This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

16:9 Widescreen?

Discussion in 'Evergrey' started by Snowmaker, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Snowmaker

Snowmaker GO BLUE!!

Why does is say that the DVD is in 16:9 Widescreen on the back when the concert shows in 4:3 Full Screen? (This is for the NTSC release.)

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, since all my other widescreen DVDs play fine. :erk:

2. 1Time

1Time Member

I think it has to do with coverting PAL signals to NTSC. I'm not completely sure, but I think thats why it looks kind of like a widescreen dvd that is being stretched vertically to fill the screen. I have a widescreen TV so when I stretch the picture to fit the tv screen it ends up looking how it is supposed to.

3. Snowmaker

Snowmaker GO BLUE!!

Well, if that's the case, are there any plans to correct this problem? I have a regular 36" TV and it looks ridiculous stretched vertically. Everyone is tall and skinny.

4. peza

peza Reported Type: INTP

Weird, since everybody is actually tall and fat ;)

Should be corrected though

5. sknight

sknight Are You Morbid?

LI, NY-The center of heavy metal and SUVs
    Yeah, that was stupid and weird.

6. peza

peza Reported Type: INTP

yeah, but is it actually an issue in more than on one mans screen? I have a hard time to understand that the format would go shait on the other side of the lake, or when you transcode it between pal and ntsc. Is not like it's the first time it has been done, and technology is likely to have developed a little bit further.

staygrey

7. RockGarden

RockGarden Member

After investigating the problem which bugged the crap out of me I found that the tag in the IFO file on the DVD are set to 4:3 instead of 16:9. Technically, you could rip it to your hard drive and use IFO editor to change the tag to 16:9 and it'll look normal.....at least it did on my computer. As soon as I get some dual layer DVDs I'll put it on disc so I don't have see everyone "tall and skinny".

Other than that, an outstanding DVD release!!!

8. Snowmaker

Snowmaker GO BLUE!!

Well, that right there tells me its a defective product and InsideOut should offer a corrected replacement disk just like Rhino did for the Dream Theater audio problem on the Live at Budokan DVD.

9. Snowmaker

Snowmaker GO BLUE!!

I just emailed InsideOut about the problem. Maybe if we can get enough people to point it out, they'll fix it.

I also started a thread in their forum on here.

10. RockGarden

RockGarden Member

Agreed. I'll do the same......I definitely shouldn't have to fix my own DVD when it should be error-free upon release!!

11. sknight

sknight Are You Morbid?

insert the link for the thread somewhere here for easy reference.

And the record companies never get the idea of why people are not buying and downloading instead. This is where the artists should be getting more involved and pushing their labels to do the right thing rather than sit back and let them take care of distribution and packaging.

12. Snowmaker

Snowmaker GO BLUE!!

13. Darth Carvin

Darth Carvin New Metal Member

I was disappionted in the video quality. Thanks for confirming my belief that they screwed up this DVD. I have a Sharp DLP front projector firing onto a 103" 16x9 ratio screen and in full mode (which is what I use for all enhanced widescreen dvds) this concert still looked geometrically wrong. I then brought it upstairs and viewed it on my standard 4x3 ratio 35" tube tv and it's wrong! It fills the screen when I should have black bars on the top and bottom for letterboxing if it was widescreen.
    I hope they fix this issue! My Opeth and Katatonia DVD's look great in comparison.

14. sknight

sknight Are You Morbid?

I figured this was how it goes, but I stand corrected and this should not be tolerated. Doubtful that they will do anything about it. Record companies rarely do and the Dream Theater fix was rare. It avoided a large scale recall (even though in reality they suppressed the fact of the need for one) because they are strong sellers, going DVD platinum.

15. El Diablo

El Diablo Member

Are you sure it's not anamorphic?

I mean if the DVD has anamorphic video, it is stretched to fill the screen if you view it from "normal" 4:3 TV and thus create tall and slim people. And when you watch it from a widescreen 16:9 TV it fills the whole screen and dimensions are normal.

If the case is this, then it's not a fault, it's just a good thing. Nowadays most of movies are shot in anamorphic formation.

16. Darth Carvin

No, not correct.....as stated above it's something they didn't set correctly in the encoding apparently. If you have a standard 4:3 tv you would set up in your dvd player menu that you have a 4:3 tv, not 16x9. So you should have black bars across top & bottom so you see the entire 16x9 (1.78:1) ratio without any geometric distortion (squeezed).

If you have a 16x9 (1.78:1) widescreen tv you would set your dvd player to 16x9. So, if you set the widescreen tv to 4:3 (black bars at the sides) and it's a anamorphic dvd the picture would be squeezed vertically.....you would select "full" mode and it unsqueezes the picture to fill the 1.78:1 screen. I won't even go into 2.35:1 ratio but, you'll still have black bars top and bottom even on a widescreen tv.

All this gets very difficult to discuss because most people don't understand. I wish there was one ratio tv and programing already! I don't know how many times I see people with widescreen tvs and dvd players that have them set up wrong. I'm a home theater enthusiast for over ten years now and I know the differences between full frame, pan and scan, letterbox, anamorphic etc., etc. Trust me....the DVD is wrong! It should be fixed.....we deserve better and so does Evergrey!

17. Snowmaker

Snowmaker GO BLUE!!

I quoted your post over on the InsideOut forum. I sure hope they reply.

18. Helen A. Handbasket

Helen A. Handbasket ---------------------

Hmmm.....all of that is interesting, but I'm just thankful to have an Evergrey DVD to watch --- regardless of who's tall & skinny or short & fat.

19. Darth Carvin

I guess people just don't give a sh!t about quality. If no one speaks up or cares we'll keep getting inferior products....and I'm not just talking about this dvd either but, in general.

Thanks Snowmaker but, I don't think the forum over there is gonna make a big difference. Those of us that care need to e-mail someone at Insideout directly and see what responses we get from them. I'm not sure they read the forums. I registered and posted here because I noticed the topic come up and that others saw the same as I did and where not happy.

Take care all :)

20. everpain

everpain Member

Personally, I care about quality of products that I buy with my hard-earned money. However, I have not had this problem with the DVD, so I can't comment - everything is in proportion on my widescreen TV and it looks great.
    To say that other "just don't give a sh!t" is a bit harsh - if we don't know about the problems etc, how can we complain?!
    If others are having problems, you have my full support though and I'll e-mail the record label or whatever is needed.