This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best Black Sabbath vocalist/era?

Discussion in 'Old School Metal Discussion' started by Vera Gemini, Feb 18, 2013.

1. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Member

"Heaven and Hell" is to my ears the greatest metal record of all time. Dio was a giant, a god amongst men with no equal.

With that said, nothing compares to the first six Sabbath albums. (Ok, the first six Zeppelin albums are fractionally better!) So I have to go with Ozzy here.....those albums wrote and define this entire genre of music. :worship:

2. DarkGuitarLord

Hands down it's Dio for me. I appreciate Ozzy's work but RJD fronted Sabbath simply created better music.

3. M-KD2

M-KD2 New Metal Member

Best Sabbath vocalist was everyone apart from Ozzy.

Best Sabbath era was everything up to Tyr in 1990.

4. Bryant

Bryant Mr. Sleepy

I mean no disrespect to you my brother, but one of the reasons I put Martin up there with the late, great RJD is simply the passion he put in his vocals. In the studio, Tony sang with as much passion as......... well anyone I can think of, but everyone has different opinions.

Bryant

5. Bryant

Bryant Mr. Sleepy

I am actually torn between H&H and TMR. I think H&H has a little more "memorable" songs, but for a reason I can't explain, I really dislike "Wishing Well" and I skip it. I don't skip a song on TMR though.

Bryant

6. Wyvern

Wyvern Master of Disaster
    Staff Member

WHAT?????????

Wait until September, the fury of the dragon will fall upon yer rear :lol:

7. Bryant

Bryant Mr. Sleepy

Ha ha ha.....:loco: sorry, but that song sucks. It is rare for me not to find something good in something Ronnie did, but there isn't anything I like about that song.

Bryant

8. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Member

In my view, Wishing Well is among the ten-fifteen greatest songs Dio's even been associated with. It's a magical track and I'm still shocked by the indifference and/or derision most feel towards it.

:kickass:

9. Jonnymetal

Jonnymetal New Metal Member

Couldn't agree more with the above post, Love Dio-era Sabbath, almost as much as the stuff with Ozzy. Will always love the first 8 albums the most naturally but Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules are absolute magic! Big Dio and Ozzy fan, got to meet Dio just before he died. Great to see Sabbath back on top of the rock/metal world! New album kills \m/

10. Marco Spain

Marco Spain Member

I love "Wishing well". That song got only a problem. It´s on the album before "Die Young". IMO the best Black Sabbath song ever besides "The headless cross" and "Children of the sea"

In my rating of eras:

DIO > MARTIN > OZZY

In vocalists:

DIO > MARTIN > HUGHES (outside "Seventh star" he´s number one ever in rock) > GILLAN >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OZZY

For me, Black Sabbath released only one weak album: "Forbidden". But talking about Martin he got a lot of good or excellent records outside Black Sabbath:

Giuntine Project: All of them! ("I", "III", IV")
    Misha Calvin: "Evolution"
    The Cage (with Italian Dario Mollo): "The cage2"
    Bobby rondinelli: "Our cross our sins"
    Solo album: "Scream" :headbang::headbang:

An overwhelming career I consider

11. Wyvern

Staff Member

Actually the problem comes afterwards to dig the last two songs of the album (which I do nevertheless). The duet of 'Wishing Well' and 'Die Young' simply destroys me :worship:

12. Tominous85

Tominous85 New Metal Member

I was discussing this last night with a mate. I prefer Dio's voice in the grand scheme of things, but Ozzy is better suited to Sabbath than RJD.

13. Rumy73

Rumy73 Member

The Tony Martin era is typically overlooked. The writing and performances are compelling.I understand that Tony Iommi wanted those recordings to be solo albums. Try getting ahold of those cds. They are out of print, I believe.

14. Wyvern

Staff Member

Actually I think Tony wanted "Seventh Star" to be a solo album. After the label pressure him on using the Black Sabbath moniker and precipitating the exit of Geezer, I believe Tony decided to carry on with the name and the new singer (Martin). Sadly being signed to I.R.S. Records at the time, makes now impossible to get the albums (except "The Eternal Idol") with Martin.

I was lucky to bought them at the release time, otherwise I'll be very frustrated.

15. mdmatt4ever

mdmatt4ever Member

i actually got headless cross and cross purposes on cd sometime after the year 2000 but it must have been right before they went out of print

16. JackSetToRise

JackSetToRise Bassist for Set To Rise

There is no argument that Dio was the more talented vocalist, but the first Sabbath record was just amazing and has influenced music is such a huge way!

17. Bryant

Bryant Mr. Sleepy

As I have said before, I prefer Dio over Martin because he was better live and just more consistent as far as quality songs. As far as a pure vocalist in the studio, Ronnie and Tony were pretty much neck and neck though.

Bryant

18. EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY

EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY I hate wiener dogs. Dreadful creatures.

19. Bathoryswans

Bathoryswans Member

Dio was a better singer than Ozzy in terms of talent no doubt but Ozzy was better for Sabbath. I like all 3 (or 4) of the Dio albums but they aren't as unique or interesting as the Ozzy era stuff they were more standard metal. Amazing albums yes but lets be honest they weren't revolutionary. I liked how in the Ozzy era the way the songs stood apart from each other and each album felt like more than just a collection of songs. In comparison the Dio era was generic even if still excellent. Its all a matter of taste but I think most metal heads are too quick to kiss Dios ass may his soul rest in piece. Seriously fanboyism in general pisses me off even if its for someone I highly respect like Ronnie. That said Dio era didn't have an issue with pointless filler cough FX cough.

Just remember Iommi is the embodiment of all that is heavy metal and is the heart and soul of Sabbath. Which ever singer you may prefer he is above all.