This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bad to remove all strings from a guitar at once? (HEY WILL)

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Nebulous, Mar 21, 2010.

1. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Truss rod just keeps the neck straight, period. It works by counteracting string tension, but yeah... it's not gonna cause warpage unless you really leave it without strings.

To the dudes saying you only change strings one at a time... how dirty is your fretboard???

2. abt

abt BT

Try it. I have and I'm not going back. Although I admit that it is hard to tell because of different instruments, but it seems to me like to intonation and action are rock solid and never change when you change string this way. Just think how sensitive the neck is, all you have to do is posh on the back of the headstock a little bit and is bends. That force is nothing compared to what all the strings are.

Like I said, it is no extra effort so why risk it. I'd be very surprised if any of you would be getting rid of a 20+ yr old Les Paul when it feels and plays as good as the day you got it.

3. abt

abt BT

Not dirty at all. You clean it just the same way. I use a piece of old t-shirt and a little lemon oil. You don't want to use too much lemon oil.

4. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

I've never noticed a change in intonation or tuning stability when removing all the strings.

How the hell do you lemon oil the entire fretboard with strings on it, and how do you polish the frets?? The strings HAVE to all be off to do that.

5. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Speaking of polishing frets, mine could use that. What is the best way/ product for that?

6. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

#0000 steel wool, for sure.

7. Keregioz

Keregioz Kimon Zeliotis

I'm also a bit concerned about this, but like some of you said you can't clean the fretboard properly without removing all the strings. However, you don't have to clean the fretnoard every time you change strings. I always change one string at a time and remove them all at once only every few months to do some cleaning.