Symphony X  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > SymphonyX
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Phanto
Alalalalalalalala.

the only shitty thing about V is that it's fucking impossible to air drum to
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wander
10+2=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanto View Post
No it's not! I can air drum anything. I'm really, really good at it. Way better than with real drums.

Death of Balance is pretty tricky tho. To get the timing right and all... Requires some memory.
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
_Gentleman of_the Snow_
Prog' Drummer

V is the best prog metal album ever made.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
estYMaj
Music is everything

This has always been my favorite SX album all the way threw
Old June 18th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
manticore999

This was my introduction to Symphony X and I still listen to it a lot. One of my favorite albums of all time!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #31 (permalink)
hexwind
Creepiness Och Terrorism

My second SX favorite album !! fucking awesome
This doesn't concern me yet
Still far from the knell

Opeth Forum | Pabulum | Desolator
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
wild bill guarnere
Champion of Ithaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQShredHead View Post
This album took one listen to grow on me. The pinnacle for the band, absolutely. I hear no filler songs at all.

But, then again, I'm a big Kansas fan too.
Oh yeah! I'm a huge Kansas fan as well. Kansas fans who like metal are gonna love this album. This is by far my favorite SX album. I hope we get another one like it.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:46 AM   #33 (permalink)
IntoPhagist
FloriiiiiiiooooooOOO!

2nd Favorite after The Odyssey...Amazing album very underrated.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
PrgrsveMetalnChains
Vocal Prince

For me V is tied with Odyssey on my favorite S-X album. I absolutely love the concept prog/epicness of V; it is a perfect album and I love every song from it. I used to not care for A Fool's Paradise until I sat back and 'listened" to it and found it to be an amazing song. Rediscovery is a perfect song to me...especially towards the end starting at 8:54 and on the keyboard background and Allen's vocals with that crazy effect is AMAZING. Gets me fuckin' pumped every time. "Again the Titans clash on the edge of this
earthen plane" OMFG so powerful.

On the other hand I love Odyssey...while V is an all around better album, Odyssey to me has songs that just floor me with their power and amazingness. I am more of a metal/hard rock guy than prog so its only natural Odyssey would appeal more to me, but with songs like Wicked, Awakenings (the breakdown when it gets heavy is amazing), King of Terrors etc... all hit me VERY hard and I find songs like that to be awesome. I believe Odyssey to be the perfect medium in between V and Paradise Lost in heaviness and vocal power...its amazing.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
_Gentleman of_the Snow_
Prog' Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrgrsveMetalnChains View Post
...especially towards the end starting at 8:54 and on the keyboard background and Allen's vocals with that crazy effect is AMAZING. Gets me fuckin' pumped every time. "Again the Titans clash on the edge of this
earthen plane" OMFG so powerful.
Followed by an amazing drum fill and tension building synth of some kind, and ending with a bell hit. Definitely awesome!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
fravius

I just can say a few words about V: Love it! I mean, i play keyboard so i like pinella's work a lot. And V seems to be done for him. The amount of keyboards on that album, doing some thing or another it's magnificent. And the way one songs leads to another... it's like... water flowing.
Old July 5th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
antonis
junior member :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballKid View Post
I find that I like this album more and more with each listen. In fact, it's the album I most often discover. By that I mean that every time I go back to it I find something new and enjoyable that I never focused on before. This happens with The Odyssey as well, but V is more well-layered.
this
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Detective Clarence Beauregard
Dehumanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravius View Post
I mean, i play keyboard so i like pinella's work a lot. And V seems to be done for him. The amount of keyboards on that album, doing some thing or another it's magnificent.
I think we can all agree that V is Pinnella's strongest work, although I do think a lot of the orchestral parts were probably written by Romeo.

"I refuse to abandon my work! I've finished my research on the T-Virus, but I need a little more time to complete the more powerful G-Virus." - William Birkin
"Do as you wish. I will follow my initial plan and lure the S.T.A.R.S. members into the mansion. Their superior combat training
should make them perfect test subjects." - Albert Wesker
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #39 (permalink)
Cyclopsss

Best Album from them, imo.
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #40 (permalink)
Prismatic Sphere
We Carouse

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Clarence Beauregard View Post
V is a great piece of music, and it bothers me that Symphony X will most likely never sound like this again. I love the way the keyboards are usually at the front of the music, as opposed to the guitar leading the way nowadays. Also, the use of polyrhythms (e.g. the bass and guitar playing a sweet riff while the keyboard plays something over it in a completely different time signature) stands out on this album more than their others. Symphony X are the masters of polyrhythms.
Best comment of the thread.

