Symphony X  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > SymphonyX
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 28th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
maidenpriest

New Setlist Thread!

Since the "official" Iconoclast tour is starting tonight, figured I'd start a thread in case someone gets some info about the setlist in Hamburg.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
ElvenShadow
Guilty Gear

I was there. They played

Iconoclast
Divine Wings
Through the Looking Glass
The Odyssey
When All Is Lost
A Lesson Before Dying
Accolade 1 and 2 medley
Rediscovery (1 and 2)
Revelation
Reign in Madness
------------------
Encore: Transcendence

Obviously I am trolling, but seriously, was anyone there? I'm really curious about what they will play on this tour.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Xtopher
Creation's menace

Damn you ElvenShadow.
Old September 29th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
_Gentleman of_the Snow_
Prog' Drummer

Old September 29th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
donKyle

Damn, I would have gone for the encore alone!
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Liampie

I hate how I can't find a setlist, nor youtube videos.

I'm going to see Symphony X tomorrow and I'm dying to know what they'll play.
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Stormbringer
www.Metal1.info

Are you serious? You're seeing them tomorrow and still want to spoil yourself by looking up their current setlist?
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
donKyle

Just wondering, do the European shows usually have more people than the American shows? I guess only someone who's been to both or something would know
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
maidenpriest

To my knowledge, pretty much every power/prog band gets bigger crowds in Europe.
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Vitruu

Setlist Bochum

Here is the Setlist from tonight:

Iconoclast
End of Innocence
Dehumanized
Bastards of the Machine
Electric Messiah
When All is Lost
Children of a Faceless God
Heretic
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Of Sins & Shadows

Encore:

Eve of Seduction
Serpent's Kiss
Set the World on Fire

That's what I remember, too many songs from the new album for my taste, but still a great show.
Unfortunately they didn't play the Odyssey.
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
metalxmetalx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitruu View Post
Here is the Setlist from tonight:

Iconoclast
End of Innocence
Dehumanized
Bastards of the Machine
Electric Messiah
When All is Lost
Children of a Faceless God
Heretic
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Of Sins & Shadows

Encore:

Eve of Seduction
Serpent's Kiss
Set the World on Fire

That's what I remember, too many songs from the new album for my taste, but still a great show.
Unfortunately they didn't play the Odyssey.
Very disappointing setlist. I would rather see them play this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenShadow View Post
I was there. They played

Iconoclast
Divine Wings
Through the Looking Glass
The Odyssey
When All Is Lost
A Lesson Before Dying
Accolade 1 and 2 medley
Rediscovery (1 and 2)
Revelation
Reign in Madness
------------------
Encore: Transcendence

Last edited by metalxmetalx : September 29th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Stormbringer
www.Metal1.info

Damn, I know I should have gone to see them tonight.
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
ElvenShadow
Guilty Gear

Wow... that's a lot of new stuff. I really like the new album and would want to see a lot of songs from it, but I'm not so sure I really like that setlist. Its pretty much the entire "regular edition" of Iconoclast minus Prometheus. I wonder if this means they actually WONT play any of the 3 "special edition" songs live. Also, it would be nice to have a little more variety from other albums. 3 songs from PL? That album got played out live over the last few years. One song would be fine, but what about something from V, Twilight, or DG? They could have easily replaced STWOF and SK with 2 songs from those 3 albums to add more variety. In addition to that, they keep playing the same stuff from the older albums. Would be cool to have something else subbed in. Those older albums have PLENTY of excellent songs that I'm sure most people would love to hear live. I love Inferno and OSAS, but really? Every single show? Also, the order of the songs could use a little more variation. If you are gonna play almost all Iconoclast songs, it would be cool to at least be putting the older songs in between them for variety rather than just clumping them all together at the end.

In any case, criticism aside, I would be more than happy to see that setlist live anyway. I haven't seen the band live in almost 5 years. Here's hoping they actually come to Japan this time, but im not gonna get my hopes up.
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
donKyle

It'd be cool if they just toured themselves and did two sets each night. And when's the last time they played anything live from Damnation Game anyway?
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
ElvenShadow
Guilty Gear

I'm pretty sure they played The Damnation Game (song) sometimes on tour last year or 2 years ago.
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Liampie

WHAT? Only two pre-PL songs? What are they thinking? Not even two special ones. What the fuck man, really. What.
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
donKyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenShadow View Post
I'm pretty sure they played The Damnation Game (song) sometimes on tour last year or 2 years ago.
Ah, well that's more recent than I would have guessed.
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
_Gentleman of_the Snow_
Prog' Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liampie View Post
WHAT? Only two pre-PL songs? What are they thinking? Not even two special ones. What the fuck man, really. What.
Srsly... Sins and Inferno? LOL.
Old September 29th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Detective Clarence Beauregard
Dehumanized

What a lame set. I'm at a loss for words, really. They played eight songs from Iconoclast, but left out two of the best songs on the album (Prometheus and Reign). Bastards, Children, Electric, really? Those songs practically define filler. Not to mention three songs from the overplayed PL album and only two (overplayed) older songs.

Very unimpressed. If they don't change their set when they tour the States I doubt I will go see them. What a letdown.

"I refuse to abandon my work! I've finished my research on the T-Virus, but I need a little more time to complete the more powerful G-Virus." - William Birkin
"Do as you wish. I will follow my initial plan and lure the S.T.A.R.S. members into the mansion. Their superior combat training
should make them perfect test subjects." - Albert Wesker
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Liampie

Iconoclast tour versus Paradise Lost tour.

All the cool material dropped from 44% (excluding TDWOT in Revelation!) to 13%. Why why?

Don't mention the typo.
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
iceandfire84
The One Who Knocks

This forum is pretty hilarious. I don't think anything has happened over the last two years where 90% of the members don't think it's terrible. Sorry guys and gals, this is Symphony X circa 2011 and it's probably not going to change for better or worse.

I personally would like to see more V, Twilight, or cooler songs off The Odyssey in there but it is the tour in support of the new album which means you're going to hear the songs off the new album. It's also unlikely that they would play the three songs not on the shortened version (which kind of sucks because I like them) since not everyone has heard them. Their fan base is grower and the new fans want to hear the new stuff. That being said I would rather hear Prometheus than Heretic or Children.
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Dehumanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceandfire84 View Post
Sorry guys and gals, this is Symphony X circa 2011 and it's probably not going to change for better or worse.

I personally would like to see more V, Twilight, or cooler songs off The Odyssey in there but it is the tour in support of the new album which means you're going to hear the songs off the new album.
I realize that this is the Iconoclast tour, and thus I really don't have a problem with them playing 72% (thanks for the pie chart, Liampie!) Iconoclast material. My beef is the exclusion of what I consider good songs (Prometheus, Reign) in favor of what I consider filler songs (Electric, Children). I think Bastards is kind of filler too, but I admit that it would make a fun, high-energy live song.

Also, the inclusion of three songs from their previous album and only two "old-school" songs (the two that are the most overplayed) is obnoxiously annoying. They have toured extensively over the last few years in support of PL - don't you think they'd be sick of those songs and rather revisit some older classics?! And by "older classics," I'm not talking about Inferno.

I wouldn't mind one song from PL, but they omitted the one song from that album that I found to translate the best live in favor of the two "video" songs. I find these two songs to be among the weakest on the album. At least they didn't play Serpent's Kiss and Children back-to-back, though, since they're practically the same song.

Quote:
Their fan base is grower and the new fans want to hear the new stuff.
I understand that, but more than 90% of the set was newer stuff. That's ridiculous. Not playing at least a couple of DWOT/Twilight/V-era songs is a slap in the face to the fans who have supported them from the beginning, as well as the fans who appreciate their progressive sound more than their "tuf guy" metal sound. Seriously, there's one progressive moment in the entire set. That's just fucking sad.

MJR even said once that he prefers playing the more progressive stuff. Really, Mike? It certainly doesn't show.

Quote:
It's also unlikely that they would play the three songs not on the shortened version (which kind of sucks because I like them) since not everyone has heard them.
I would have thought that they would play at least one of these songs to increase sales of the special edition. And since Reign In Madness is the only one of them that I like, I would have hoped it was that (I find the other two songs to be amongst the worst tracks in the band's history).

My suggestions? Replace Electric Messiah with Reign, Children with Prometheus, Inferno with King of Terrors, and OSAS with Dressed To Kill. Scratch all three of those PL songs and play Domination (or Babylon) and two "older" tracks (e.g. Church of the Machine, Egypt, Wicked).

I would pay to see that set, but not the current one.

"I refuse to abandon my work! I've finished my research on the T-Virus, but I need a little more time to complete the more powerful G-Virus." - William Birkin
"Do as you wish. I will follow my initial plan and lure the S.T.A.R.S. members into the mansion. Their superior combat training

Last edited by Detective Clarence Beauregard : September 30th, 2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
symphonyXjapan

I would have thought that they would play at least one of these songs to increase sales of the special edition. And since Reign In Madness is the only one of them that I like, I would have hoped it was that (I find the other two songs to be amongst the worst tracks in the band's history).

"Light Up The Night" is one of my favorite tracks on the new album. I still can't see how fans of albums like DWoT and even V can not like it? It still boggles my mind...
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Dehumanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphonyXjapan View Post
"Light Up The Night" is one of my favorite tracks on the new album. I still can't see how fans of albums like DWoT and even V can not like it? It still boggles my mind...
Maybe because it sounds like it was written in five minutes? It just seems... thrown together. The chorus isn't terrible or anything, but it is kind of cheesy in a Broadway show-type of way. Am I the only one who hears this? I do like the neoclassical interlude (it's the only remotely neoclassical thing on this whole damned album, excluding tiny bits and pieces of End of Innocence), and the bridge is nice, but overall this song is just not my cup of tea.

Oh oh, I almost forgot "I wanna see you drown! In flames! Rawrrrrrrgghhhhhh!"

Fucking terrible.

I'm no fan of Lords of Chaos's Meshuggah bullshit, either, but overall I think it's a better song. Reign In Madness blows them both out of the water if you ask me. Electric Messiah (another first-class filler track) should have been exclusive to the special edition, with Reign ending the single-disc version.

Last edited by Detective Clarence Beauregard : September 30th, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
PurpleDink

I dont buy this catering to the new fanbase crap. Everyone ive talked to thats heard of Symphony X recently (i got into them when i was about 16 when PL came out, so this includes me and all of my close friends) still prefers their older stuff.