This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Beer

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by King Richard, Jan 25, 2008.

1. MasterOLightning

MasterOLightning Optimator

Glad to see this get bumped.

I've got my reviews posted here. http://beeradvocate.com/user/beer_reviews?ba=ommegoose

Did a few tonight when I picked up crappy cans of Euro macros. The one wasn't too bad. I was just bored and reviewing to have something to do.

Recently I really liked Allagash Interlude. Expensive but amazingly complex and delicious. Had a St. Bernardus Abt 12 the other day, which is a sure winner as well, but again, maybe more expensive than it's worth.

@Cythraul: Try the Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen if you haven't yet. It's my favorite Hefeweizen so far, although I've only had a sip or two of the Ayinger one.

2. Cythraul

Cythraul Active Member

That one is actually next on my list. I've heard great things about it. I've had their Kristallweizen but it didn't do much for me (I'm not really a big fan of Kristallweizen in general anyway).

3. Kasz

Kasz the one and only...

red wine is pretty cool

4. Carcassian

Carcassian Utopian Blaster

I have recently had to stop drinking Guiness. I don't know if it is even more evidence of my advancing years, but after a night on the black stuff I am now experiencing excrutiating headachey hangovers and extremely sloppy shits. I have always had the runs after a good beer session, but this now leads to dry retching of the anus. Why this is, I dont know.

However, heed this advice: never drink Guiness and eat peanuts.

The next day you'll be giving birth to a barbed-wire baby.

5. Cold Gin

Cold Gin Member

This is a great Weißbier indeed, one of the best, but not very well known. You can not go wrong with the popular ones Franziskaner or Erdinger either.

Generally I prefer bottom-fermented beer, Helles, Lager (Pils), Export. There are so many good ones, hard to say which is best. Living in Munich area I can say Augustiner is good, Löwenbräu is terrible. Many inbewteen.

I also find "beer-drinking-culture" interesting. For example, in the US you don´t only chill the beer, but also the glasses, they are sometimes frosted. The US beer is not that bad that you need to kill the flavor by chilling :p . In Japan you get small glasses and share the bottles beteen everybody. You only pour for the others, not for yourself. Nice tradition. For non-Germans/ Bavarians the beerhall / beergarten / 1L stein tradition is unique. Whereby: only the tourists order the 1L steins, locals order 1/2 litre.
    :kickass::kickass::kickass:

6. cookiecutter

cookiecutter Proceed to Ultraslamming

Hmm, I've never heard of frosting the glasses, but I've never been in a bar in the US

7. ThisIsACoolName

I've seen it done a few times.

8. genocide roach

genocide roach DOOOOOOOOOOM

i'll have to check that out. i like a good, non fruity, weiss beer
    ~gR~

9. MasterOLightning

I'll ask for non-frosted glasses at places that I know serve beer like that. It's irritating, especially as beer from the tap is already colder than I prefer, and I usually have to wait for it to warm for a few minutes. The frosted glass thing is more common at trendy bars or sports bars. Good beer bars know better, and dives don't bother.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

I actually don't mind the frosted glasses. I've only been to a couple places that do that though.

11. Belligerent

Belligerent Greekus Urungus

Frosted glasses make your beer taste so much better. I have a variety of pint glasses (which I stole from the local bar hehe) that are in my freezer at all times. Nothing like a frosty Hoegaarten!

12. genocide roach

yeah, i usually see it at sports bars, where they serve shite beer anyways
    ~gR~

13. Belligerent

There are a few sports bars that serve Sam Adams, Blue Moon, or Amstel but yeah, majority of them serve shit Miller Lite etc.

14. genocide roach

blue moon is boring. very little flavor, and no after taste
    ~gR~

15. Belligerent

It's not my favorite wheat beer, Hoegaarten is, but I'll take it over any terrible Miller product anyday. At least it packs a punch.

16. MasterOLightning

You should at least be able to spell the name of your favorite beer correctly.

Frosted glasses are terrible, and anyone who knows anything about beer will tell you the same.

17. Belligerent

Okay...how does making your beer COLDER a bad thing?

18. MasterOLightning

Colder beer is absolutely a bad thing. Colder beer dulls your taste buds, preventing you from tasting the beer, which is a problem when you are drinking good beer. Colder beer is also less fragrant, again, something to avoid with quality beer.

You've been brainwashed by too many Coors commercials. Cold beer just masks bad flavors and aromas.

19. Cythraul

Cythraul Active Member

A couple beers I've been sipping on tonight:

Tap Room No. 21 Moe's Backroom Lager - I saw this at the supermarket tonight and had never heard of it before so I decided to make a blind purchase and get it. Very, very disappointing. This stuff is extremely bland. No flavor, no character at all. Definitely not bad by bmc standards but just not good at all by any higher standard. Not recommended at all.

New Belgium 1554 Black Ale - I quite like this stuff. I love the slight chocolately flavor and creaminess of this one. I don't know how well this emulates Belgian style beers since I've never had a Belgian beer but I can say that I'll definitely be picking up more of this in the future.

20. Cythraul

Cythraul Active Member

I wish I could appreciate the aroma of a good beer but I have a terrible sense of smell. I think my cigarette smoking has ruined it. I always wonder what possibilities of taste and smell would await me if I were to quit smoking (which I should do very soon).