V has definitely grown on me over the years. While it isn't my fav SX album, I'd say it is their most unique. And even though I definitely prefer The Odyssey to V, V is in so many ways superior to Paradise Lost that it is not even funny.

And I agree with the comment that SX should be doing what they do best(prog) and not try being a very decent power metal band to garner more fans.

Bands are better when they're selfish. C'mon Romeo, let the sleeping proggy giant out of the dungeon please(pun intended).

Michael Romeo: Nah, just cigarette smoke.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BeESHFIRo9c/TaplAqtge6I/AAAAAAAACOY/z_HOMB1ayn0/s320/dioshrugged.jpg

Reject Statism: The life you live could be your own.

Last edited by Prismatic Sphere : March 8th, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #41 (permalink)
BARBAROUSSE

[quote ]

Bands are better when they're selfish. C'mon Romeo, let the sleeping proggy giant out of the dungeon please(pun intended). [/quote]
^ .

... i don't have much to say about V . simply a PERFECT masterpiece and may be the most underrated prog metal album ever done .the guitar tune is mind -blowing and imo still superior to all those on the last album ( although i admit it s a totally different context ) . the production and the mix even the fact it is not SX' best but it fortunately perfectly matches the album's atmosphere . but i think what really make V so godly is in a word BALANCE . an amazing harmony between all elements that makes you completely forget what instrument is being played : it took me a hundred listens to notice the amazing work of Rullo on Lacrymosa for eXample ...and above all i think albums where music is capable of making you picture the lyrics like V does are very few ...
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #42 (permalink)
SymphonyXV

I bought this album in the summer of 2008 and have loved it since. Every time I listen to it I love it more. I would love to see this album played all the way though live! The album artwork also really fascinates me like as I listen to the album, I picture a movie or something. I wished whoever made the artwork would have made a short film!
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
vw

Its an interesting thing that you cant buy the MP3s for this album from Amazon or iTunes for that matter. Everything else is gettable.
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
Detective Clarence Beauregard
Dehumanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw View Post
Its an interesting thing that you cant buy the MP3s for this album from Amazon or iTunes for that matter. Everything else is gettable.
My guess is that it has something to do with the label. Wasn't it released on Metal Blade or something in some countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanto View Post
Yeah, shame on Jason for not taking that into account when he wrote the drum parts.

"I refuse to abandon my work! I've finished my research on the T-Virus, but I need a little more time to complete the more powerful G-Virus." - William Birkin
"Do as you wish. I will follow my initial plan and lure the S.T.A.R.S. members into the mansion. Their superior combat training
should make them perfect test subjects." - Albert Wesker
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
Lucius Octavion

I can't agree more with everything that's been said on this thread. Personally for me, I think one thing I've always liked about V, is that it's got this extremely dark vibe to it throughout the whole thing. Moreso than the Odyssey or even PL. Don't know what it is exactly but the album is absolutely killer in all aspects.
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #46 (permalink)
_Gentleman of_the Snow_
Prog' Drummer

I don't just listen to V, I watch it...
The entire album captivates me, and I get trapped in this world. The album is done so perfectly that I never lose the feeling from start to finish. Recurring parts help elevate this even more-so.
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #47 (permalink)
Marwen
Five Align

You guys rule.
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #48 (permalink)
SymphonyXV

I listened to this again all the way through a few nights ago. I read the lyrics more closely. I think there are enough plot holes to make a V part 2 or a VIII since their next album will be their 8th. Since this is the 10th anniversary wouldn't it be great for them to play the album all the way through live and make it a DVD? It can be like when Dream Theater did Scenes from a Memory. I hate to think they just released it then played a few shows and now it's like they forgot about it. I would be amazed if they ever made a better album than that prog-wise. It's hard to believe they are still relatively a newer prog band. Bands like Dream Theater and Fates Warning have been around since the early/mid 80's, SX is only about 16 years old. That means they should still have tons of more music to release in the future!
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #49 (permalink)
yeet_SAY_jama
Gobble Jo0 fetus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Gentleman of_the Snow_ View Post
V is the best prog metal album ever made.
This

Woah... my account still works. Haven't logged on since August 2006.... I just creep every now and then.

V never grew on me. It floored me from the get-go and still amazes me.
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #50 (permalink)
CantoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonyXV View Post
I think there are enough plot holes to make a V part 2
Elaborate.