This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

AMORPHIS

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by ratanda, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ratanda

ratanda Member

Incredible, terrific set. Blown away. Loved it. Even a Karelian Isthmus song... wow!

2. ratanda

ratanda Member

Great mix of their old and current stuff. I would have liked to hear Exile of The Sons of Uiliu from Karelian Isthmus, but I guess we were lucky to get anything! And the song Elegy would have been nice, or Better Unborn. But hell, I'm not complaining!!!

Setlist:

I Of Crimson Blood
    Leaves Scar
    Against Widows
    Into Hiding
    Greed
    On Rich and Poor
    Silent Waters
    Towards And Against
    Under A Soil And Black Stone
    The Smoke
    Sign From The North Side
    My Kantele
    Alone
    Castaway
    House of Sleep (Encore 1)
    Black Winter Day (Encore 2)

Edit: I'm thinking I left one out between Alone and Castaway.. but not sure?

3. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

The single best set I have ever seen in my 4 years of attending this festival. There have been bands who I have liked more going in, but none have left me satisfied like that. Tomi is one of the most entertaining and dynamic frontmen to ever hit the stage. Also, sweet-mills with dreads look so much cooler than just normal sweet-mills. Never thought I'd say that, but he proved it last night. Every note was flawlessly played and they are a very tight live act. So much emotion.

Great setlist, too.

4. Perditions Ghost

Is that in order?!

Shit, if they open with I Of Crimson Blood (my favorite off Silent Waters) when I see them on Thursday...

Oh. Wow. The only songs I would have wanted that aren't there are Perkele and Drowned Maid. I hope they keep this set the same for the tour.

5. ratanda

ratanda Member

Yup! :)

6. mtndewqueen88

mtndewqueen88 Mark the Music

Exactly how I would have put it, Brian. I have only seen two frontmen (or women) that to me embodied their songs while they sang. You could see how much Tomi loved the music and how it moved through him. Incredible, absolutely incredible. I think I fell in love! Anyone who is that passionate about what they're doing... :worship:notworthy This was my favorite set from ProgPower, ever, as well.

And in case you're wondering, the other frontman is Mikael Stanne from Dark Tranquillity.

7. Perditions Ghost

Stanne is a god among frontmen when it comes to putting absolutely everything into the music, in my eyes. To have Tomi compared to him. Well, let's just say this thread has me looking forward to Thursday more and more with every post!

8. mtndewqueen88

mtndewqueen88 Mark the Music

Ha, I'm glad you feel the same way I do about Stanne. I promise you, Tomi and Amorphis will not disappoint. Hell, I think even his dreads had emotion and moved to the music. Fantastic, all around.

PS let me know what you think of the comparison on Friday after you see them.

9. SharkBlack

SharkBlack Member

Amazing Set! Enjoyed every flawless moment!!

10. TychoCelchu

TychoCelchu Member

Now I'm even more upset I won't get to see the Amorphis/Samael/Virgin Black tour :(

11. madFive

madFive Amateur Doomsayer

that amorphis performance gets a solid 8 out of 5 stars from me! beyond absolute perfection. i was truely sad when they ended for the night, and i don't think that's ever happened to me before.

wow - forgot that this tour was happening. i wanna go. are they coming back to atlanta??

12. 7thSaviour

7thSaviour Power Metal Maniac

The second best set at PPUSA IX, IMO. I loved it!:worship:rock::kickass:

13. mëtålspëd

mëtålspëd Umlauts ist Krieg

These guys do nothing for me.

14. 7thSaviour

7thSaviour Power Metal Maniac

They are for you like Riverside is for me, I see.:heh::lol: Amorphis is EASILY one of the Top 10 bands to EVER play at PPUSA over the years. You proggers out there need to hear more stuff like this!:cool:

15. Meteornotes

Meteornotes Crazed Diet Coke Addict

Due to my Tokyo jetlag, I had to leave before they were done, but what I saw, I really enjoyed. I really like this band, and thought they put on a good show. Bring them back some day!

dt

16. thedelicateflower

first time seeing them and LOVED THEM!...

when i went asking peeps what amorphis sounded like, no one knew how to explain them...just that they sounded like amorphis (thanx yippee :) )

i am not into growly vocals but i could take the amount he did growl...i loved his singing voice...i was just a little worried watching him swing his hair to and fro wondering if it was ever going to get stuck in the drum kit....o_O...(plus...he reminded me a little of johnny depp....) lol

17. The Invisible Guest

That was my favorite performance of the fest ... I went nuts up there ... totally had a blast.

Amorphis has been one of my newer found favorites of the past couple of years, and they didn't let me down in the least. Awesome set ... so glad I got to see them live at Prog Power.

Thanks also to some fine folks who helped me get a nice spot up front ... much appreciated !!

Britt

18. whitecluster69

whitecluster69 Dark Horizons

Actually, Amorphis played Divinity and not Greed off of Tuonela.

19. ratanda

ratanda Member

Ah, thanks!

20. AMBR

AMBR Metal Grandma

Yea! - another avid fan acquired. I just LOVE this band. Listened to a few CD's years ago and was just like, "yea, kinda cool," but not absorbed. Then saw a couple of live shows and was HOOKED! They really have so many dimensions to their compositions. Melodic, prog, death etc. There's just SO much there! I'm not the biggest fan of growl vocals either, but when done right and mixed with clean it can be soo awesome. Like a cello complimenting a violin is how I describe it. His switch from death to clean and rendering of both is incredible.

I discovered those dreads are incredibley good flingers of sweat. :lol::zombie: Johnny Depp? Well, he's kinda hot too, but I'm missing the similarity. :)