Symphony X  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > SymphonyX
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
customaxes87
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36
spite, I dont have any extra tix but just a word of advice, if you cant get an extra ticket show up to the venue anyway, in places like the middle east "soldout" doesnt necessarily mean that, and they might have a few tickets available last minute.
customaxes87 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Entropiastrife
keeper of the keys
 
Entropiastrife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 236
I was at the tour opener last night... the best time i've seen the X bar none. The live version of Through the Looking Glass is absolutely breathe taking. I am really glad that they are whipping out a few different tunes for this tour. And I was in one of the "shitty" local bands playing before X...the one with the keyboardist on the mainstage, heh Well I guess I am seeing them in boston tonight too.... now i must hear some OUT OF THE ASHES!

oh, and the venue ALWAYS has extra tickets for a "sold out" show...just get them early
__________________




personal page

Last edited by Entropiastrife : April 4th, 2008 at 02:01 PM.
Entropiastrife is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
DoomsdayZach
The Professor was right
 
DoomsdayZach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,826
No offense, but what the fuck is wrong with venues putting melodic black/death metal bands on a prog/power metal show? We have the same fucking problem in seattle... why? I'm not saying you can't like the music, but fuck... why?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantoX
I don't think you're a jackass but I do think you drink a lot though.
DoomsdayZach is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Phrozenspite
Inhuman nihilist
 
Phrozenspite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NH, a cultural wasteland
Posts: 580
i dunno but its better then some of them around here do... we had a band with 3 MCs opening for Sonata Arctica earlier this year... not to mention the copious amounts of Metalcore that usually gets piled on
__________________
Let Satan cling feebly to god, they shall be destroyed together.
Phrozenspite is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
DoomsdayZach
The Professor was right
 
DoomsdayZach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,826
Yeah, the Sonata bill here was also abysmal. I know that it's all a numbers game, which bands can pull in the most people, but fucking seriously why not at least *try* to make the openers match the headliners? Such bullshit, like i said it happens all the time in seattle. Personally, i don't give a shit to get my band on these bills... i'd love to open for bands like Helloween and Gamma Ray, but it's not going to ruin my life if it doesn't happen. I just don't want to put up with death and black metal and brocore opening these shows i really want to see. Likewise, i wouldn't want a prog band opening up a black metal show. It's fucking insanely retarded.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantoX
I don't think you're a jackass but I do think you drink a lot though.
DoomsdayZach is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
customaxes87
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36
apparently Into Eternity (who i realy dont like) and Epica (Simone's cool but some other girl is singing tonight cuz Simone's still recovering) are opening tonight in Cambridge..it's not too bad I guess. I remember when that band The Agonist opened for Sonata Arctica at the Palladium the last time I saw them, holy crap what a trainwreck lol. The guitarist thought he was sooo cool, every song hed grab the guitar and hold it up by the neck while chugging on the low E. Dude, you are just beyond awesome.
customaxes87 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #32 (permalink)
Detective Clarence Beauregard
Dehumanized
 
Detective Clarence Beauregard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by customaxes87 View Post
I remember when that band The Agonist opened for Sonata Arctica at the Palladium the last time I saw them, holy crap what a trainwreck lol. The guitarist thought he was sooo cool, every song hed grab the guitar and hold it up by the neck while chugging on the low E. Dude, you are just beyond awesome.
Was it really a low E? Or a low G?
__________________


"I refuse to abandon my work! I've finished my research on the T-Virus, but I need a little more time to complete the more powerful G-Virus." - William Birkin
"Do as you wish. I will follow my initial plan and lure the S.T.A.R.S. members into the mansion. Their superior combat training
should make them perfect test subjects." - Albert Wesker
Detective Clarence Beauregard is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #33 (permalink)
customaxes87
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36
Just got back from the Cambridge show, and I can say that was probably the best Russell ever sang. INCREDIBLE. I got to meet all the guys as usual and hang out, signed all my stuff even though they were just about ready to drop. The intensity of the show was probably higher than any metal show I've ever seen before, even Rus and the band acknowledged that they were blown away. The setlist, not necessarily in order but I think i got all the songs:

Oculus Ex Inferni
Set the World On Fire
Domination
Masquerade
Serpents Kiss
Paradise Lost
Inferno
Walls of Babylon
Smoke N' Mirrors
Egypt
Revelation/Divine Wings Pt. 7
Eve of Seduction
Of Sins And Shadows

Don't think I forgot any, but correct me if im wrong. And yes, you read it right..no Sea of Lies! Oh well, change can be fun. I spoke with the three Mikes and Russell, and they said it was just because they were sick of playing it. I can't blame em, they've probably done it at every show ever since Divine Wings came out. Overall one of the best Symphony X shows I've seen. I was really hoping for Out of the Ashes but you cant have everything .
customaxes87 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
Yngvai X
Dark Emperor
 
Yngvai X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Woodland Park, NJ
Posts: 3,468
I can see a band like Into Eternity opening for SymX tho... there is a crossover crowd for sure. Maybe there is a shortage of appropriate power/prog bands to open for those tours when they come around Seattle?
__________________
Yngvai X is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #35 (permalink)
batera
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 156
Just saw the Cambridge show. It was my first time seeing Symphony X and I was amazed; they were awesome. The opening bands were good, but Symphony owned the night. The performance, tightness and especially energy was just way better when the masters stepped on stage, and Russell is such a personality.

The setlist was the same as the other posted here, except no Sea of Lies and no Looking Glass, but they played Egypt. I guess they played one song less for us?

Anyway, amazing show. The sound was quite good, I could actually hear the singing (which was right on, amazing voice) and many of the solos. I was like "wow, it actually sounds like the CD!" It was a small venue but I was upfront and Russell really made it feel good. Big ups to him for making it a good time. Apparently Romeo let some people touch his frets at one point as well. At the end everyone was chanting "Odyssey!" but oh well, maybe another time.
batera is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #36 (permalink)
customaxes87
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by batera View Post
Just saw the Cambridge show. It was my first time seeing Symphony X and I was amazed; they were awesome. The opening bands were good, but Symphony owned the night. The performance, tightness and especially energy was just way better when the masters stepped on stage, and Russell is such a personality.

The setlist was the same as the other posted here, except no Sea of Lies and no Looking Glass, but they played Egypt. I guess they played one song less for us?

Anyway, amazing show. The sound was quite good, I could actually hear the singing (which was right on, amazing voice) and many of the solos. I was like "wow, it actually sounds like the CD!" It was a small venue but I was upfront and Russell really made it feel good. Big ups to him for making it a good time. Apparently Romeo let some people touch his frets at one point as well. At the end everyone was chanting "Odyssey!" but oh well, maybe another time.
Yeah as I said, when i hung out with the guys and asked em about it they just said they were sick of Sea of Lies, lol. Overall, great show. And yeah, Into Eternity were bearable but not spectacular. The singer is good but i could do without the growls, and the guitar player is very technical but in my opinion he's technical at the expense of good phrasing and melody. Epica was pretty good, but Symphony X definitely ruled.
customaxes87 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #37 (permalink)
Adam Fiske
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 206
Well, technically they also played Death of Balance... so we didn't really get one less song. Seeing as I hadn't seen anything from V on their setlists lately I was pretty happy they pulled Egypt out for us.
Adam Fiske is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #38 (permalink)
Entropiastrife
keeper of the keys
 
Entropiastrife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayZach View Post
No offense, but what the fuck is wrong with venues putting melodic black/death metal bands on a prog/power metal show? We have the same fucking problem in seattle... why? I'm not saying you can't like the music, but fuck... why?
I dunno, I guess maybe they assume that progressive metal fans might be somewhat opened minded to other types of metal/music, as long as it shares some basic common values such as somewhat strong musicianship or not having breakdowns. I guess they obviously are wrong though, since all openers must sound like a downgraded version of SX I guess?

It has to do with the fact that venues get local bands to help bring people into the show by selling tickets. How many local progressive/power metal bands do you know that even exist in your local scene, let alone any that are actually good or can draw anything. Personally, I like diversity with my music and shows I see (which is why this tour is awesome having into eternity and epica).

I saw this evenings show in Boston and it was quite sweet. The show in hartford had a more appealing setlist to me, but tonight had much better sound and a much more active crowd. haill sx. however, as an epica fan, i was disappointed with the new fill in singer...in numerous ways. oh well
__________________




personal page
Entropiastrife is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #39 (permalink)
GT100e
Mustang and Music lover
 
GT100e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Valleyfield Qc Canada
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fiske View Post
Well, technically they also played Death of Balance... so we didn't really get one less song. Seeing as I hadn't seen anything from V on their setlists lately I was pretty happy they pulled Egypt out for us.


