This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best book to better my mixing skills?

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by Damian B, Feb 10, 2010.

1. IronApe

IronApe Member

It took 20 posts before this book was mentioned...
    Shame on the Sneapsters!!! :D:D

Anyway, +1 to "Systematic Mixing Guide" and to Izhaki's "Mixing Audio", other great books are Stavrou's "Mixing With Your Mind" and Owsinski's "Mixing Engineer's Handbook".

2. blue_fAng

blue_fAng Member

Most of those posts are from 2010 and systematic mixing guide came out this year.
    I've never read a book related to audio but it's definitely something that I will do in the future :)

3. decoy205

decoy205 STUCK IN HELL

Here's a really good book Ive been reading and mostly finished

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Secrets-Small-Studio-Senior/dp/0240815807/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_2_dp[/ame]

4. mharwood

mharwood Member

I'll throw in another recommendation for Mike Senior's "Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio." Really helped me to start understanding what I was hearing and why.

5. Colin Davis

Colin Davis New Metal Member

My opinion is that the best thing anyone can do to increase their skills is to get high end monitors (no sub if they are big enough) and modify their room. When you can actually hear what your mix is, then you can make is perfect. If you are mixing on Event or KRK speakers or something, you cant improve. Mackie 824, probably minimum quality level. Genelec and up is best.

I know this thread is about books though...sorry. :)

Colin

6. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Damn, someone best tell Randy Staub his career prospects are shot due to those KRKs.... mine too apparently :(

7. DavePiatek

DavePiatek Member

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Listening-Skills-Audio-Professionals/dp/1598630237/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338260465&sr=8-1[/ame]

This book is AMAZING. Though not necessarily about mixing, it will definitely make discerning what you're hearing at mix time easier, and therefore make your mixes better. This is assuming you know how to use compressors, eqs, etc.

8. xTomx

xTomx Member

I think he's talking in reference to Rokits which are probably KRK's best selling.

9. domingooo

domingooo Member

hi, sorry for hijacking this threat, could anyone advice me a book about guitar amplifiers?
    i want to learn about types, construction, relatios ( slo100 -> 5150 )

All that stuff,

Any book or web or threat coul be great (i 've already read the 5150 5152 5153 and recto comparision threat)

Thanks guys!

10. UncleBob

UncleBob Member

Relatio:

A relationship that is based on physical pleasuring (for the guy), convenience (for the guy) and the female's misapprehension that the more she pleases her would-be fella, the more likely he is to like her. It never works out this way. By the time lock-jaw has settled in for the 30th time, the lass is starting to realize she never sees her man a. in daylight b. sober and c. from the belly-button up.

Mixermans' "Zen & The Art of Mixing" is worth reading as well.

11. Aiden Macleod

Aiden Macleod New Metal Member

The absolute best book you can buy is called "The Mixing Engineers Handbook" by Bobby Owsinski. If you don't become a better mixer even after reading 1-chapter of this book, you will never be a Mixer. I have learned so much with this text. It even has quotes from famous Mixing Engineers taken in context with the subject at hand, and is not merely used for filler. Check it out!

12. Lost Tribes of Cheekowara

Lost Tribes of Cheekowara Every moment is a gift.

Absolutely true! That book is fantastic. Also something that will help tremendously is listening music in your mixing environment and on your mixing rig.

Damir

13. jhohnerleinaudio

jhohnerleinaudio New Metal Member

Three Dimensional Mixing by Kendal Osborne is fantastic.