This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Amp noise when isolated from guitar cab

Discussion in 'Backline' started by newamerikangospel, Feb 6, 2014.

1. newamerikangospel

I tried to search for this all over, but it may be too ambiguously worded. I just got a 50' speaker cable, to allow me to have my head in a control room away from the cab in a live room. I had my head connected through my countryman and was playing with impulses vs my mic setup on my cab. When I muted my channels I heard my amp making (audibly) an output of what I could hear my cab making, only very high high (8kish-above) coming specifically from the output transformer. Since I have never heard my head apart from my cab, I don't know if this is a normal occurrence.

2. JakeAC5253

JakeAC5253 Frozen Sun Audio

Wow. That's very strange. Aside from maybe the cable length being so long that the impedance of the cable is becoming significant enough to cause this.

3. anotherpaul

anotherpaul Member

I have the same thing happening both when playing with a speaker in another room through a long cable or when playing with a loadbox. I guess it's actually always like this, but these circumstances let the head sound be heard.
    Enlighten us please, oh knowing ones!

4. Nimvi

Nimvi Member

Had this at some point too. Tried plugging things into different power sockets and it went away. I know waaay too little about power dispersion and ground loops but I'm pretty sure this is an anomaly caused by that.

5. newamerikangospel

I will play around with different outlets. I'm at least glad this isn't a sign of my output transformer going, since this isn't an isolated incident.

6. B36arin

B36arin Member

I have heard that sound a few times when I or someone else has forgot to plug the amp to a cabinet. Thankfully I haven't blown anything yet.

7. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

newamerikangospel - I've seen you around here before. Did you used to go on the old LoG forums?

8. newamerikangospel

Yeah, the old school one from 2004 in various incarnations. I also hang out around the sevenstring forums.

9. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

Yeah man. I remember you. Been a while.... That forum is where I found out about this place.