Symphony X  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > SymphonyX
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
zodv

Top Five - The Musics For Ever

In the opinion of you, what are the best songs of Symphony X?
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Liampie

DWOT, Odyssey, Through the Looking Glass, Rediscovery. Not sure on the fifth. Accolade? Communion? Candlelight?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
RuRoRul

The Odyssey, When All Is Lost, Revelation, Rediscovery Pt. 2, The Divine Wings Of Tragedy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Postulate
Have a nice day! :)

Divine Wings, Awakenings, Accolade, A Winter's Dream, Candlelight Fantasia.
Blindfold? Cigarette? Any other clichés we can get for you before blowing you suddenly into the nothingness that you preached in the apathy and implied in the carelessness of your life? Who are we? Oh, you know...atoms, tracts of empty space, all that stuff. You're tried, and convicted–committed by nothing, of nothing, to nothing. That's what you've always said. Who are you? Oh, now you're asking...
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kenneth R.
Cináed

Odyssey, DWOT, Accolade, Rediscovery, Communion

The greatest story leaves you before a door to the dark. felix, qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
SeaofDivineWings

Divine Wings, Odyssey, Rediscovery Part 2, Looking Glass, 5th alternates between Communion, The Edge of Forever, Awakenings and Accolade
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Phanto
Alalalalalalalala.

Egypt
Rediscovery
The Odyssey
Lady of the Snow
Candlelight Fantasia
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Isaac_de_Moorea
Silent Member

In no particular order:

Awakenings
A Winter´s Dream (parts I & II)
Through the Looking Glass
Rediscovery (parts I & II)
Communion and The Oracle
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Marwen
Five Align

Communion and the Oracle
Egypt
The Accolade
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
The Odyssey
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
UnholyCrusada

Can't I just say all of V?

But seriously, it would probably be:

The Odyssey
Rediscovery (both parts together)
When All Is Lost
Communion and the Oracle
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Postulate

Surprised that anyone would leave Divine Wings off the list. Easily the best SX song, IMO, by a pretty wide margin.
Blindfold? Cigarette? Any other clichés we can get for you before blowing you suddenly into the nothingness that you preached in the apathy and implied in the carelessness of your life? Who are we? Oh, you know...atoms, tracts of empty space, all that stuff. You're tried, and convicted–committed by nothing, of nothing, to nothing. That's what you've always said. Who are you? Oh, now you're asking...
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
donKyle

^Indeed it is. I wonder what a list would look like if we had to leave off all the epics? Probably all the balladish songs.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wander
10+2=6

Best Symphony X songs that are under 5 minutes long would be tough.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
RuRoRul

The Odyssey is by far the best SX song. Top 5 songs under 5 minutes would be extremely tough... Frontiers, Bastards Of The Machine, The Bird Serpent War / Cataclysm, Absence Of Light, Of Sins And Shadows. There really isn't a great deal of choice though.
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Harris The Epic
The Keyboard Guy

Communion and the Oracle
Rediscovery
Iconoclast
Through the Looking Glass
The Odyssey
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Postulate

Under 5 minutes:

The Bird-Serpent War / Cataclysm, The Death of Balance / Lacrymosa, Incantations of the Apprentice, Absence of Light, Whispers.
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
_Gentleman of_the Snow_
Prog' Drummer

The Witching Hour
Sonata
Out of the Ashes
The Turning
End of Innocence
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Postulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Gentleman of_the Snow_ View Post
The Witching Hour
Sonata
Out of the Ashes
The Turning
End of Innocence
End of Innocence over Death of Balance? No way, I refuse to believe these slanderous lies.
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Detective Clarence Beauregard
Dehumanized

- The Divine Wings of Tragedy (has a special meaning to me)
- The Odyssey
- Communion and the Oracle
- Through the Looking Glass
- Rediscovery (both parts, as they are one song to me)

Accolade II is a supreme runner-up on this list, as it is the first Symphony X song that made me say "Holy shit, this is better than anything I've ever heard, ever." Candlelight Fantasia may also be the most emotive song I've heard by them. Narrowing it down to a top five is really difficult; a top ten would have been easier. So let's just say I had to pick five more...

