This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Backing up a single folder on OSX?

Discussion in 'Bar' started by AdamWathan, Sep 5, 2011.

1. AdamWathan

AdamWathan Member

What's the easiest way to backup a single folder on OSX without having to overwrite the entire contents of the folder every time? Anything out there that only replaces files that have changed and adds any new files? Hate waiting for the whole backup.

2. dale_a_smith

dale_a_smith Member

I thought time machine only backed up files that had altered / moved / deleted or whatever?

3. dale_a_smith

dale_a_smith Member

Carbon copy cloner seems to be pretty flexible with incremental backups.

Its donation ware, so you could try it for free if Time Machine isn't working for you.

4. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

Yeah you can setup folders in time machine. But I'm guessing this is a backup onto a different drive than your time machine drive?

I'm usually ok with just backing up the whole thing by over writting it, but I imagine larger projects would be crappy in that reguard.

5. mva801

mva801 Member

Get synchronize x plus. I use it many times daily. It's only like 30 bucks. It does precisely what you want. You just make a folder on your backup drive, select the one to sync it with, and it reads both folders and copies only what is missing. It also deletes old files from the backup that aren't on the master. I LOVE it.

I make every band I work with get two hard drives, and I use this a couple times a day. With it I can keep 80 gig folders backed up in no time just by doing it twice a day. Much easier to back up 1-2 gigs at a time than having to transfer huge folders of 12 songs to a backup all the time.

I think it works for pc too. Everyone on here should have this damn thing...

http://www.qdea.com/synchronize_x_plus_intro.html

6. C_F_H_13

C_F_H_13 Protools Guru

+1 for sure. I used synchronize for years, and now I use retrospect. http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/smb-solutions/default.html

Its really easy and well worth the money.