This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anvil in Atlanta Wed Jan 20

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by ratanda, Jan 16, 2010.

1. ratanda

ratanda Member

It's at the Variety Playhouse. Anyone going?

2. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

I was interested in going, but this is going to be a tricky week at work anyway (I'm there only 3 days out of 5 as it is).

We had surprisingly good response for ticket giveaways on WREKage, though. :kickass:

3. DrkLrdViper666

DrkLrdViper666 Frontman/Vocalist/Singer

Man, OMFG what an Incredible & Amazing METAL show last night!!! Lips, Robb & Glenn were all just super cool!!! :) In the middle of the show, Lips said he would come out & shake everyone's hand that came, and sure enough he did, as well as Rob & Glenn!!! They were so Badass!!! I & my gf shari, were in Old Skool Metal Heaven!!!! :headbang: :kickass:

4. drmetal8

drmetal8 Graphic Design

Same experience here in Orlando last night. I was proud of my town, they really came out to support Anvil. Great show and meet & greet afterward!

5. raising_iron

raising_iron Member

Saw 'em in Detroit a couple of weeks ago, 2 local openers, the movie, then an hour and fifteen minute set by Lips and co. It was a great show...see my road report at www.maximummetal.com.

6. DrkLrdViper666

..Oh & here are some cool pics of Lips, G5 & me! :headbang:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 5150

5150 Member

Saw them last night in Houston. And it's about what I expected. No movie, one opening band (Sid 17) and Anvil played for about an hour and twenty minutes with the encore. In true Spiral Tap mode, Lips got the city wrong. Saying, "Hello Austin, TX." Until G5 corrected him. At which point, he showed he could laugh at himself and chalk it up to being "a real person" as seen in the movie.

As for the performance, the selection of songs and performance was about as good as it gets for Anvil. Let's face it, they really aren't that talented, at least in the songwriting department. Most of their lyrics are down right laughably metal cliche (666, Maurtha, Forged In Fire, Jackhammer). But there is something to be said for chasing their dream and enduring. Not to mention, Lips is just such as goofy character in appearance and attitude, it's almost charming. You have to like the guy, clown and all.

His voice is certainly not the best for metal and hasn't improved with age ... even singing out of key at times on the records. During the live performance, his voice was starting to go in the last few songs. His guitar playing, while unremarkable is decent considering the number of years he has been playing. While Robb's drumming and Glenn 5's bass playing skills are a actually quite good. So I would have preferred more rock instruments.

Overall, it was a good evening and the Houston metal community made a good showing. I was pleasantly surprised by the ages of the audience. (a 70 year grandma screaming for her favorate band and even some 20 somethings). One of latter had purchased the vinyl of Anvil's latest and he went on to explain he only purchases vinyl. In fact he has quite a modern collection of new and re-releases on vinyl. I had to laugh at that weird backward trend. But I was glad to see someone of this generation actually purchase the music, regardless of the format. It gave me a little hope.

8. DrkLrdViper666

AND HERE IS why I truly hate posting here!!! Why everytime I talk or praise my Old Skool True Metal Heroes,
    some over-inflated, opinionated A-hole has to go hating on everything I LOVE!!! Why?, Why? just because it's NOT WHAT YOU LIKE or LOVE anymore?!! Huh? I don't know who the HELL you think you are putting down Anvil & the musicians, and the band in general?!!! And to call them un-talented shows a serious lack of integrity on your part!!! Holy shit, these guys have been playing Real Metal since 1977!!!! Can you say that?? I didn't think so! So, yeah Lips isn't the greatest songwriter, but I will defend Anvil & Lips till the day I die!!! Lips, Robb & Glenn, played a flawless set here in Atlanta @ The Variety Playhouse!!! They seriously tore the roof off of that place!!! Opening w/ "March Of The Crabs" in which Lips proceeded to play the whole entire song on the floor w/ the crowd watching & cheering! To the encore of "Jackhammer", they killed It!!!! So take your over-inflated opinion of The True Metal Gods ANVIL, and stick it where the sun don't shine bud!!!
    Oh but wait, you A-holes, always want to have the last word! :kickass::kickass: :kickass:

9. DrkLrdViper666

Oh & btw, if you don't have ANYTHING Good, or Cool, or Nice to say about any GOOD old skool True Metal band, just don't say it @ all!!! Not a lot of people wanna hear your opinionated BS!!!
    Good day sir. :kickass:

10. DemonOfTheWoods

DemonOfTheWoods Your option out of here

Anvil cancelled their Baltimore date for some reason. Anyone have an actual setlist? Did they play anything off of Speed of Sound? Did they play "Flyin' Blind" from This is Thirteen? Did they give any indication as to when Juggernaut of Justice is coming out? Did they play their best song (IMO) Smokin' Green?

Thanks for any info you have!

11. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

Easy, Jimi, I don't think he was trying to be intentionally hateful, just expressing an honest review of the show....

12. DrkLrdViper666

Okay, paul, but bro I get so damn tired of this dude & that dude, saying that, look I know A LOT of my Old Skool True Metal Heroes are old, but by god they CAN STILL ROCK!!!! It just pisses me off, that's all!!! And it's USUALLY ALWAYS just because I like a Great Metal band that just happens to NOT BE Prog!!! Whatever?:rolleyes: I guess my old skool opinion sucks compared to some of the veterans on here!!! Oh & I TRULY LOVE LOTS OF POWER METAL TOO!!!! :headbang:
    Oh & btw, just so EVERYONE knows, my all time fave Prog band is RUSH!!!! And they always have been!!! ANVIL RULES!!! OLD SKOOL TRUE METAL RULES!!!:kickass::headbang:
    Nuff said!

13. DrkLrdViper666

...Oh & incidentally, one of my best old skool friends just called me today & told me that Ozzy was on Howard Stern today, and do you know just what band Ozzy Osbourne, HIMSELF recommended EVERYONE go see live, F'n ANVIL!!!!! :headbang: :kickass:
    Do you like apples? Well what do ya think of those apples?! :lol:
    You Anvil Hater!!!!:heh:

14. 5150

5150 Member

Did I say I "hated" Anvil? I gave a criteria of the show. Notice I said the evening went well, I was proud of the Houston metal crowd that came to the show and I personally had fun at the show. Do I think everything Anvil records is perfect and their shows are a divine impression? Of course not. I stopped such blind hero worship of any band back in high school. Sorry dude, nobody's perfect ... not even Anvil. Besides Lips is so imperfect, it makes his performance all the more endearing. I will admit to never even hearing of Anvil until the documentary. Which I thought did an excellent job of showing the true spirit and dreams of the members while also showing they are real humans with faults. Both Lips and Robb can still laugh about some of those Spinal Tap flaws. It's a tough world out there in music and few survive but these guys held it together for 30 years refusing to surrender. Are they the world's most gifted musicians? Of course not. But once again, it was all the more inspiring to see them continue to struggle against all the odds. And hence the reason I wanted to see them live.

But other than the personal attacks, which were unnecessary, you made many a broad assumption about my musical taste and attitude based on this one post. Like obviously I hated "Old Skool True Metal", whatever that means, and I'm some kind of prog nerd. I like a variety of music including many hard rock and metal bands from the '70's and early '80's. To name just a few that are still kicking around: AC/DC, Krokus, Y&T, Black Sabbath or even better - Heaven & Hell and Dio's various bands, Deep Purple, Dokken, Judas Priest, Queen and Brian May, Thin Lizzy (some members are still playing) Whitesnake (the early stuff is still the best), Queensryche (at least the early albums), Savatage (still around with JoP and TSO), UFO and Michael Schenker, Scorpions, and Triumph (recently reformed).

After reading my original review, maybe I was little harsh and at the very least didn't emphasis the positives. But I certainly wasn't trying to belittle Anvil. They are what they are. You could argue they have stayed true to their music and fans.

15. DrkLrdViper666

Well, I am very sorry for the personal attacks toward you bro! They were VERY unncessary. I also apologize for those. You know my old man used to tell me, "it takes a big man to admit he's wrong" and man was I wrong! :erk:
    Anywho, I get on my proverbial soapbox sometimes, and I get hyper & out of control. I apologize again for flying WAY OFF the handle on you.
    You sound like you've got really good & diverse taste too.:kickass:

16. 7thSaviour

7thSaviour Power Metal Maniac

Glad you had fun, Jimi! Nice pics of you and the band!

17. DrkLrdViper666

Thanks bro! Man, you of all people I thought would've been there, right there w/ me & just Headbanging away!!!!:headbang::kickass: They were pretty badass & very. very freaking cool!!!
    Just check out my previous post on here about the show, and how I first came to hear of them!:headbang:
    Hope to be Headbanging w/ you sometime @ a show my True Metal Brother Of Steel!!!!! :kickass: "Raise The Fist Of The Metal Child!!!!":headbang:

18. ratanda

ratanda Member

Did you have your coffee this morning Jimi? :)