This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Black Metal.

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by ROBL2500, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Hellhounds On My Trail

I know and you are very right but I don't think there is a possible way to purchase the original demos anyway.

2. UltimateApathy

UltimateApathy Infinite Idiocy

Fuckin' amazing:

#25722 UltimateApathy, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  3. Krow

Krow Garbage Connoisseur

Eh.

So CF, I bought Kentucky by panopticon a few days ago. I seem to remember you liking it and me hating it, we shall see if that opinion changes.

4. Funerary_Doom

Funerary_Doom My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Kentucky is awesome! It took awhile to grow on me, tbh, but it's really a well done album.

5. dwellerINTHEdark

dwellerINTHEdark Curator of the mausoleum

Panopticon has a split with Skagos that is certainly worth looking into. I have Kentucky around here somewhere but it's been a while since I heard it. Always good to have bluegrass-infused black metal, however.

6. Mort Divine

Mort Divine Shrine Maiden of the In-Crowd

It'd help if the bluegrass was actually mixed into the BM though, from what I remember is really half-assed black metal and some bluegrass sections. Nothing actually combined.

7. dwellerINTHEdark

Alright I just listened to it again. It is very stingy on the mix of bluegrass and metal, but it does happen occasionally. The clean-sung shorter tracks are actually interesting and haunting. The black metal portions are executed competently enough in an atmospheric way. And the narratives from the interviews enhance the experience imo. All in all a solid release altogether.

8. dwellerINTHEdark

What's up with Altar of Plagues? I was just listening to 'White Tomb' (which is excellent) and I remembered how I thought their follow-up 'Mammal' was quite different. I thought the vocal delivery was a little rougher and I only listened to it once of twice. Their latest album (which I think is their last right?) is again going in a different direction. I haven't heard it yet, but it seems that people either love it or hate it. Kind of a chameleon of a band. Is the new one worth looking into?

9. Mulver

Mulver Member

I think they broke up. Probably the members were going into different directions, considering the changing nature of their albums.

10. crimsonfloyd

crimsonfloyd Active Member

I guess it's worth looking into if some people loved it, but I thought it was a poor record with underdeveloped songwriting.

11. crimsonfloyd

I think that record is excellent. And I actually think the stark contrasts between the black metal and bluegrass is what makes the record. It creates a contrast between the themes of the humanity of community and inhumanity of the capitalist machine.

12. dwellerINTHEdark

^ how are Panopticon's other releases? Besides the split with Skagos I haven't really heard much. Kind of urban sounding black metal I assume?

13. Master_Yoda77

Master_Yoda77 True Doom

I haven't heard a whole lot of Panopticon, but I always assumed their music would be exactly what Mort described. Like some garbage mixture of "hipster-ish" black metal and random blue grass moments. I think I'll just get drunk at Austin Lunn's brewery Hammerheart instead.

14. dwellerINTHEdark

^ I had no idea that brewery existed. It sounds awesome, especially 'Thor's Imperial Porter': Named after the peoples god, the Mighty Thor. This Porter is high ABV, full of robust smoked malts and chocolate notes while remaining balanced and hoppy. Finishes with the bite of Habanero and Chipotle Peppers. 9.5% ABV.

It has all the ingredients one can hope for in a brew. Black metal and beer is an excellent combo.

15. Eligos

Eligos Problem Yet to be Solved

Come hang out with me at TRVE out here, bro. They've bottled 2/4 of their Absu themed beers and so far they are both killer.

16. Funerary_Doom

Funerary_Doom My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Anybody listened to Children of Maani (side project of Vindsval from Blut Aus Nord) album Veil of Osiris? I just randomly put it on and it's really incredible. It has a really nice touch of Ultima Thulee to it.

17. crimsonfloyd

I like all of his full lengths though I consider Kentucky the best.

If the stark contrasts of Kentucky bugged you check out Social Disservices. It's much more cohesive in sound, with less folk passages and those that are present integrated. It's fairly urban and depressive. It explores the destruction of children's humanity through the social service system. Very different sounding than Kentucky.

The self-titled is solid and fairly traditional save the bluegrass passages.

All the leaks of Collapse I've found have this awful buzz on them that make the record almost unlistenable. Unfortunately I've never found a physical copy of the record, so this one I really don't know as well, but hypothetically if that buzz wasn't there it would be a very good record.

18. dwellerINTHEdark

^ thanks for the run-down. I actually like the contrast in 'Kentucky', but do feel that if the bluegrass and black metal were going on simultaneously it would be pretty sweet. I just put an order for 'Collapse' through Pagan Flames, hopefully that buzz is only an artifact on the rips that are circulating. If 'Collapse' is solid I'll be sure to check out 'Social Disservices', cool concept.

Man, that looks like a sick brewing company. One day I'll be heading out there for sure:kickass:

19. crimsonfloyd

Yeah let me know what the sound quality is like on your copy of Collapse.

20. Cesaro

Cesaro New Metal Member

Found my way back to this recently.

#25740 Cesaro, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015