- Accolade II
- Candlelight Fantasia
- Awakenings
- The Edge of Forever
- The Accolade

So there you have it. I love their heavier stuff, but the progressive songs, in my humble opinion, take much more talent to write and are far more emotive. As much as I love songs like Church of the Machine, Egypt, Dressed To Kill, King of Terrors, The Walls of Babylon, Prometheus, and even Heretic, they simply don't compare to the more progressive epics.

I also must add that the "progressive" songs on their last two albums (Paradise Lost, The Sacrifice, and WAIL), while decent tracks, are nothing when compared to the ten tracks I've listed above. My guess? As much as I love MJR's songwriting prowess, limiting these songs to (mostly) just one individual writer was their downfall. If you look at the songwriting credits on the ten great songs I listed, you'll see a healthy dose of Pinnella, Miller, LePond, and Rullo. Hopefully they'll keep this in mind for the next album.

"I refuse to abandon my work! I've finished my research on the T-Virus, but I need a little more time to complete the more powerful G-Virus." - William Birkin
"Do as you wish. I will follow my initial plan and lure the S.T.A.R.S. members into the mansion. Their superior combat training
should make them perfect test subjects." - Albert Wesker

Last edited by Detective Clarence Beauregard : May 5th, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
AsoTamaki

Impossible. Hm. I will go with the five songs that probably impacted me the most at one point in time, even if I may not listen to them much or consider them the best these days.

Egypt
Inferno
The Eyes of Medusa
Awakenings
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Liampie

Favourite shorter songs:
- Evolution
- Wicked
- Fallen
- Of Sins and Shadows
- Inferno
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
Marwen
Five Align

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Gentleman of_the Snow_ View Post
The Witching Hour
Sonata
Out of the Ashes
The Turning
End of Innocence
Really? I thought V was your favorite. All of these are rather meh to me.

Looks like Ken's list is the closest to mine, except I have Egypt instead of Rediscovery, but both songs are on the same level to me. If I had to add one more song to my list it would be Rediscovery.
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #23 (permalink)
RuRoRul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Clarence Beauregard View Post

I also must add that the "progressive" songs on their last two albums (Paradise Lost, The Sacrifice, and WAIL)
I don't think being soft makes something progressive. I don't see why The Sacrifice would be considered one of the "progressive" songs when it's just a simple ballad.

Anyway I disagree as to me every album they've done (minus the debut) contributes at least one progressive or epic song that's among their absolute best.
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
UnholyCrusada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Clarence Beauregard View Post
As much as I love MJR's songwriting prowess, limiting these songs to (mostly) just one individual writer was their downfall. If you look at the songwriting credits on the ten great songs I listed, you'll see a healthy dose of Pinnella, Miller, LePond, and Rullo. Hopefully they'll keep this in mind for the next album.
Well, here's something LePond said in an interview recently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePond
We’ll go and do Europe for about 10 days; then in September, we’re going to do a show in Mexico City and then we’re playing ProgPower. Then we’ll be in full writing mode for another record. What we’re shooting for is, hopefully, this summer we’re going to start working on songwriting. I think the next recording will come out in 2014, hopefully. Just putting together the songs takes a lot of time. That’s the thing we feel bad about — we’d like to put out the albums quicker, but we don’t want to put out any filler.
Notice how he claims we're going to start writing in the summer. Maybe an indication that there will be more of a group effort on the next one?
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wander
10+2=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwen View Post
Really? I thought V was your favorite. All of these are rather meh to me.

Looks like Ken's list is the closest to mine, except I have Egypt instead of Rediscovery, but both songs are on the same level to me. If I had to add one more song to my list it would be Rediscovery.
Those picks were obviously the worst songs from each previous album minus V.