any metal band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allshallbow View Post
I've mastered it all.
Prove it.
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
EvanTheInfamous

yeah man, id have to agree. out of all the lows ever recorded ever, mitch has the gnarliest. im trying to figure it out. is he really special? does he record them a certain way (they sound different live)? what's the deal? i want mine to sound comparably gnar.

yeee allshallbow prove dat ish ritt nitty. you got samps or no? link it up, foo!!!
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
EvanTheInfamous

http://www.myspace.com/theskyneversleepsx

throw some music up there, allshallbow and lets here the super sweet mastery of all things gnarly and metal and vocal
Old October 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanTheInfamous View Post
yeah man, id have to agree. out of all the lows ever recorded ever, mitch has the gnarliest. im trying to figure it out. is he really special? does he record them a certain way (they sound different live)? what's the deal? i want mine to sound comparably gnar.

yeee allshallbow prove dat ish ritt nitty. you got samps or no? link it up, foo!!!
he pulls off the same gnarly growls live

but i wouldnt call them the best ever recorded
Old October 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
MitchSilence

Thanks for all the kind words...
And as for everyones Q's
I do not inhale, just from singing every day for months @ a time I'm just constantly learning new shit I can do. Just like practice makes perfect.
And about the diff. between the cd vocal sound and live sound is live I'm able to put the mic. up to my mouth. And during the recording of the record, I was a foot away not able to even get close to or touch the mic.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by RicochetMgmt : October 20th, 2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old October 20th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
EvanTheInfamous

yeah when i record i have to cup my hands and get as close as possible to the mic which is not too close what with the spitcatcher and all that. its just odd how strikingly different you sound from cd to stage. a little proximity to the mic goes a looooooooong way i guess. thanks so much for your time man, this question has been bugging me ever since i saw you in suckramento. cant wait to get back to so-cal.
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
jasonjones

recording from a foot away sucks.

takes some heat off of the vocals.

this is what i ended up with,
www.myspace.com/typhonwi

i'm the singer
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjones View Post
recording from a foot away sucks.
As fellow vocalist I can definitely vouche for that... Live vocals are a breeze in comparison to having to perform them in a studio setting.
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Divest
Pure Evil

I definitely say that mitch's lows are low and brutal, but honestly, what makes a good vocalist to me is being able to at least moderately understand what they're saying. While his low's are really heavy and whatnot, it's difficult to understand him compared to his peers such as Job For a Cowboy, Black Dahlia Murder, etc.

It's not difficult to get that low. As a vocalist I know exactly what technique he's using to hit those lows and it fits the music well, but that's all I can say about it. Don't get me wrong, I think Mitch is a good vocalist, but I just don't think that looking up to someone's lows because of how low and indistinguishable they are is a good thing to do.
Tonight I'll lay beside you, darling, in necromantic sin.
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
sorceron
ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanShmevan View Post
but without satan, would we still have metal?
no

http://www.myspace.com/abigailwilliams
http://www.myspace.com/abortedmetal
http://www.myspace.com/brojovi
http://www.myspace.com/bornoffiremetal

Reamping available!
Amps: EVH 5150 III, Peavey 6505+, Peavey 6505 EVH, Marshall JCM 2000, Orange Tiny Terror, Randall RH100, Mesa recto cab oversized, EVH 5150 III cab, custom hand built tubescreamer with keeley mods, Trident preamp
Old November 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
EvanTheInfamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divest View Post
I definitely say that mitch's lows are low and brutal, but honestly, what makes a good vocalist to me is being able to at least moderately understand what they're saying. While his low's are really heavy and whatnot, it's difficult to understand him compared to his peers such as Job For a Cowboy, Black Dahlia Murder, etc.

It's not difficult to get that low. As a vocalist I know exactly what technique he's using to hit those lows and it fits the music well, but that's all I can say about it. Don't get me wrong, I think Mitch is a good vocalist, but I just don't think that looking up to someone's lows because of how low and indistinguishable they are is a good thing to do.
care to go further into technique, man? if you could explain like anatomically whats going on when you growl that low that would be chill.

and i like mitch's vox waaaaaaaaaaay better than blowjob for a cowboy or black dahlia. theirs arent that low, just grunty. i mean sure you can understand them but mitch has this gnarly resonance with his i dont hear very much at all these days.

i find it sounds better when i dont aim my vocals so low, you know? like still in my chest range, so the notes remain nice and full. the fundamental sound (my actual voice) is not that low at all, i let the overtone (the "scream") do the work for me and sound low.

and if i try and aim them too low they dont resonate and just sound shitty.

anyone agree/disagree have any opinions???
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Divest
Pure Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanTheInfamous View Post
care to go further into technique, man? if you could explain like anatomically whats going on when you growl that low that would be chill.
Not that I DON'T want to, but I can't. I'm a vocalist, not a fucking anatomy major here.

