This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

A question for those in the music industry … or others with helpful suggestions

Discussion in 'US Metal Scene' started by BlackRoseMetalHeart, Jan 15, 2007.

1. BlackRoseMetalHeart

BlackRoseMetalHeart Metal Mistress

At the end of 2006 I was laid off, so for the past few weeks I have been examining various positions in the area of marketing. Music and band promotion was one of the main reasons I became interested in marketing in the first place, so I thought now that I have some experience under my belt, it might be an appropriate time to start looking into and exploring job opportunities in the music industry.

I graduated from college in 2005 with a BA in English, a concentration in creative writing and a minor in communication arts. I also have previous experience working with bands doing promotional work on a local level and for the past two years I have worked for a marketing company based in Baltimore.

There are a lot of folks on here who run or work for festivals/shows, bands, venues, labels, distribution outfits, etc., so I’m hoping at the very least I’ll be able to walk away with some good advice and maybe a few potential job opportunities. I’m sure a lot of stuff, especially in the genre of metal, is done on a volunteer basis, but I’m still interested if any one has any advice for how I might be able to get my foot in the door or get some more experience … and if I can make money at the same time – great!

I typically just post on the ProgPower USA forum on Ultimate Metal, but I’m posting this on a couple different forums to get a variety of opinions and advice. Hope the moderators don’t mind. :)

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Metal Forever! :headbang: