This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Composers

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Kenneth R., Nov 8, 2013.

1. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

Lest this forum stagnate...

Who is your favorite composer and piece? Classicists welcome of course, but also I'll include the possibility of modern composers and orchestral arrangers for film.

Best one. What is it? Yes, of all time.

2. metalxmetalx

metalxmetalx Member

Tough question, bloke! I have three favourites: Beethoven, Bach and Villa-Lobos. I think Beethoven has become my favourite since I read his biography and found him to be as interesting as his work. As to the favourite piece, well, that’s an even tougher question. One piece that I really like is Bethoven’s Concerto for piano and Orchestra No. 5.

3. Baroque

Baroque Active Member

Bach.

Bach is my favorite of all time. Just brilliant. Bless his deservedly immortal soul. His music possesses complexity beyond our imagination, and certainly beyond all of our capabilities to compose.

Down below Bach's pedestal lies a few great composers in the 2nd tier: Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi, Locatelli

3rd tier but still quite good: Palestrina, Mozart, Smetana, Schubert, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Dvorak...

4th tier: Brahms, Grieg, Strauss, Handel, Liszt, Haydn, Debussy...

Favorite piece? I don't know. I'm partial to many. I suppose it is always a joy to hear Bach's "Little" Fugue. But any of his lute suites, cello suites, concertos for harpsichord... Musical Offering... Art of the Fugue... Chaconne.. they are all beautiful, complex, and amazing.

4. Phanto

Phanto Alalalalalalalala.

Bach.

However, my favorite classical suite is The Planets by Holst.

As for more modern composers...
    Ennio Morricone, Basil Pouledaris... I like Howard Shore's LOTR soundtrack, too.

Toru Takemitsu made the best movie song of all time. The most nostalgic piece of music I know. Gets me teary-eyed almost every time:

Japan has tons of great "entertainment media" composers. Not just movies, but also games.

#4 Phanto, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  5. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

I have no authority in classical music.

Did you guys notice that Finlandia has an amazing beginning to it, but the middle part is just shit?

6. Progbass

Progbass Member

Hmm not sure what you mean..I dont find any shitty parts in Finlandia, its good all the way to the finish.

7. Progbass

Progbass Member

As for composers...along with Bach, Beethoven, Chopin...I've always liked Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Holst, Ravel, Debussy, Rimsky and Scriabin.
    And from movie composers, Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Alan silvesti, Bernard Herrmann, Howard Shore.
    Cant name one single piece what is my favorite..

8. Durakonis

Durakonis Zudviz

I admire Bach's style and genius most. Yet, I like Beethoven's symphonies most, and my favourite melody resides in Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. I also like John Williams and Basil Poledouris, as modern composers a lot.

9. rpgmusiccomposer

Who is my favorite composer? Myself of course <(^_^<). My favorite piece that i wrote?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzFTz1Z-X1o
    my favorite old-time composers are probably chopin, liszt, beethoven. for modern day i like nobuo uematsu (Final Fantasy series) Koji Kondo (Zelda, Mario), Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana) and John Williams.

The best composer? hmm...well that depends. Who i like the most? Nobuo Uematsu. Who i think is the best? ME.

10. Krondor

Krondor Member

+1 for SoM soundtrack (Hiroki Kikuta) and Uematsu <3

11. uhhhhmmmm4

uhhhhmmmm4 Jesus Machine

This is my first post, so i thought I try and win the respect of you regular forumites. ;)

Uhhh... favorite composer? I don't think I really have a "favorite." Obviously Bach is one of them. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Telemann. Quantz, Mozart, Beethoven, Grieg, and Vivaldi are also up there.

12. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

welcome and stuff.

13. Frosties

Frosties Blind @ heart

Ólafur Arnalds.