This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

AMON AMARTH: Jomsviking

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by KingsGene, Jan 25, 2016.

1. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

AMON AMARTH - JOMSVIKING ALBUM DETAILS REVEALED; “FIRST KILL” MUSIC VIDEO STREAMING; EUROPEAN MINI-TOUR AND NORTH AMERICAN DATES CONFIRMED

"...On March 25th, Swedish metal kings Amon Amarth will release their 10th studio album, Jomsviking, via Sony Music (International) and Metal Blade Records (North America). Jomsviking - the band's first concept record in their storied career - tells a tragic tale of love and revenge, backed by the Swedes' trademark anthemic metal. The record was produced and mixed by Andy Sneap (Megadeth, Testament, Accept) and also features special guest session drummer Tobias Gustafsson (Vomitory)....

...German rock legend Doro Pesch adds guest vocals to the song "A Dream That Cannot Be". Johan Hegg comments on the collaboration, saying, "It was a great pleasure to work with Doro. She's a very nice person and did a great job! She was actually the only one we could picture singing this song."

[​IMG]

...Jomsviking is available for pre-order in various formats at this location. Fans can view the video for the album's first single, "First Kill”, below...."

Following Jomsviking's release, Amon Amarth will tour North America with Entombed A.D. and Exmortus. Pre-sale tickets are available now at amonamarth.com. Tickets go on-sale on Friday, January 29th at 10 AM, local time at amonamarth.com.

[​IMG]

April
    7 - San Diego, CA - House of Blues
    8 - Phoenix, AZ - The Pressroom
    9 - El Paso, TX - Tricky Falls
    10 - Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theater
    12 - Dallas, TX - House of Blues
    13 - San Antonio, TX - The Aztec Theater
    15 - Houston, TX - House of Blues
    16 - New Orleans, LA - House of Blues
    17 - Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
    18 - Tampa, FL - The Ritz
    20 - Charlotte, NC - The Fillmore
    21 - Silver Spring, MD - The Fillmore
    22 - New York, NY - Best Buy Theatre
    23 - Boston, MA - House of Blues
    25 - Rochester, NY - Water Street Music Hall
    26 - Burlington, VT - Higher Ground
    28 - Quebec City, QC - Imperial
    29 - Montreal, QC - Metropolis
    30 - Toronto, ON - The Danforth

May
    1 - Cleveland, OH - House of Blues
    2 - Detroit, MI - St. Andrews
    4 - St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
    5 - Chicago, IL - The Riviera Theatre
    6 - Lawrence, KS - The Granada Theater
    7 - Denver, CO - The Ogden Theater
    9 - Omaha, NE - Sokol Auditorium
    10 - Minneapolis, MN - Varsity Theater
    12 - Winnipeg, MB - The Garrick
    13 - Saskatoon, SK - O'Brian's Event Centre
    14 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Ballroom
    16 - Vancouver, BC - The Commodore
    17 - Seattle, WA - Showbox Market
    18 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
    20 - San Francisco, CA - The Warfield
    21 - Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern Theater

2. dtfanatic

dtfanatic Member

New song and video kick ass! And they always come to Florida. \m/

3. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

I love these guys mightily as they are in my top five favorite bands . They do no wrong to these ears.

4. Pitiless Wanderer

Pitiless Wanderer Active Member

Great single. Aggressive, melodic. I dig it.

5. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

Someone on Youtube noted that this was an "experimental" song, and a departure from previous efforts.

Um. What? I dig it, though!

6. Oblivion Ocean

This album is really good. I never gave the last one too many spins, it was serviceable but just seemed like super cookie cutter. While nobody would mistake this for anything other than Amon Amarth, they are trying enough new things here to make it interesting for long time fans hoping they could spread their wings a little.

7. Fire breath

Fire breath Member

The album is awesome. But the track with the chick vocals is a fail imo. Just doesn't work. Rest is monstrous.

8. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

They're an amazingly consistent band. So consistent in fact, that "consistency" may be their only shortcoming. They so reliably stick to their formula that it's easy to pass on any one of their releases and feel like you've missed nothing. I'll continue to see them live whenever they come around, but I just don't feel compelled to buy their new material any more.

9. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

Pretty good summary. I have this album in the car right now, and it's played through a few times. I'm compelled to say I really like it. I'm also compelled to say that any or all of it could have been on With Oden on Our Side. So to that end, saying that they are a relentlessly consistent band is very valid at this point. I still really enjoy them for what it's worth. But consistency perhaps has given way to stagnancy...

10. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

I think this is accurate. I do believe they're trying to stretch their creative wings, but their style just isn't one that's given to a great deal of deviation. I also feel like the aggression has taken a back seat to accessibility. For me "Versus the World" is Amon Amarth's standard-bearer and the last few records fall short in terms of quality and aggression.

Again, as PdD states above, it's a fine record. If I hadn't heard Amon Amarth for five years I'd probably be all over it. But it's hard to get past feeling that all the songs from the last four records are largely interchangeable.

11. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

12. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

13. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Yet, if you aren't consistent or try something new, then you're crucified for it, as demonstrated in the Circus Maximus "Havoc" thread.

14. PureXul

PureXul Member

There's a difference between trying something new and shitting the bed. You could say CM did both, but only one of them is a problem in my eyes. Also, not every band is judged by the same criteria. Amon Amarth falls much more in line with a band like Manowar, where fans know exactly what they're getting (stylistically, if not qualitatively). Prog metal bands are expected to vary their sound more, rather than release iteration after iteration of the same thing.

As far as Amon Amarth, I wouldn't expect them to try much new. I think the new album has enough minor variance to not quite be stagnant, but I can also see why people would look at it differently. Ultimately, it scratches the itch of what I want out of an Amon Amarth album - catchy as hell melodeath with memorable songs and a heavy dose of Viking thematics.

15. lee drummond

lee drummond Member

Anyone else going to the Charlotte show, can't wait to see them again in just over a week!

Tags: