This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Hey, guys!

We've had a lot of people asking questions about computers (hardware / software / etc.) so here's a thread dedicated to your questions and hopefully you'll get some answers from some of the clever people on the forum here. :)

2. -Kalmah-

-Kalmah- Salon Korpiklaani

Yay for this thread! I could've made use of it yesterday. Fortunately that problem is solved. But I'm ssure I'll be needing it again. :p

Anyway, I have a question about cleaning a pc. Is it safe to clean the dust out yourself (as I've been doing) or am I better off taking it to a shop to have it done?

3. Lord Tim

For the motherboard and all of that, just use a feather duster or even a vacuum cleaner (if you're careful!) and you'll be fine.

For the power supply, be VERY careful if you choose to clean that. Do NOT open it though.

Of course, make sure the computer is either unplugged or switched off at the wall because even though it may be powered down, there's still power running through the motherboard.

4. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

Ok, Ill need help in a few months to build a sweet recording/game playing system, with lots of RAM and shit.

Just to forewarn whoever :p

5. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

What's the best, or better, brands to look for when it comes to external hard drives of around 300gb?

6. Lord Tim

They're all much the same and EVERY brand can fail (I've lost an equal number of Seagates, WDs and Maxtors. Haven't lost a Fujitsu yet but it's about the same).

For some reason I tend to end up with more Seagates for some reason. Cheap, do the job and just as reliable as anything else I've used.

James - be careful with a combined gaming / audio machine. You can run into all kinds of issues trying to balance a good glitch-free audio machine with a high-powered graphics heavy gaming machine. Each thing will try to be king and something will come off second best, usually the audio side of things.

7. -Kalmah-

Oh, I always unplug everything first. A vacuum cleaner? I heard using one was bad because it can produce static electricity that may cause damage.

8. flip`

flip` Your mother was a hamster

I don't think a feather duster is a good idea due to the static? :erk:

9. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

Hhaha, damn...

Thanks for the heads up though.
    How easy is it to run like, two different computers in the one, such as, having all the files between the two, but choosing weather to have the audio on one part, and gaming on another, so they don't clash?

possibly like two different accounts or something.

10. Lord Tim

OK, feather duster is probably a bad term for what I meant! :err:

I meant more of a generic dusting type device, not necessarily something that would create static like that would. Having said that, if you ground yourself while you do it (ie: hang on to the metal casing of the computer) you should be FAIRLY safe even using something that would give off a static charge.

11. Lord Tim

It's more so that a high-powered video card will try to steal bus cycles away from your audio card when it's running at low latency. You can download a PCI latency tool (which also works with AGP cards) to counter that to a point and it *can* have a good affect or none.

12. flip`

flip` Your mother was a hamster

13. -Kalmah-

14. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

LT, when you say you lost them, do you mean they died on you? If so, what was their average life span?

Have you lost everything that was on them because of that?

15. Lord Tim

I've lost drives that have just refused to spin up, or they've suddenly started to get read/write errors, or clicks or whatever. Some just don't show up anymore (dead controller).

In some cases, you can use data recovery tools to get stuff back (usually VERY slowly over the course of a few days, and then you're lucky if all of the sectors copy OK). If the controller goes, usually you're pretty fucked unless you know someone who is good with changing parts of drives over to one another.

There's no real time that these drives fail. I had a 20 gig drive which was going great for like 4 or 5 years that suddenly stopped, and then a drive I bought like a week before it died (ironically) that lasted 2 weeks.

And yes, the data on these drives has been lost completely in some cases. Thankfully I make backups regularly. Yay for paranoia! :erk:

16. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

Also remember its not just an ask LT thread, the man has an album, dvd and lord stuff to do too.

17. demented_broomstick

My cd burner wont work i.e. doesn't recognise that there is a cd in there, is there anything I can do to fix it?

Also - when the fan in your computer starts to stop and start, is there anything to do besides getting a new fan?

I opened it up and got as much dust as I could out, and it helped a bit, but its still fucked.

18. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

CD - Burner, get a new one DVD burners are around 30-40 bucks now.

Fan - Could be the power cable that powers the fan is not in there 100%, check that it is secure when the pc is off of course at the mains of course if that is not it, I have no further ideas.

19. MeKaChrOme

Ok here's a weird issue I've been having.. Basically the comp decides to restart itself every say 6 or 7 hours..... Leave it on overnight, it restarts during the night. Leave it when I go to work, it'll restart when I"m away. It never actually restarts when I'm around, either.. And it's not restarting at any specific time.. i've got nothing scheduled to make it restart either. I thought it could be over-heating, but that doesn't make too much sense as it's restarting when the computer is basically doing nothing. Virus and adware scans clean. Does this sound familiar to anyone?? I don't want to have to go through the painstaking task of disabling software 1 by 1, and then switching hardware devices 1 by 1... Help!?

20. Lord Tim

OK, right-click My Computer and go to Properties

Go to Advanced (tab)

In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings

Untick Automatically Restart

OK out of the windows

You'll probably find you'll have a BSOD instead, and that'll give you a clue as to what it is that's making your machine restart. :)