Symphony X  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > SymphonyX
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kazar
SW-moderator

Tommy Karevik (singer of Seventh Wonder) joins Kamelot!

The New Chapter Begins!

Dear Kamelot Fans! We are pleased to announce the newest addition to the Kamelot Family, please give a warm welcome the Kamelot's new vocalist Tommy Karevik!

Press release:
The general public may not be overly familiar with the 30 year old Swede, Karevik, but people in the industry know him as the immensely talented frontman of the Swedish band, Seventh Wonder. Youngblood states: “We had around 800 candidates for the vacant position, among them a number of really renowned musicians, and having to reject them really wasn’t easy. We want to thank all the applicants, thank you for your understanding and we wish you all lots of success in the future!”.

The search for Tommy Karevik…

In their search for a new singer, Thomas Youngblood found YouTube to be an amazing tool: “I listened to a clip of a studio production featuring Tommy and have to confess that his performance really amazed me. His approach to melodies and themes suits KAMELOT perfectly, and during our European shows we had plenty of opportunity to find out what a great guy he is.”

Tommy first appeared as one of the guest singers on KAMELOT‘s very successful 2011 Pandemonium World Tour. Tommy states: “The tour was a lot of fun and I met a lot of nice people and got some good experience. The guys were super nice and we had a great time together! By then I was really into the band’s music and had fallen in love with the amazingly loyal and dedicated fans at every show.”

Karevik is thrilled about his new position: “I am so honored to now be a part of this family and I can`t wait to move into the new era of the band together with the guys. I fully understand that this comes with great responsibility and that it will be a big challenge for me as a singer as well as a person, but you can rest assured I will give it my all. From this day, a new journey has begun and I am really eager to meet you all along the way to share my passion for this music!”.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kenneth R.
Cináed

What really strikes me about Kamelot, their publicity, and their professional image, is how clinically marketed it is. They present themselves more as a business than as a band. YMMV.

The greatest story leaves you before a door to the dark. felix, qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
donKyle

So he's no longer with Seventh Wonder? That's sad, because I really liked him as their singer. If not, then I don't see how he can stay in both bands. I'm not a big fan of Kamelot.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
ABQShredHead
©1970

Khan was what I liked about Kamelot. But I'll give the new Kamelot a chance before passing judgment.

More hops, please! I like big hops and I cannot lie...
Maker of fine beers and owner of The Backyard Brewery.
Action Figures Sold Separately
Guitar Talk, Love, & Drums
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
donKyle

^Tommy's a fantastic singer, but I just don't like this.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kenneth R.
Cináed

My gripe ^ From the recording promo youtube video. It does have the Amaranthe girl singing though, which is a guilty pleasure.

But this marketing looks like a business, not a band. Obviously bands are businesses, but there is a range upon which one identifies primarily focused on one or the other. Kamelot is making their distinction clear.

If they can dump the Ghost Opera/whatever that other one was stuff, and make something as good as Black Halo again, I'm all ears.

The greatest story leaves you before a door to the dark. felix, qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.

Last edited by Kenneth R. : June 22nd, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Detective Clarence Beauregard
Dehumanized

This is a shame, since I like Seventh Wonder far more than I do the Broadway stylings of Kamelot. Still, it may be interesting to see what Tommy can do in his new band. I'm assuming he quit Seventh Wonder, which is disheartening considering that they're far better musicians than Kamelot.

"I refuse to abandon my work! I've finished my research on the T-Virus, but I need a little more time to complete the more powerful G-Virus." - William Birkin
"Do as you wish. I will follow my initial plan and lure the S.T.A.R.S. members into the mansion. Their superior combat training
should make them perfect test subjects." - Albert Wesker
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Postulate
Have a nice day! :)

Bleh.
Blindfold? Cigarette? Any other clichés we can get for you before blowing you suddenly into the nothingness that you preached in the apathy and implied in the carelessness of your life? Who are we? Oh, you know...atoms, tracts of empty space, all that stuff. You're tried, and convicted–committed by nothing, of nothing, to nothing. That's what you've always said. Who are you? Oh, now you're asking...
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Isaac_de_Moorea
Silent Member

I have read in Kamelot´s own page that he (Tommy Karevik) hasn´t the minimum intention to quit Seventh Wonder.

I have the minimum interest in the subject becuse I´m not fan of either bands, but gained my attention that he´s actually not quitting from SW.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
donKyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Clarence Beauregard View Post
This is a shame, since I like Seventh Wonder far more than I do the Broadway stylings of Kamelot. Still, it may be interesting to see what Tommy can do in his new band. I'm assuming he quit Seventh Wonder, which is disheartening considering that they're far better musicians than Kamelot.
No, he said he's staying with SW. However, who knows if that will last, or if the other members of Kamelot pressure him into quitting SW so he can focus completely on Kamelot stuff.

I'm upset about Tommy joining Kamelot, mainly because I'm not a huge fan. In my opinion, they've only released a few quality albums, and bands' music doesn't tend to get better the older they get. Or maybe he'll bring something new to the table and Kamelot will sound very different with Tommy, which I doubt. I really like his stuff with Seventh Wonder, and they have quickly become one of my favorite bands.

Basically, I just hope he stays in SW forever, because they make better music than Kamelot. Maybe Kamelot will decide to bring SW along on their next world tour or something, because that would be cool, and I could finally see them live.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Detective Clarence Beauregard
Dehumanized

Quote:
Originally Posted by donKyle View Post
Basically, I just hope he stays in SW forever, because they make better music than Kamelot. Maybe Kamelot will decide to bring SW along on their next world tour or something, because that would be cool, and I could finally see them live.
Me too, since I don't think SW has ever played in the US and I would love to see them. Opening for Symphony X, for example, would be a great opportunity for them.

"I refuse to abandon my work! I've finished my research on the T-Virus, but I need a little more time to complete the more powerful G-Virus." - William Birkin
"Do as you wish. I will follow my initial plan and lure the S.T.A.R.S. members into the mansion. Their superior combat training
should make them perfect test subjects." - Albert Wesker
Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
EyeballKid
Shyamalan'd

This is seriously the only thing that could keep me listening to Kamelot. I'm very excited. Khan is the voice of Kamelot, IMO, but if he must be replaced, I can't think of a better singer for the job. I love Tommy in SW and hopefully his influence adds a new layer to Kamelot's sound and reinvigorates their passion for songwriting (which has been sorely lacking on the last two albums).

That said, I really don't want to see SW disappear. They have much more potential than Kamelot at this stage in their career. This will either be amazing or a pointless exercise in recording a couple more albums before disbanding or reuniting with Khan when their popularity diminishes. I'm seeing a career trajectory and fan reaction similar to Anthrax here (though John Bush was always preferable to me).

Oh, and having both bands tour together sounds awesome...but talk about a real quick way to burn out a vocalist.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
EyeballKid
Shyamalan'd

Also, this slays any singing Roy has done on tour in the last few years:

Last edited by EyeballKid : June 23rd, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Alteredmindeath
Pathfinder Chronicler

Kamelot sucks. Always have, always will.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
donKyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballKid View Post

Oh, and having both bands tour together sounds awesome...but talk about a real quick way to burn out a vocalist.
It would be tough, but I don't think it'd be impossible. Wouldn't it be like bands who tour with no supporting acts, and just play multiple sets?
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
EyeballKid
Shyamalan'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alteredmindeath View Post
Kamelot sucks. Always have, always will.
Good, thank you for adding to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donKyle View Post
It would be tough, but I don't think it'd be impossible. Wouldn't it be like bands who tour with no supporting acts, and just play multiple sets?
True, but Tommy's got some pretty impressive vocal pyrotechnics. It's not like Dream Theater where LaBrie is allowed to rest his voice for 15 minutes during a jam or instrumental. Kamelot is very straightforward, with lots of vocals, and Seventh Wonder (for a prog band) are literally overflowing with vocals. Impossible? Probably not, but Tommy would have to possess some incredible vocal stamina.

Last edited by EyeballKid : June 23rd, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Kazar
SW-moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Clarence Beauregard View Post
Me too, since I don't think SW has ever played in the US and I would love to see them. Opening for Symphony X, for example, would be a great opportunity for them.
They did play in the US, namely 'ProgPower' in 2010.

(By the way, they'd love to play with SX: that's a band they all love!!)

Old June 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Marwen
Five Align

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulate View Post
Bleh.
I have to agree with this observation.
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
_Gentleman of_the Snow_
Prog' Drummer

Vocalist from Circus Maximus is the best fit, but I much prefer CM, and I don't want wasting his time in Kamelot.
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
donKyle

^That's pretty much how I feel about Tommy.
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Sauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Gentleman of_the Snow_ View Post
Vocalist from Circus Maximus is the best fit, but I much prefer CM, and I don't want wasting his time in Kamelot.
I was terrified they might choose that guy, as it would have utterly destroyed my interest in Kamelot.

Not sure about this Karevik either but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
ABQShredHead
©1970

Quote:
Also, this slays any singing Roy has done on tour in the last few years:

I found his voice quite boring in comparison to Khan's.

Quote:
True, but Tommy's got some pretty impressive vocal pyrotechnics. It's not like Dream Theater where LaBrie is allowed to rest his voice for 15 minutes during a jam or instrumental. Kamelot is very straightforward, with lots of vocals, and Seventh Wonder (for a prog band) are literally overflowing with vocals. Impossible? Probably not, but Tommy would have to possess some incredible vocal stamina.
So what you're really saying is you want LaBrie to join Kamelot?

More hops, please! I like big hops and I cannot lie...
Maker of fine beers and owner of The Backyard Brewery.
Action Figures Sold Separately
Guitar Talk, Love, & Drums
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
EyeballKid
Shyamalan'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQShredHead View Post
I found his voice quite boring in comparison to Khan's.
Khan eight years ago, maybe. But his voice has been supremely boring (even on the studio recordings) since Ghost Opera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQShredHead View Post
So what you're really saying is you want LaBrie to join Kamelot?
If nothing else they'd be able to introduce a new character into their mythology: a squat, bird-like boring man who disappears often. Possibly Helena's personal servant?
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
donKyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauna View Post
I was terrified they might choose that guy, as it would have utterly destroyed my interest in Kamelot.

Not sure about this Karevik either but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Have you ever listened to Seventh Wonder?
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
iceandfire84
The One Who Knocks

Seventh Wonder is easily one the most talented metal bands out there right now imo. I hope Tommy truly stays with the band and doesn't go all the way to the dark side...