This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Acacia Strain/ Emmure Type Mix

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by DestroyTheColossus, Apr 25, 2011.

1. DestroyTheColossus

EDIT: I figured I would update this to share. The EP is done and has been released as a free download. The final mix was changed slightly from what I last posted. All songs are available for listen and download here: http://mankindwillfuckingburn.bandcamp.com/

Our facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mankindwillburn

Original Post:
    First thing, I know there is a lot of hate for these types of bands and this is gonna be more of the same, so it would be cool if we could keep unnecessary comments in regards to that out of this thread.

Anyway, this is my personal band. I'm working on finishing up the mix for our EP and would like any input as to how its sounding so far. Im having a little trouble hearing it for what it is at the moment as opposed to hearing all the little things from the work that's been done so far.

This is an extended intro song, so its not the most interesting musically, but should give an idea of the mix. Thanks in advance for any input!

NEWEST LINK:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236952/Song%202%20Check%20Final.mp3

Original Link:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236952/Song%202%20CHECK.mp3

2. kernelxsanders

kernelxsanders Bam Bam Boogie Bear!

please, for the love of god, do not ever relate the acacia strain to emmure. pretty good music, TAS doesnt deserve that kind of insult.

anywho, the music is pretty cool, sounds like a straight up rip from TAS though, but i can still jam to it. the main thing is that it doesnt seem to hit me in the face enough.

3. DestroyTheColossus

Thanks for the input. I added Emmure on there to hopefully grab the attention of a few more viewers but I agree they are not on the same level. Could you elaborate on how it could "hit you in the face" more? Or something mix related?

4. Josh M.

Josh M. Member

I think the drums could use a bit of reverb as they sound quite dry. Maybe the snare could be squashed a bit for the "in the face" feel? I reckon some parallel compression on the snare would go a long way.

5. oroinvictus

oroinvictus dangert billy

The drums are pretty dry and could be a lot punchier. The guitars could also use a bit more punch.

6. dani

dani beat defective

emmure and tas may hate each other, but they play similar sorts of music.. i think that was vincent's problem with frankie.. it was too similar ;)

the mix is really quite cool, only complaint is that the guitars sound a bit too nasal.. i'd would take a look around the 200hz area (a medium width cut, with a low shelf boost of a 1 or 2db to account for the missing lows), and see where that gets you.

really good work here.

thanks,

7. DestroyTheColossus

Thanks so far for the input! I've made some changes and updated the OP to include the new version. I tried to give the drums a bit more punch, and make the snare more present while making the reverb more audible. Don't know if I really helped or hurt what I had originally though, so any input would be great to hear!

Updated version:
    removed

8. jimwilbourne

jimwilbourne I try.

I'm not really diggin the snare drum.
    I don't think it goes with this mix at all. just my opinion though. if you like it, keep it.

and dani nailed the guitar comment.

but overall, sounds really solid. excellent work!

9. ThriceFan

ThriceFan Member

This mix is brutal as fuck, only thing i would say is the snare sounds kinda dull. I really like the guitar tones and the way they blend with the bass. And the editing is great everything is clean and accurate.

10. DestroyTheColossus

After over tweaking things even further than the last update, I realized I liked how the music translated in the earlier mix more, so I went back and made more subtle adjustments and this is most likely the mix we are going with. Thank you guys for the input, and any further input to keep in mind for future projects would be much appreciated.

Here's the latest version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236952/Song%202%20Check%20Final.mp3

11. PeterPaul760

PeterPaul760 Member

The guitars are still a bit dull, definitely could take that mix to a whole new level if you get that worked out solid.

12. AllanD

AllanD boom tap boom-boom tap

Vocals are too loud IMO.

13. IntoEntropy

IntoEntropy New Metal Member

sounds great to me. i like how the guitars sound a lot more detailed in the latest mix :D

14. ChristopherJames99

what did you use on the guitars?
    really like the tone.

15. 462studio

462studio 462 Studio

Turn vocals down a bit.
    Add a bit of top end to guitars.
    Strap something like Rocket (compressor) on the snare and kick and then maybe another instance on the OHs.

That's where I'd start. Just to get the drums a bit more in your face and give the guitars some additional air and clarity.

Edit: If you're going for the latest TAS release, you're pretty fucking close, I might add. Nice work.

16. Raptor7

Raptor7 Member

Nice mix man, good job.Br00tz.

What is your chain for the lead guitars starting 1:36 pls. What kind of delay/reverb pls, thx.

17. MasterHobo

MasterHobo New Metal Member

Whilst I can enjoy a little Emmure from time to time, TAS are just so unearthly heavy its very hard to emulate. One thing of note, its not so much on the mixing side of things, but TAS tend to have guitars doing more than one thing at a time, there always seems to be a wall of guitars at any given part.

Fuck me though, when TAS strain do a breakdown, they handle it like pros. So heavy.

18. xBOBxSAGETx

xBOBxSAGETx Member

Snare is thin, needs to stick out more in the mix!

19. Alexchapel

Alexchapel New Metal Member

Mix is pretty awesome but my favorite part is the vocals. Very clear and aggressive, can you tell us about how you did those? (mic, preamp, post processing, etc.)

20. rchoi54

rchoi54 Member

Hey man, mind linking me to your band's website/networking page?