This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alice In Chains/Jerry Cantrell

Discussion in 'Non-Metal' started by Astral_Dominion, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Astral_Dominion

Astral_Dominion Shanghaid

Any Jerry or AIC fans out there?

2. Sickman

Sickman Member

HUGE Alice in Chains fan, but Cantrell's solo stuff doesn't excite me too much. I think Boggy Depot is a pretty good album, but Degradation Trip never grew on me.

3. Astral_Dominion

Heheh! Same here. I have some personal antipathies towards Jerry but I still consider that Degradation Trip is a decent record, nothing huge but decent.

Anyways, Mad Season is a million light years ahead of Jerry and will always be.

[OFFTOPIC]Are you the same Sickman than in the Jerry Cantrell forum?[/OFFTOPIC]

4. Sickman

Sickman Member

No, I've never been to that forum. I used to post at the www.jarofflies.com forum, but I think my username is Amorphis. I haven't been there in a while though. And I totally agree about Mad Season. Layne just sounds so clear and coherent on that album. I just wish he could have stayed clean a little bit longer to put out a 2nd Mad Season album. It's hard to believe that this is the same guy who sang on AIC's self-titled record. I think he sounds really weak on that album. He still sounds good, but really weak by his standards.

5. NAD

NAD What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse

Alice in Chains is one of my all time favorite bands, I still miss Layne. There are very few albums as incredible as Dirt.

Boggy Depot has some really good moments, but isn't great by any means.

Degradation Trip volumes 1 & 2 is the followup that Dirt has begged for for YEARS. Absolutely perfect album, immensely better than the initial commercialized release. Hate to spam, but here's my review of Degradation Trip vols. 1 & 2: http://www.royalcarnage.com/Reviews/nad/jerry cantrell/trip_rev.htm

6. Astral_Dominion

Yeah! I think you're right. It's just that those songs in Alice In Chains are pretty monotonic, if you know what I mean. The songs are not that harmonic or melodic. Layne's voice is going like ding ding ding this and ding ding ding that. That's my not-so-formal impression of the self-titled though I think there are some of the best songs of AIC such as God Am, Sludge Factory and Again.

EDIT: And the second Mad Season album would have been more than a great thing. I mean rarely you hear first albums such as Above. It will become a classic as time goes by...

7. Astral_Dominion

That was a pretty good review. But I do think that Degradation Trip vols. 1 and 2 still misses Layne. Jerry's voice is nothing huge and to me it sounds rather boring. He is a good singer, I mean he can hit the chords but he has an empty voice. He doesn't have that kind of bending voice that Layne had and he's not able to "sing from his heart". But he is a great guitarist indeed!

8. Arrakis

Arrakis A Bassist

love both of them

9. NAD

Hey thanks!

Hmm, well I don't find it boring at all, but I see what you mean by him having an empty voice. Actually I find that a bit of his charm, he sounds quite desolate and even dead at times, but it fits pretty well. Obviously he's not as good as Layne was, but who is? :Spin:

10. Astral_Dominion

You have some good points there. I haven't never thought that Jerry's "empty voice" could be his advantage but it doesn't sound that stupid idea. Really! And you also made a good point asking who would be better than Layne. I've always compared Jerry to Layne and we all know that there are not many singer who tops Layne.

Now, has anyone of you guys ever heard Jerry's new project Cardboard Vampyres? I also heard that Jerry is playing in Kenny Wayne Shepherd's new album. That should be quite awesome.

11. NAD

12. sonofhendrix13

sonofhendrix13 some loser

I just started listening to Alice in Chains recently. Overall, what ive heard is very good. I think ill buy one of their cds sometime.

13. VIVIsectVI

VIVIsectVI I Think,Therefore You Are

Huge AIC fan here, though i'm not familiar with Cantrell's solo stuff, i've heard good things though!

14. loudsilence

loudsilence Empty

Alice in Chains is one of my favorite bands and I like Jerry Cantrell's solo albums a lot. Especially Degradation Trip Vol. 1 & 2.

15. Sir Ibanez

Sir Ibanez New Metal Member

everyone is an AIC fan! I just found this on reddit, very well written, i learned alot about his gear, but not necessarily his style..

http://drop-tuning.com/gear-review-jerry-cantrell

honestly i fancy myself a big cantrell aic guy but i didnt notice he played EVH 5150's sometimes! blew my mind

16. elohimeth

elohimeth marțolea

i love jerry's guitar playing and backing vocals. alice in chains is what got me into stoner in the first place. amazing band indeed

17. HadesRagnazrath

HadesRagnazrath IHATEGRUNGE

Smooth thread revival. First, Alice in Chains are definitely a metal band. Second, I really enjoy their music.