Please do that one in Montreal
Missed it in Madrid so I hope to see it in Montreal
__________________
C:\Documents and Settings\Marco\Mes documents\Mes images\GT100eSigBecca essaie1.jpg
GT100e is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #40 (permalink)
progmetaldan
Senior Member
 
progmetaldan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Australia
Posts: 5,895
Dammit, come to AUSTRALIA!!!!1!1!
progmetaldan is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #41 (permalink)
batera
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fiske View Post
Well, technically they also played Death of Balance... so we didn't really get one less song. Seeing as I hadn't seen anything from V on their setlists lately I was pretty happy they pulled Egypt out for us.
Ah, of course, that's right. That was great. It was just the first half of it, but it was perfect.
batera is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #42 (permalink)
SyXified
Senior Member
 
SyXified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 445
Alrighty, I'll try and do a brief (brief for me) review of the Cambridge show last night.

First off, I thought both Into Eternity and Epica were pretty weak. I had not heard anything by Epica but based on their rep I was expecting a lot more in terms of presentation, performance, and songwriting. They were VERY riffy (the first song especially has that one riff that repeated a million times), and I think they were of the impression that those riffs were more interesting than they actually were. I also felt the dirty male vox added nothing to any of their songs and they should just stick with female vox. I will say, however, that Epica illustrated a point I have been trying to make for quite some time - metal sounds better when you turn the volume down. Into Eternity was up so loud you couldn't make out anything aside from very obvious rhythmic stops and starts. Epica let the volume sit at a reasonable level, which was just as powerful and effective, but you could actually hear the notes and chord changes. They also did a nice job with the levels of the keyboard player. Still though, their songwriting did nothing for me, between the first two bands Epica had the only memorable song with the one that had the good chorus that went 'forever... and ever'. Other than that, nothing worth noting.

Okay, Symphony X. First off I agree completely with a couple of prior posts that Russell was dead on and kicking ass - probably vocally the best I have heard him in 5 or so trips. The sound was overall improved, partly due to the venue not being the dreaded Palladium, and partly due to the new sound guy. I thought at times Romeo's rhythm tone was a little bit dry and his solos could have come up more in the mix - I'd lose what was going on in them at times. There were glimpses of having Pinnella at the right level when they boosted him for an important part, but then they chickened out and dragged him back down and buried him in the mix. Keys can have more presence than people realize - guitars cut naturally, keys do not. This was especially an issue during Smoke and Mirrors, where the verse and chorus on guitar are really ancillary to the keyboard chords, but I could not hear the keys whatsoever. Plus, MJR taking over a few of MP's solos was annoying - everyone loves MP, and when he has a chance in a song to solo I want to hear it. His solos in Smoke and Mirrors are two of my favorites ever and MJR took over one and then the other was completely buried.

Anyway, overall quite a good show. If I had my druthers I would have edited out a lot of the Paradise Lost material (it was funny Russ said they were going to do some old/rare songs, and then did purely new stuff or truly typical old songs only). However, the set list was generally appropriate for the venue and crowd, which I have said before for these little metal clubs. One day I want to see X come around and do venues with chairs (not for the sake of chairs, but because that sort of venue lets you do far more mid-tempo and complicated songs without losing the crowd). Even Egypt, which I thought was one of the best performed and best sounding pieces of the night, seemed to lose the crowd a bit. I liked Russ's on stage persona and presentation, but I think he underestimates how much that Patriots loss is a sore spot here . Very lucky most metal fans are not die hard sports fans - that is a very tender subject. Highlights of the night were Death of Balance (which was so in the pocket it was sick), Masquerade, and Set the World on Fire. I thought the only really low spot was Revelation, which was utterly terrible live. I was there with my girlfriend (fan but not die hard fan) and my brother (casual fan) and all three of us independently came to the fact that that piece was terrible live. I wish I had gotten to see Through the Looking Glass because I have seen Egypt/Death before so the only new old song was Masquerade. It was worth dealing with Inferno again to hear them FINALLY NAIL THE INTRO!!! While I am completely sick of that song, they did knock it out of the park. I was glad to see Sea of Lies gone cause it is boring live and I've seen it a billion times. Too bad time did not allow for Out of the Ashes to creep into the encore. So, nice job overall, and man is it evident how the fan base is growing and becoming more die hard with every tour. I believe this show sold out - X will be moving up to the larger venues soon enough.

P.S. had I thought of it I would have warned the band about how damn hot that clubs gets. When I performed with my 80s metal band in avatar gettup there, I was more puddle than person by the end. Thanks for the water bottles.
SyXified is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #43 (permalink)
customaxes87
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyXified View Post
Alrighty, I'll try and do a brief (brief for me) review of the Cambridge show last night.

