Symphony X  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > SymphonyX
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
iceandfire84
The One Who Knocks

2012 Tour

I was just looking at the setlist the guys played last night and once again I am fairly disappointed... Have a look:

Iconoclast
The End of Innocence
Dehumanized
Bastards of the Machine
When All is Lost
Electric Messiah
Children of a Faceless God
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Of Sins and Shadows
Encore:
Eve of Seduction
Serpent's Kiss
Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)

Just more of the same. Of course there is plenty of time for this setlist to evolve (though probably not with this band), but I can't help but think that the whole polling process we went though awhile back didn't do much of anything to shape what we will hear on this tour.

On another note, Iced Earth's setlist got me way more excited than Symphony's. In case anyone is interested...

Dystopia
Angels Holocaust
Slave to the Dark
V
Stand Alone
When the Night Falls
Dark City
Damien
Anthem
Declaration Day
Days of Rage
Watching Over Me
Dante's Inferno
Iced Earth

Now that's a mix of some solid oldies and the new stuff! I've seen them once before live and they didn't play half of the old tunes they did last night.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
nckissfan
SVT Cobra Club

wow so many songs from Iconclast. It would be nice to see a mixture. I am not going to bitch, though, I get to see them live, that is all that matters.

the Iced Earth set looks good, too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Detective Clarence Beauregard
Dehumanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceandfire84 View Post
Iconoclast
The End of Innocence
Dehumanized
Bastards of the Machine
When All is Lost
Electric Messiah
Children of a Faceless God
Of Sins and Shadows
Encore:
Eve of Seduction
Serpent's Kiss
Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)
Wow, that's the exact same set they played on the last leg of the tour (barring Heretic if I recall correctly). Even if they were coming to somewhere in the Midwest on this tour, I wouldn't waste my time going with that set. The two songs I really want to hear from Iconoclast (Prometheus, Reign) still aren't on there, and they insist on spending more than 30 minutes playing songs that shouldn't be played (Iconoclast, WAIL, Electric, Children).

It's not that these are bad songs (although I still think Electric is filler); it's that they have songs in their back catalog with similar vibes that are simply better songs.

Seriously, drop Children and Electric and play Prometheus and Reign already. Get rid of Iconoclast and WAIL and play Heretic, King of Terrors, and an Accolade Medley. And what about Rediscovery?!

Thanks for listening to the fans' requests, Symphony X...

"I refuse to abandon my work! I've finished my research on the T-Virus, but I need a little more time to complete the more powerful G-Virus." - William Birkin
"Do as you wish. I will follow my initial plan and lure the S.T.A.R.S. members into the mansion. Their superior combat training
should make them perfect test subjects." - Albert Wesker
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
AsoTamaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceandfire84 View Post
Of Sins and Shadows
This is the most insulting part. Everyone is sick of those two songs being the only two played from their first six albums. In the polls, neither of those songs even made it into the top 3 for their albums.

Well, I hope their newer fanbase is enough to support them on this tour because I surely won't be doing it.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Liquid Tension
The Shotmaker 22

Thanks for posting the set list...

I'm looking forward to the show tomorrow!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
EyeballKid
Shyamalan'd

Excited to see that Iced Earth pulled out Damien, Angels Holocaust, When the Night Falls, and Dante's Inferno (I hate this song, but it's pretty cool that they still play it in full, as I know it's put on a pedestal by most IE fans).

The Symphony X setlist is, sadly, exactly what I was expecting. It's obvious that they're going to keep playing IC songs, but at least throw in something interesting from the old albums instead of Sins and Inferno. Glad I'm not going to this tour.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dehumanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballKid View Post
Excited to see that Iced Earth pulled out Damien, Angels Holocaust, When the Night Falls, and Dante's Inferno
That is cool. I didn't even notice since I was so infuriated by Symphony X's set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballKid View Post
The Symphony X setlist is, sadly, exactly what I was expecting. It's obvious that they're going to keep playing IC songs, but at least throw in something interesting from the old albums instead of Sins and Inferno. Glad I'm not going to this tour.
I don't have the option to, but even if I did, I wouldn't go with this setlist. But since IE are coming to Joliet (sans Symphony X) in mid-March, I might go see them. Their songs may all sound pretty much the same, but they put on a very energetic show.

