This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Another legend dies: R.I.P. David Bowie

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Shadow298, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

2. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

RIP Major Tom Jareth. :(

The greats go and we're left with shit like Kanye and the Kardashians. :mad:

3. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Today it rains everywhere

4. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I'll never forget watching a documentary on his music, where in order to get do vocal recordings for Heroes mics were set up at 9 inches, 20ft and 40ft with gates attached to his nearest mic so that when the loudness of his voice reached a certain threshold (during the choruses) it would progressively activate the mics further away.

(Producer/Guitarist) Visconti explains the effect:

"Anyway, David then told me he was ready to record his vocal, and after we did a couple of run-throughs during which he wasn't sure where to place the octave, we eventually came to the conclusion to sing the first two verses down an octave and the rest of the song up an octave. That was another good way of building up the track, and it prompted the break in his voice which he himself calls 'Bowie histrionics', where he has to put everything into it in order to hit those high notes. It's right at the end of his range.

"My input at this point was to suggest using the room on his voice and drop the conventional method of just singing into one microphone. He agreed, and so I set up three microphones. We only had two or three tracks left, and I needed one of these for backing vocals. I couldn't even bounce down, and so we'd snookered ourselves. Therefore, even though I would have ideally loved to put each mic on a separate track — enabling us to capture the whole room when he sang loud, and just that one mic right in front of his face when he sang quietly — I put gates on mics two and three. Mic number one was in front of him with fairly heavy compression, because I knew beforehand that he was really going to shout, and it all went down to one track. This was recording by the seat of your pants, and Bowie was thrilled with the idea that I wanted to do something unique. He thrives on anything that's different and someone else hasn't thought of yet, and I just thought 'Let's do this live,' because he's a great singer and he could always sing it again if I made a mistake. That's the luxury of working with him: he's consistently good when he sings. He's in tune, he's passionate, and he delivers an arena-type performance every time.

"Mic number one was a valve U47, and with the other two on gates I made sure that number two, an 87 placed about 15 feet away from him, would go on at a certain level, while the third mic, another 87 that was all the way at the other end of the room, didn't open up until he really sang loud. That reverb on his voice is therefore the room itself, none of it is artificial, and it's his voice triggering the gates. What is really great is that the sound of the opening two verses is really intimate. It doesn't sound like a big room yet, it sounds like somebody just singing about a foot away from your ear. The whole idea worked, and what you hear on the record is probably take three. We wouldn't go beyond that. He was really worked up by then and I can tell you he was feeling it. It was quite an emotional song for him to sing, he deliberated long and hard over these lyrics, and he was ready to go, there was no holding him back. We probably punched in a few things, but it's pretty much a complete take save for a couple of notes that he redid.

#4 bsercombe, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  5. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

We already had Carlos's beautiful lines, like the bass line that was doubled on the guitar as well as the melodic part on the pre-chorus, and when Fripp came along about a week later he added a whole other dimension. He and Eno had already enjoyed a long partnership where Fripp would plug his guitar into the EMS Synthi and Brian would just play around with it, so Fripp did exactly that and he came up with that beautiful line which everyone thinks is an E-bow sound, but which is actually just Fripp standing in the right place with his volume up at the right level and getting feedback.

"Everyone who's played the song with Bowie since then has had to use an E-bow to duplicate it, but Fripp had a technique in those days where he measured the distance between the guitar and the speaker where each note would feed back. For instance, an 'A' would feed back maybe at about four feet from the speaker, whereas a 'G' would feed back maybe three and a half feet from it. He had a strip that they would place on the floor, and when he was playing the note 'F' sharp he would stand on the strip's 'F' sharp point and 'F' sharp would feed back better. He really worked this out to a fine science, and we were playing this at a terrific level in the studio, too. It was very, very loud, and all the while he was playing these notes — that beautiful overhead line — Eno was turning the dials and creating a new envelope and just playing with the filter bank. We did three takes of that, and although one take would sound very patchy, three takes had all of these filter changes and feedback blending into that very smooth, haunting, overlaying melody which you hear."

6. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Rubbish news. As I posted on my Facebook status:

Wow, David Bowie died. :erk: I had no idea he was even sick. I wasn't directly a huge Bowie fan, despite having tremendous respect for what he achieved, but his influence to the scores of bands that I am directly influenced by (Duran Duran being a notable one) can't be understated. No Bowie = none of those bands = me not doing what I'm doing now, simple as that. A huge loss. RIP.
    :(