This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Better know an Artist: IHSAHN

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Palabra de Dios, Apr 13, 2011.

1. skyrefuge

skyrefuge Member

Will do! :D Saw 'em twice, and not at any of those goofy reunion $100 ticket cash-in shows either, since I'm not a big fat poseur. I saw 'em LAST CENTURY, man. Milwaukee Metalfest in 1998 and headining in 1999 (with Borknagar, Peccatum, and Witchery, mind you!)

Yeah, and I'm the one you would want to kill, since I thought they were pretty crappy both times I saw them. Sorry! Half because of shitty sound in shitty venues, and half because I'm just not that big of an Emperor fan.

The replacement of Arcturus with Ihsahn is quite illustrative for me, because while both bands are basically from the same sub-sub-sub-genre (post-black prog metal) and seem to have a strong fan crossover, I personally like Arcturus about 1000 times more than Ihsahn. Whether in Emperor or elsewhere, Ihsahn's writing and melodies have always just rubbed me the wrong way; his musical DNA just totally clashes with mine. Everything he writes is very sharp and angular and off-putting, while everything Sverd writes, even in its weirdness, is somehow warm and round and enveloping. In terms of scratching my itch, the two acts couldn't be more different.

Neil

2. NVARAS

NVARAS Member

Thanks for this post!!! I loved the track form the last CD. In general, I think it will be easier for people to get into this than Arcturus. I bought a couple of cd's at PP, but couldn't get into them.

3. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

Oh yeah man...totally awesome old school death metal.

4. Orion Crystal Ice

Orion Crystal Ice Rider of the Astral Fire

yeah, I think 'After' is the coolest thing he's done, but I'm huge on prog, progressive music (not just metal), everything related to any of that..

If there is any Emperor in the set, I'm hoping for 'The Loss and Curse of Reverance' or 'I am the Black Wizards'. I certainly understand if there isn't though, both his reasoning and why fans wouldn't want it. There are countless 'extreme' fests and tours over here in the U.S., classic/melodic/power is something of a dirty word in a lot of circles, so PP is necessary in it's own form for the most part.

5. modernwizardry

modernwizardry I want stout!

I've never heard Emperor or this solo project. From the little I've heard on this page I am intrigued.

6. GameFreac

GameFreac The Derminator

Emperor is my favorite black metal band but I couldn't get into Ihsahn's first 2 solo albums at all. I almost wrote him off until After came out. It was one of my albums of the year, so everyone should start with that album if you're new to him.

7. Corsair

Corsair Member

#27 Corsair, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  8. edgeofthorns

edgeofthorns 24 Hours Ago...

I'm completely new to Ihsahn, because I'm not into the black metal stuff at all. With that said, I've listened to some of his first solo album and I'm still on the fence about him. I do find it interesting though and admit to him being talented. At times, his first solo album has a King Diamond vibe to it, for me anyway. Has anyone else ever gotten that out of him or am I completely crazy?

~Brian~

9. BenMech

BenMech student of the d'eh

You ARE completely crazy, but that doesn't make you wrong ;)

Ihsahn has had a king Diamond/Rob Halford clean vocal thing going since 1999's IX Aequilibrium

10. raising_iron

raising_iron Member

His first solo album was a strong carry over of what was going on with Emperor circa their last album Prometheus...check out his latest solo album After or even the 2nd one Angl to get a better idea of what his solo stuff is really like...

11. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

At first I thought you were crazy; however, I thought about it more and I can see it when it comes to comparing Ihsahn to Diamond's lower - mid registers. Musically I don't see any similarity though.

12. Corsair

Corsair Member

No, I hear a little bit of MF/KD influence in a few songs, too; Called by the Fire stands out:

And yeah all the songs that have that vibe are on the Adversary, so you're not completely crazy, unless we're both the same kind of crazy.

#32 Corsair, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  13. Kimavir

Kimavir Metal Hippy

Does anyone know if he has been playing any Peccatum tracks?

14. caex

caex Member

Yes, that is quite King Diamondish.

15. Palabra de Dios

Not to my knowledge. He hasn't done too many shows as "Ihsahn" and only at a handful of them has he even played an Emperor song or two.

16. Pate

Pate Member

Can Glenn or somebody give a definite pronunciation of Ihsahn? I've seen anything from "Ih-sawn" to "Eee-Sharn".

17. BenMech

BenMech student of the d'eh

"EEE Ecky-thump" ;)

His real name is Vegard Tvietan. Stick with that :)

18. Palabra de Dios

Ihsahn - (AWW-summ)