This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Aspect Ratio problem with Evergrey DVD?

Discussion in 'Inside Out Music' started by Snowmaker, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Snowmaker

Snowmaker GO BLUE!!

Apparently the tag in the IFO file on the Evergrey – A Night to Remember DVD (NTSC) is set to 4:3 instead of 16:9 (like stated on the back of the case). This causes the picture to stretch vertically on normal TVs, making everyone tall and skinny and a little difficult to watch.

Will this be corrected?

2. sknight

sknight Are You Morbid?

LI, NY-The center of heavy metal and SUVs
    Yup, same here. The DVD is a strange watch for us in the US. I can't wait for the reviews to start talking about this fact.

3. RockGarden

RockGarden Member

I've got the same problem. It's distracting and definitely takes away from what could have been an outstanding DVD release.

Are there any plans to remedy the situation??

4. Snowmaker

Snowmaker GO BLUE!!

Just wanted to add this here.

5. sknight

sknight Are You Morbid?

We need to start bombarding IO with phone calls and emails. Record companies don't care, so long as people are buying, but then they bitch when people download substandard products.

I say give them some time, then if they don't respond, leak the dvd. Sure, EG won't be too happy, but they most likely don't make very much money off the sales, and this way you can ensure that IO will get the message. I know from my dealings with Rhino and SPV for defects that this is what needs to be done. I bought Archetype's Dawning and all of the cds are defective, so I complained to the band, and surprisingly, I also got a reply from the record company, but it was a stroking message that "we'll get in touch with you...blah blah blah". Meanwhile, I have confirmation that ALL cds are defective, yet the record store that I bought it from, along with the replacement they got for me can't return the album because record companies don't accept defects, nor do they offer credits. Good way to support the base that loyally keeps you in business.

So to repeat, give IO some time, then leak the DVD onto file sharing clients and put in the details of the defect on reviews like on Amazon.

6. MetalAges

MetalAges Captain Spectacular
    Staff Member

Nice solution sknight :rolleyes:

I talked with Jim at InsideOut today and they are aware of the problem and will issue a statement on what will be done to remedy it next week.

On a side note, any one familiar with InsideOut would know I have yet to see them release a defect CD where they didn't make good on it by replacement discs, etc.

I'll post the statement here next week.

7. Snowmaker

Snowmaker GO BLUE!!

:tickled:

Again, thank you!

8. sknight

sknight Are You Morbid?

Thanks Deron.

My feelings about the record industry have much to do with their treatment of the vendors and anyone else who complain about defects. A record company remedying defects is not above and beyond their call, but rare. It also must be noted that someone made the executive decision to let the product through in this form, almost certainly to cut costs.

9. peza

peza Reported Type: INTP

Quality is very important, and most of all, when you buy a product it should be safe to assume it's error free. I hope InsideOut takes it responsability to fix the issue for the NTSC realese asap. Evergrey is worth it.

10. MetalAges

Staff Member

I am a vendor (well was I am closing) and know that come labels will not give the time of day, but also know that there are some very cool labels out there as well. It's like with anything, you have some good guys and some bad guys. Definitely can't blanket everyone under the same umbrella.

On the mistake, you have to remember that a lot of the InsideOut stuff is pressed in Germany and sent over here. It more than likely was a very honest mistake during the PAL > NTSC conversion as some have pointed out.

11. MetalAges

Staff Member

I have no doubt they will, its just a matter of a time frame and what the process will be.

12. sknight

sknight Are You Morbid?

No word yet on the solution?

13. sknight

sknight Are You Morbid?

Well, it's about a month now with no word, as well as no direct word from I/O. I emailed them and got no response, either. So I would be inclined to think that this is going to be forgotten, as most all record companies would do in this position.

The oddity is that I/O did not directly admit to the flaw on their own forum.

14. RockGarden

RockGarden Member

This is sad. I had high hopes that they would care enough about their consumers that it wouldn't be an issue to fix an obviously flawed product. I will most certainly remember this when I am trying to decide whether or not to buy anything else from them. If I have to pay extra to get the import and that's the only way I can be assured of high quality product then in my opinion it's worth it! You would think company reputation vice the almightly dollar would win out......

I hope they acknowledge their error and make amends soon....

15. sknight

sknight Are You Morbid?

All it would take is a simple update, even if the return date is down the road. That's the key to not pissing the consumers off, especially when pretty much every record company out there is grimy. And not directly admitting to the problem here, as well as return of direct emails is not cool.

16. RockGarden

RockGarden Member

Agreed, they really should take care of the people who are putting the money in their pockets. They're probably hoping we'll just forget about it and the problem will eventually go away.

17. MetalAges

Staff Member

Still waiting to hear. When you have thousands of these things out there it takes some extra time to figure out what the final solution to the issue is going to be.

InsideOut USA is waiting for a statement from the German office on how it will be handled. Yes, its taking longerthan anticipated, but it will be resolved guys.

18. MetalAges

Staff Member

Hello, hello, is this thing on? :) I am the webmaster for InsideOut USA and talked with the guys directly. I posted already that its been acknowledged from the label, read post above for update.

19. RockGarden

RockGarden Member

I guess we're just kind of paranoid since there hasn't been any "official" statement released acknowledging the problem. I understand that there are logistic issues that need to be resolved but it's nice to know that we aren't forgotten about. Thanks for the update.

20. Snowmaker

Snowmaker GO BLUE!!

LOL!

Why not just do what every other DVD distributer does with an issue like this? Determine how many units sold, make a fraction of that number in replacement disks, we email in with our shipping address if we want a replacement, you sent a postage-paid envelope for us to send our defective disk in, we send it, and a few weeks later we get the replacement. I've done this with a few different movie DVDs.

When the replacements run out and people are still requesting them, run another batch.

Or just do what Rhino did with the Dream Theater Budokan ones and just send a replacement disk to anyone and their brother who ask for one, whether they originally bought it or not. I even accidentally got two replacements because I had emailed in asking about the status of my first replacement.