This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

A concept album about Stephen King´s "The Dark Tower"

Discussion in 'Bar' started by Felix Neumann, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Felix Neumann

Felix Neumann Member

EDIT:

The first 4 songs of the project are finished!

Credit list:

Felix Neumann (all music, vocals, production & mix)
    James Stephenson (proper mastering)
    Mike Watts (artworks)
    Marco Cudan (bandlogo for myspace)
    Martin Sauerbrey (upcoming myspace design)
    Mikael "Analgrinder333" thanks for reamping!!

lead solos:

Wolfgang Zenk (7for4, former Sieges Even)
    Lasse Lammert (Incubator, Clipping Death)
    Kimon Zeliotis (Escalation)
    Ola Englund (Scarpoint, Feared)
    Marcus Hedwig (Apex Predator)
    Carlos Alvarez (Shadowdance)
    Oliver Lucas (Azistenostora as Forum)
    James Stephenson (The Black Stymphilian)
    Felix Neumann (Clipping Death, Act of Rage)

Thanks Julia Neumann for playing the violine ;)

Here is the link:

MACHINES & MADNESS facebook page

EDIT:

Well...maybe it´s time to excavate this thread again, because it couldn´t be more current! I think, some of you guys know the song "The world has moved again"(feat. Metaltastic, Keregioz, The_Shred) That was the first song I recorded for this longtime project.

Now I´m on the verge to show you the second song of the project, called "The Gunslinger´s Ka" (feat. Goddamn guitar, Metaltastic, Keregioz, The_Shred, Oliver, Skinny Viking and me on the leads). Yes..you read it correctly. 7 lead solos played by 7 different guys around the world in one fucking song/instrumental! Lasse Lammert is just about to master it, so I will open a thread about the song in the next days.

This is supposed to be the prelude/the opener of the album. This track will show, what you can expect of the entire album, when it´s finished then. Fucking lead battles & merciless riffing!!!! :) The name of this longtime project is called MACHINES & MADNESS.

Hi dudes :kickass:

After a long time being abstinent musically, my passion was loaded again (wow it´s really happening) and one certain idea grew on in the last time: Starting a concept album about the dark tower! Each book - one song. The first song I composed already in the last few days. The reason why I write this here at the forum is the following.

I would like to work with some guest Sneapsters for solos, growls, lyrics and artworks. I´ll record the complete backing tracks and vocals though. The best thing would be, finding some "Dark Tower" enthusiasts here, who might be an enormous help, realizing this long time project.

Anyone interested basically? What do you think about it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(series)

[​IMG]

#1 Felix Neumann, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  2. iekobrid

iekobrid Authorized XSr™ Dealer

I lack the musical talent / functioning equipment necessary to record much of anything at the moment, so all I can offer is support and feedback. Drawing of the Three has been my go-to book for long flights for at least a decade now. :headbang:

3. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

You KNOW I'm down for a solo or two (or three) Felix! :headbang:

4. Felix Neumann

Felix Neumann Member

Oh yeah, it´s good to hear that, dude! I just read "drawing of the three" the second time. Detta walker for president :)

I NEVER had read the following so far:

# The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla (2003) - Locus Award nominee, 2004[2]
    # The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah (2004) - Locus Award nominee, 2005[3]
    # The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower (2004) - British Fantasy Award winner, 2005[

So the songs 5 -7 will be fresh impressive as fresh can be. The first 4 books got me completely in its charm. I love it! The books are not from this earth and not to assign genre wise IMO. So I wanna do it with the songs. Making the most possible of artistic freedom.

5. Felix Neumann

Felix Neumann Member

Hell yeah Marcus :kickass: I´m fucking glad, you are up for some guestsolos!! This will be a long time project. I don´t have a deadline or something..but this is exactly that, what I wanna do. An epic project without pressure of time :)

6. Keregioz

Keregioz Kimon Zeliotis

I'm not familiar at all with the "Dark tower" series but I'm definitely willing to contribute a solo. Just let me know.

7. nwright

nwright Member

The book seem to have so much in them, each song could be an hour long!

8. iekobrid

6-7 years ago I heard a Dark Tower-inspired song called "Other Worlds Than These". Aside from the DT aspect it was just a particularly forgettable 90s college radio rock tune, like Matthew Sweet plus The Smithereens minus talent.

9. Felix Neumann

Felix Neumann Member

Yeah that´s right, but I don´t wanna tell the whole story. It will be like more kind of soundtrack. My goal is to create a certain atmosphere what fits with the story. I know, this is not easy. But I have all time in the world :)

10. Felix Neumann

Felix Neumann Member

Yeah man, sounds good :) And when you have too much time someday, check out the books. This has nothing to do with the other stuff, Stephen King wrote. It´s different, strange and phantastic..his lifetime achievement.

11. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Yeah, I've never checked out any of the Dark Tower stuff either, but I may just to get myself in the right mindset for this :D And trust me Felix - you DEFINITELY want Kimon to contribute :headbang:

12. iekobrid

Nothing yet everything. :lol: SK loves to makes references to The Dark Towerverse in his other books and vice versa. Name dropper.

13. Felix Neumann

Felix Neumann Member

Some friends of mine strongly recommended it to me. It´s good they did :) When I read it, I´m completely in a different sphere.

The first book begins like a typical Clint Eastwood (great influence for the book) Western story..then things happen and you are completely confused, but questions will be answered, when you go on and on and on...I could not stop reading it! I was more addicted to the book than as I had my cod4 addict problems :lol:

Okay, I´m very, very corious :) I have prepared some nice places for solo battles. This project will be full of solo stuff!

14. Felix Neumann

Felix Neumann Member

+10000

15. RyanUsesThis

I'd love to hear a full album based on the Dark Tower. As of yet I've only heard "Somewhere Far Beyond" by Blind Guardian... based on the first two books. And "Touched by the Crimson King", "Terror Train" by Demons & Wizards. All very good songs, but I'd say they may have missed the mark in the Atmosphere department.

#15 RyanUsesThis, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  16. RyanUsesThis

...also. I'm a HUGE fan of the series. It may interest some of you that SK sold the screen play rights to John Johnson, and we can expect either a movie, or mini series in the near future.

17. Keregioz

Keregioz Kimon Zeliotis

I really enjoy reading books and I was a stephen king fan when I was younger. I've read most of his classics and I really enjoyed them....but after reading a lot of the other books he wrote I really got tired of his style. I'm definitely willing to give the "Dark Tower" series a chance though if like you say it's different.

18. iekobrid

' Darkstone Entertainment, the production team behind PLAN 9, the remake of Ed Wood's PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, is prepping a new indie project with director John Johnson. Going into production this Christmas is the first of his series of the adaption of THE DARK TOWER, which is not to be confused with the comic or novel by Stephen King.

[Johnson's] DARK TOWER is based on the original poem by Robert Browning "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" and the English fairytale "Burd Ellen" also known as "Childe Rowland".'

' "Are you freakin' kidding me?" exclaimed JoBlo's AMMON GILBERT, clearly not convinced of the originality of Johnson's concept. "Sure, it's technically based on the original poem, but really, it's a way to rip off the great Stephen King's 30-year epic of Roland the Gunslinger."

Indeed, Johnson has admitted to being a big fan of King's novels and Marvel Comics' series based on them. However, while King set his epic in an anachronistic world of his own design, Johnson at least has decided to retain Browning's element of archaic concepts in the modern era, a conceit that was integral to the poem's theme of literary tradition in a much-changed society. '

19. iekobrid

' Star Trek director J.J. Abrams and his producing partner, Damon Lindelof (Lost), told IGN.com that they have been working on a film adaptation of Stephen King's classic novel series The Dark Tower, according to a report on MTV.com.

"Damon Lindelof and I talked to Mr. King," Abrams told IGN. "We got the rights for [Dark Tower] as a film. Damon is obviously still on Lost, and we've been working on Star Trek together. As soon as Lost is done, hopefully we'll begin tackling that."

As Lost wraps up its penultimate season and gets ready for its sixth and final year, Lindelof told the Lostpedia that his entire creative energy is currently focused solely on the series.

"We're just so focused on finishing Lost that it's really hard to think about anything else," he said. "The last thing we want to think about is how to adapt a seven-book series of, you know, basically the writer who we admire the most and look up to most and has inspired our work the most and do anything with that. I think that it's such a daunting task. We have a pretty daunting task in front of us ourselves [with the end of Lost]."

Previously, Lindelof told AMC that he envisions the series on the same scope as Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, possibly even seven movies to match the book series' seven volumes. '

http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/is-jj-abrams-eyeing-a-fil.php

20. RyanUsesThis

Damn IMDB... led me wrong yet again.