First off, I thought both Into Eternity and Epica were pretty weak. I had not heard anything by Epica but based on their rep I was expecting a lot more in terms of presentation, performance, and songwriting. They were VERY riffy (the first song especially has that one riff that repeated a million times), and I think they were of the impression that those riffs were more interesting than they actually were. I also felt the dirty male vox added nothing to any of their songs and they should just stick with female vox. I will say, however, that Epica illustrated a point I have been trying to make for quite some time - metal sounds better when you turn the volume down. Into Eternity was up so loud you couldn't make out anything aside from very obvious rhythmic stops and starts. Epica let the volume sit at a reasonable level, which was just as powerful and effective, but you could actually hear the notes and chord changes. They also did a nice job with the levels of the keyboard player. Still though, their songwriting did nothing for me, between the first two bands Epica had the only memorable song with the one that had the good chorus that went 'forever... and ever'. Other than that, nothing worth noting.

Okay, Symphony X. First off I agree completely with a couple of prior posts that Russell was dead on and kicking ass - probably vocally the best I have heard him in 5 or so trips. The sound was overall improved, partly due to the venue not being the dreaded Palladium, and partly due to the new sound guy. I thought at times Romeo's rhythm tone was a little bit dry and his solos could have come up more in the mix - I'd lose what was going on in them at times. There were glimpses of having Pinnella at the right level when they boosted him for an important part, but then they chickened out and dragged him back down and buried him in the mix. Keys can have more presence than people realize - guitars cut naturally, keys do not. This was especially an issue during Smoke and Mirrors, where the verse and chorus on guitar are really ancillary to the keyboard chords, but I could not hear the keys whatsoever. Plus, MJR taking over a few of MP's solos was annoying - everyone loves MP, and when he has a chance in a song to solo I want to hear it. His solos in Smoke and Mirrors are two of my favorites ever and MJR took over one and then the other was completely buried.

Anyway, overall quite a good show. If I had my druthers I would have edited out a lot of the Paradise Lost material (it was funny Russ said they were going to do some old/rare songs, and then did purely new stuff or truly typical old songs only). However, the set list was generally appropriate for the venue and crowd, which I have said before for these little metal clubs. One day I want to see X come around and do venues with chairs (not for the sake of chairs, but because that sort of venue lets you do far more mid-tempo and complicated songs without losing the crowd). Even Egypt, which I thought was one of the best performed and best sounding pieces of the night, seemed to lose the crowd a bit. I liked Russ's on stage persona and presentation, but I think he underestimates how much that Patriots loss is a sore spot here . Very lucky most metal fans are not die hard sports fans - that is a very tender subject. Highlights of the night were Death of Balance (which was so in the pocket it was sick), Masquerade, and Set the World on Fire. I thought the only really low spot was Revelation, which was utterly terrible live. I was there with my girlfriend (fan but not die hard fan) and my brother (casual fan) and all three of us independently came to the fact that that piece was terrible live. I wish I had gotten to see Through the Looking Glass because I have seen Egypt/Death before so the only new old song was Masquerade. It was worth dealing with Inferno again to hear them FINALLY NAIL THE INTRO!!! While I am completely sick of that song, they did knock it out of the park. I was glad to see Sea of Lies gone cause it is boring live and I've seen it a billion times. Too bad time did not allow for Out of the Ashes to creep into the encore. So, nice job overall, and man is it evident how the fan base is growing and becoming more die hard with every tour. I believe this show sold out - X will be moving up to the larger venues soon enough.

P.S. had I thought of it I would have warned the band about how damn hot that clubs gets. When I performed with my 80s metal band in avatar gettup there, I was more puddle than person by the end. Thanks for the water bottles.
I agree with most of your comments. I dont think Revelation was bad live, I enjoyed it, and I definitely wouldnt say Sea of Lies is "boring live", but I didnt miss it because this was my 6th or 7th time seein them and they played it every single time. I thought it was cool that they did some more PL material, I was shocked that Eve of Seduction was left off the setlist in 07 so it was great to finally see it live. The sound is always not the best at Symph X shows simply because the band is so loud, but I find that if you wanna REALLY hear Romeo's solos clearly you need to kinda plug your ears during them, it looks funny but every note comes through clear as a bell. I did that for the solos i really wanted to make sure I heard precisely (sins and shadows, smoke and mirrors, inferno, etc).
customaxes87 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #44 (permalink)
batera
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 156
Yeah, idk, personally I really liked Revelation last night...
batera is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #45 (permalink)
Detective Clarence Beauregard
Dehumanized
 
Detective Clarence Beauregard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,421
I'm really glad they dropped Sea of Lies. It's a good song, but it's overplayed.