"I refuse to abandon my work! I've finished my research on the T-Virus, but I need a little more time to complete the more powerful G-Virus." - William Birkin
"Do as you wish. I will follow my initial plan and lure the S.T.A.R.S. members into the mansion. Their superior combat training
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Krowsnest
Guardian of the Blind

Not one song off V or Twilight played at the show......

On the plus side I did actually enjoy most of Iced Earths playlist, and I was really there only to see SX. Said hello to Jon Shaffer on the way in even.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
flexinator

sad to be reading this.....to the band if you're listening:

Please please please play more of the old stuff, enough from Paradise Lost and whatever happens to be the latest album at the time!!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
iceandfire84
The One Who Knocks

I am still excited to see some of Iconoclast live, but having seen the band 4 times there isn't anything else on there that gets me pumped. Would definitely be nice to see some older jams on there like Fallen, Accolade II, etc.

At least IE should be fun to see. I personally think there's a lot of musical variation in their setlist and Stu sounds pretty good on the new album. Espeically looking forward to When the Night Falls, Angels Holocaust, Damien, and Slave to the Dark. Last time I saw them they did Stormrider but not Angels. Would love to see those songs back to back as intended. Stormrider is such a great live song!
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
symphonyXjapan

Sans Prometheus, it looks like they pretty much are playing the whole of the one disc version of Iconoclast...

I think that they will play a much more diverse set at ProgPower this year, since they are a headliner and it is an event that will attract more of those who are not just "new generation" fans. Even so, that doesn't help much being that it is a single event and not a tour.
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
_Gentleman of_the Snow_
Prog' Drummer

SX has to be one of the most disappointing, and downright frustrating bands to be a fan of.
They just keep pushing me farther and farther, and it has gotten to the point where I don't even care.
They have refused to do anything unique for almost a decade now.
Old February 4th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
intergalactic

Do I have to think that american official forum's fans are complaining about this tour ? Come on guys,or they will forget USA next tour.speaking about this kind of metal,right now I think that SX are among the best band with Edguy and few others,do you want me to tell you don't like the set ?ok, they're focusing too
much on Iconoclast,but this is not the reason for not seeing them live,they're still great and they keep on doing much crowd in Europe even if they come out
with a new record not much often ,it's not easy now to fill a club ,they still can do it
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
_Gentleman of_the Snow_
Prog' Drummer

I would literally get zero entertainment from seeing Sins and Inferno live. I would rather just leave and go home.
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Liquid Tension
The Shotmaker 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Gentleman of_the Snow_ View Post
I would literally get zero entertainment from seeing Sins and Inferno live. I would rather just leave and go home.
They were my favorites from last night!

We were down front and there were too many people thinking it was cool to be carried to the stage multiple times which ruined some of the enjoyment... I just don't understand todays youth no respect to others!
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Dehumanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphonyXjapan View Post
Sans Prometheus, it looks like they pretty much are playing the whole of the one disc version of Iconoclast...
They also left out Heretic. Which sucks, since Prometheus and Heretic are pretty much the only two songs from the single-disc version that I want to hear.

Quote:
Bathroom break for me. It's okay; once they release a new album, the set will be composed of nothing but it, IC, and PL. Take care, Symphony X, it's been nice knowing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
We were down front and there were too many people thinking it was cool to be carried to the stage multiple times which ruined some of the enjoyment... I just don't understand todays youth no respect to others!
It's because they don't care about anyone or anything but themselves, including the actual music. It could be any heavy band; they're just doing it for pathetic attention. God forbid they actually watch the band. And once these people move on to another band after Symphony X takes five more years to release a new album, maybe the band will learn.

Old February 4th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
_Gentleman of_the Snow_
Prog' Drummer

^ Hmmm... you're right. These heavy albums only generate temporary fans, not long-term fans like I've been, and originally expected to be. They lose their old fans, and they do not keep the new ones... interesting.
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Purveyor Of Evil
Heavy Metal, INC.

