This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Cable question

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Studdy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Studdy

Studdy Member

I need to make some speaker cables for a friends bar. 2 mains 2 subs . Need cables for them. He asked if its possible to use electric wire cause he has some. I instantly said no cant do that, but really couldn't explain why, and I got wondering if it actually does matter that much. What would be the major downsides to using thick gauge electric cord. Say a commercial appliance cord or a heavy duty extension cord? I have a basic understanding of cables but always just bought the proper cables and never put much thought into it. Any insight on the downsides if there is any. Obviously the advantage is we have connectors/ends already so it would be cheap to do. Cheers guys

2. ForHerDeadEyes

ForHerDeadEyes Señor Member

The cable is probably not shielded and so it can pick up interference.

3. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

I'm pretty sure Jeff said he uses extension cords for long runs from head to cab without any problem.

4. nezvers

nezvers Beast

From what I've heard is that you can't use regular instrument cable because they aren't built to handle that big wattage.

5. Studdy

Studdy Member

Taken from Google;

- The main difference between the construction of an instrument cable or a speaker cable is that an instrument cable is shielded, whereas a speaker cable is not. This is due to each cable's purpose and function.

6. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

Yeah you can use mains cable no problem. I actually take all those useless European plugs I get with amps etc and make speaker cables with them.

7. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

You can definitely use electrical wire but it needs to be stranded and not solid or you're going to have a bad time. For speaker I'd never use less than 16ga but if you're planning on keeping it for a long time you may as well spring for 12ga.

8. Studdy

Studdy Member

Do extra conductor wires (grounds etc.) have a negative affect? Went with purchased cables, but still curious about this for the future or perhaps extras like stage monitors etc. Cheers guys