If they continue to switch Egypt/DOB and Looking Glass every other night, we should get Looking Glass in Mokena! Woohoo!
__________________


"I refuse to abandon my work! I've finished my research on the T-Virus, but I need a little more time to complete the more powerful G-Virus." - William Birkin
"Do as you wish. I will follow my initial plan and lure the S.T.A.R.S. members into the mansion. Their superior combat training
should make them perfect test subjects." - Albert Wesker
Detective Clarence Beauregard is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #46 (permalink)
es156
Senior Member
 
es156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Clarence Beauregard View Post
I'm really glad they dropped Sea of Lies. It's a good song, but it's overplayed.

If they continue to switch Egypt/DOB and Looking Glass every other night, we should get Looking Glass in Mokena! Woohoo!
It will be interesting to see if the pattern continues. I can't make the Mokena show so I am hitting the Tampa show, which would also get Looking Glass on the current pattern.
es156 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #47 (permalink)
naboo
Just Ask The Axis
 
naboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 662
I was at the Cambridge show and it was... amazing!!! What an incredible show. The band looked like they were having an awesome time and the crowd was totally into it. Their sound sucked ass last year at the Palladium but it was so clear this time! You could hear MR's solos perfectly, and that being said, I totally take back anything I said about Smoke and Mirrors live... when you can actually discern the sweep picking at the beginning it kicks ass.

And they played Egypt! I've wanted to see that song live forever. Didn't seem like the crowd was amazingly into it, but it was definitely one of the highlights. Once again Babylon absolutely slayed and I thought Revelation was good too. Hope they switch it up again next time they come around though (like keep 5 of the same songs haha).

Epica were soooo boring, but for a replacement singer, she did a really good job. Into Eternity was also great but I didn't feel like everyone was feeling it.

I really have a feeling that the venue was NOT expecting a metal show haha... but overall it was an intimate, intense show; one of the best I've seen!!
naboo is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #48 (permalink)
DoomsdayZach
The Professor was right
 
DoomsdayZach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngvai X View Post
I can see a band like Into Eternity opening for SymX tho... there is a crossover crowd for sure. Maybe there is a shortage of appropriate power/prog bands to open for those tours when they come around Seattle?
Nope, we've got plenty to satisfy tours like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropiastrife View Post
I dunno, I guess maybe they assume that progressive metal fans might be somewhat opened minded to other types of metal/music, as long as it shares some basic common values such as somewhat strong musicianship or not having breakdowns. I guess they obviously are wrong though, since all openers must sound like a downgraded version of SX I guess?

It has to do with the fact that venues get local bands to help bring people into the show by selling tickets. How many local progressive/power metal bands do you know that even exist in your local scene, let alone any that are actually good or can draw anything. Personally, I like diversity with my music and shows I see (which is why this tour is awesome having into eternity and epica).
No need to be pissy. I play in a true metal band and i don't think we'd be appropriate to open for Dimmu or Cannibal Corpse or Amon Amarth... point is that while it doesn't have to be a symx ripoff, at least get it in the ballpark.

And i know about the whole politics behind it. I deal with it enough. I understand the concept of variety and such, but i can't see complaining or getting offended when you're a completely different style as the bill and people don't respond well to your band.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantoX
I don't think you're a jackass but I do think you drink a lot though.
DoomsdayZach is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #49 (permalink)
Ranger
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropiastrife View Post
I was at the tour opener last night... the best time i've seen the X bar none. The live version of Through the Looking Glass is absolutely breathe taking. I am really glad that they are whipping out a few different tunes for this tour. And I was in one of the "shitty" local bands playing before X...the one with the keyboardist on the mainstage, heh Well I guess I am seeing them in boston tonight too.... now i must hear some OUT OF THE ASHES!

oh, and the venue ALWAYS has extra tickets for a "sold out" show...just get them early
Actually yours was the best. (in my opinion the opening bands increasingly got better)

Who were you on stage?
Ranger is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #50 (permalink)
Platinum Maze
Random Star
 
Platinum Maze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Land of Oaks, NJ
Posts: 1,197
Just got back from NYC...set was as follows (pretty sure it's in order):

Oculus Ex Inferni
Set the World On Fire
Domination
Serpents Kiss
Masquerade
Paradise Lost
Through the Looking Glass
Inferno
Walls of Babylon
Smoke and Mirrors
Revelation/Divine Wings Pt. 7
----
Eve of Seduction
Of Sins And Shadows

The show was totally awesome and it was one of the best times I've seen them.
Platinum Maze is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0
© Copyright 2000-2010 UltimateMetal.com | MetalAges Media