Quote:
and i like mitch's vox waaaaaaaaaaay better than blowjob for a cowboy or black dahlia. theirs arent that low, just grunty. i mean sure you can understand them but mitch has this gnarly resonance with his i dont hear very much at all these days.
What are you talking about? Theirs are probably lower as far as voice pitch goes as opposed to this "gruntiness" that you're talking about. There are plenty of grindhardmetaldeathcore bands that are doing the exact same thing Mitch is doing right now, he's not unique in that sense. Suicide Silence is just the most popular band doing those lows as of right now.

It's like when Slipknot first came out, I'm sure you would have sworn they invented death metal and that their singer was worthy of

Quote:
i find it sounds better when i dont aim my vocals so low, you know? like still in my chest range, so the notes remain nice and full. the fundamental sound (my actual voice) is not that low at all, i let the overtone (the "scream") do the work for me and sound low.

and if i try and aim them too low they dont resonate and just sound shitty.

anyone agree/disagree have any opinions???
I have no idea what you're talking about. Not that I'm saying you're wrong in any way here, it's just hard to get a visual of all this when you're on a forum. In order for us to communicate on vocals effectively we'd have to be A) In front of each other vocally demonstrating our techniques, or B) Anatomy majors.
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
sorceron
ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divest View Post

It's like when Slipknot first came out, I'm sure you would have sworn they
Slipknot is not death metal...

http://www.myspace.com/abigailwilliams
http://www.myspace.com/abortedmetal
http://www.myspace.com/brojovi
http://www.myspace.com/bornoffiremetal

Reamping available!
Amps: EVH 5150 III, Peavey 6505+, Peavey 6505 EVH, Marshall JCM 2000, Orange Tiny Terror, Randall RH100, Mesa recto cab oversized, EVH 5150 III cab, custom hand built tubescreamer with keeley mods, Trident preamp
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Divest
Pure Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceron View Post
Slipknot is not death metal...
Such a keen observation, Ken. Where would I be without you?

Last edited by Divest : November 6th, 2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
EvanTheInfamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by chdrummer View Post
yall are sitting there arguing over pointless shit.

jfac, bdm, ss, all have amazing vocalists.

they all have majorly different vocal styles so why are you even tryin to compare them? its just pointless.

and just fuckin grow up.

forums are actually to discuss things, not argue like were all in 3rd grade again.

keep it fuckin metal.
you're weird, bro. im just trying to break shit down on the anatomical. when we strip away the mysteries and get technical, these things are learned and become 2nd nature. then we can achieve desired results, thus free ourselves from the yoke of "dude, idunno, i jus scream, bro".

and im pretty sure theres not much arguing going on here, turbo. how about you take a few deep breaths, calm the fuck down, read through what we're all talking about again, and give us another totally sweet final thought but slightly less gay?
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Divest
Pure Evil

There's no arguing going on here, ch, that's why everyone is ignoring you.
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
EvanTheInfamous

homie, its minor style differences WITHIN A TYPE. this is a deathmetal vocal discussion, SON!! im comparing dudes with different styles and techniques to achieve the same basic result because i am in fact trying to discuss VARIOUS fucking STYLES AND TECHNIQUES TO ACHIEVE THE SAME BASIC RESULT. now you getting all turbo on us talking about arguing is causing majorly gay digressions that otherwise wouldnt be going on. so thank you for the self-fulfilling fucking prophecy.

go start a drum forum and ill come on and freak out about how everyone is comparing deathmetal drummers. FUCK!!!
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
EvanTheInfamous

naw im over it. it just sucks that in posting about people arguing over "pointless shit" you caused arguing about pointless shit. now you're just trying to put me down. like in the 3rd grade ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
priceofbeautyx3
Brutal Member

Mitch is my idol when it comes to vocals.
he has such range!