This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Analog Gear - If you had to do it all over again...

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Redoubt9000, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Redoubt9000

Redoubt9000 Member

I'm posting this in the hopes it will be a nice compliment to my earlier thread: Check it out!
    The Most Complimenting Guitar/Bass

If you had to do it all over again, no doubt you'd have a better idea of what piece you'd decide to draw upon - specific to whatever task was at hand. The idea however, is obtaining the most utility out of invested gear over the course of years. This may get subjective, but I believe over the years you've all no doubt reached a consensus on what pieces of gear are typical one-trick ponies, and those that are all-around workhorses.

So if you checked out my previously linked thread, the idea was to go for gear that accommodated each other well come mixing time (toneswoods/pickups/etc) as a kind of one-time investment deal for starters. For this thread, I'm looking along the lines of rack-based gear such as compressors, preamps, etc. Let's exclude mixing desks for now :p This is a hypothetical upward trend, where you're only recording & processing one to two tracks at any given time, one day venturing to record a full set of drums, but in the meantime acquiring useful gear without pissing away money.

For example, some may suggest a Distressor as a good all around compressor for multiple tasks - which may impress upon others that it would be a good investment to acquire close to the beginning of your analogue journey. Whereas you likely wouldn't suggest to someone questing in the analogue realm to grab a high-end digital reverb unit nearing 4-5k USD and up. It would be a ways off our original path, and arguably narrow in focus towards the beginning.

That's what we're looking for! :)

Looking forward to your thoughts.