Not to start a war, but I thought to be progressive means to move forward and evolve. If SX stayed the same, there would be bitching. Now that they are evolving, there is bitching. After all, they are a METAL band. Are they only considered "good" if every song is twenty minutes long and has eighty-five time changes? Iconoclast has anthemic choruses, tons of melody, and of course it's just plain fun as hell for a listen.
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
AsoTamaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purveyor Of Evil View Post
Not to start a war, but I thought to be progressive means to move forward and evolve. If SX stayed the same, there would be bitching. Now that they are evolving, there is bitching. After all, they are a METAL band. Are they only considered "good" if every song is twenty minutes long and has eighty-five time changes?
The average Symphony X song length has always been ~5-6 minutes so nothing has changed in that regard. There's nothing wrong with songs like "Heretic". It's the lack of diversity within the album overall that's most disappointing. I don't really see how you can call it evolving and moving forward when so much of Iconoclast is extremely similar to both itself and Paradise Lost. There are only a few sections of music where something stands out as being unique. Yeah, they've become a little heavier too. Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purveyor Of Evil View Post
Iconoclast has [...] tons of melody
Lol.
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Purveyor Of Evil
Heavy Metal, INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsoTamaki View Post
The average Symphony X song length has always been ~5-6 minutes so nothing has changed in that regard. There's nothing wrong with songs like "Heretic". It's the lack of diversity within the album overall that's most disappointing. I don't really see how you can call it evolving and moving forward when so much of Iconoclast is extremely similar to both itself and Paradise Lost. There are only a few sections of music where something stands out as being unique. Yeah, they've become a little heavier too. Sure.

Lol.
It isn't melodic? In what way? I listen to death and black metal, also. Trust me when I say Iconoclast has plenty of melody. I don't pigeonhole myself into one metal genre. Staleness would arrive quickly.
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
AsoTamaki

No, man. It definitely is melodic. That can't be argued. I just don't think that many of the vocal melodies are creative, interesting or good. That's cool if you do.
Old February 4th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Purveyor Of Evil
Heavy Metal, INC.

Quote:
No, man. It definitely is melodic. That can't be argued. I just don't think that many of the vocal melodies are creative, interesting or good. That's cool if you do.
Russ comes across as very DIO-esque these days. I LOVE that! Especially since I miss Ronnie James so badly.
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #23 (permalink)
Dehumanized

Quote:
I think that's the key right there. They've always had heavy songs, but it seems that they've left most of their progressive elements in the past. Almost every song on Iconoclast is indistinguishable from one another; it's just heavy hitter after heavy hitter. There's simply no variety, save for one song.

Oh, and Purveyor, many people don't think that Symphony X has evolved. I'd say they've devolved, if anything. You know, like that gun they used in that terrible Super Mario Bros movie. Now it seems that Symphony X just wants to make HEAVY HEAVY SMASH SMASH music.

Old February 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
Sauna

Quote:
^ Hmmm... you're right. These heavy albums only generate temporary fans, not long-term fans like I've been, and originally expected to be. They lose their old fans, and they do not keep the new ones... interesting.
You are utterly, utterly wrong. This post is based on nothing. Also, this forum is the only place I've run into such negativity towars Iconoclast and Paradise Lost, two albums that have generally gotten a great response from both metal fans and metal media.

I also second everything that Purveyor of Evil has written in this thread.

As for the actual topic, I agree that the setlist is bad. Using a lot of songs from the latest album on a tour that supports it is generally a good thing, but this is taking it way too far. They've left no room for classics (except the two that they always seem to play) or, even more importantly, some unexpected curveballs.

Last edited by Sauna : February 5th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
Purveyor Of Evil
Heavy Metal, INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Clarence Beauregard View Post
I think that's the key right there. They've always had heavy songs, but it seems that they've left most of their progressive elements in the past. Almost every song on Iconoclast is indistinguishable from one another; it's just heavy hitter after heavy hitter. There's simply no variety, save for one song.

Oh, and Purveyor, many people don't think that Symphony X has evolved. I'd say they've devolved, if anything. You know, like that gun they used in that terrible Super Mario Bros movie. Now it seems that Symphony X just wants to make HEAVY HEAVY SMASH SMASH music.
After all, they are a METAL band. Are they not? If there was songs that were stylistically all over the place, then the bitching would start about lack of cohesion songwise. To me the album flows perfectly with WAiL as a break in the action. I really believe some of you people take this stuff too seriously. Heavy metal music is supposed to be fun.