This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

was this port the worst idea in computer history? bear in mind this was released in 1992 - the same year the rest of us paid a ludicrous price of about $120 to get our SNES SFII versions a couple of months early from the US....

#2481 maiL huma, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  2. Bucko

Bucko Member

I put this in the Stupid Questions thread as well " how fast is ADLS 2 meant to run .... is this good 1.1 Mbps I test it and varies now 646 Kbps , my kids said it was running at about 330Kbps this arvo and were having some issues with each other lol ...

3. Cooee

Cooee Member

Trying to tell you how fast your adsl2 connection should be is a little bit hard to tell. You can have a look at this chart (http://www.internode.on.net/residential/adsl_broadband/easy_broadband/performance/) to see what the *theoretical* maximum speed is. Keep in mind that it is the length of cable (i.e along the streets) and not a birds line of sight.

Another big factor is line quality. Try picking up your land line handset and see if you can hear much noise on the line.

I have optus cable and my connection used to get very slow and eventually drop out whenever it rained. It turned out that all the connectors on the telegraph poles in the street had corroded and water was getting in.

4. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

I had shocking problems at my old house whenever it rained. Being an older area (Seven Hills), I don't think any maintenance had been done on the lines or pits in years

Funnily enough, we've had alot of rain the last few days here (Quakers Hill exchange) and my sync speed has almost halved from it's usual

5. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Our connection here is absolutely dreadful whenever it rains, and it definitely affects the entire area. We get around 5mbps on a good day though, which is not bad considering how far away from the exchange we are.

6. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

"As the crow flies", I'm only about 1.4kms from the exchange.... but because the M7 is between us, the actual cable run is about 3.6kms. I still manage to get around 6mbps though, so I can't complain too much

7. Bucko

Bucko Member

cheers guys will take all on board, makes a lot more sense now thanks

8. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

I had the same issues across the road Todd, I actually got Telstra out because my line was fkd and the joint in the pit right outside my unit was buggered. It has like 20 stickers on it saying it had been reported to Telstra. But the Telstra guy told me they won't replace it unless they get X number of complaints within a specific time period.

So I asked everyone I could in the complex to complain, because it affected the whole complex.
    The telstra guy also subtly hinted to me that the joints were quite 'Fragile' and if it was to take a big 'hit' it would break completely and have to be replaced :D

Also Bucko, when you say kbps I assume you mean download speed? go to www.speedtest.net and tell us what it gets.

9. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I want to compress audio files like you can when you compress movies files into avi. files. Does anyone know of a program where I can compress a MP3 or WMA file into pretty much nothing without losing audio quality?

10. Lord Tim

You don't want to compress those files because they're already lossy files and will have encoding artifacts. You want to run your compression on a WAV file and use something like Wavepack or Monkey's Audio.

http://www.wavpack.com/
    http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

11. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Thanks mate. This Monkey Audio program is amazing. Compressed a 222MB file to like 50MB. Awesome!

12. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I can do basic html and web design, having done a couple of web design subjects at uni about a decade ago, but would really like to be able to design modern and professional looking pages. Can people recommend some programs that make this relatively easy without having to study a shitload more? I've only ever done design manually, using Notepad. I assume a program like Dreamweaver would be a good start, but it's pretty expensive. Are there good alternatives?

13. Cooee

Cooee Member

I can't recommend a tool to build web pages since I'm a notepad (or more specifically TextPad :) ) man too, but I highly recommend the Firebug plug-in for Firefox when it comes time to debug your pages! I'm not sure if there are similar plugins for other browsers.

Some of the features that I like the most is the ability to edit live pages (i.e. you could edit this page if you wanted to), the page load time graphing that it does, and that you can inspect page elements using the mouse cursor which will reveal all the HTML / CSS that have applied to the particular element.

14. Lord Tim

I personally use Dreamweaver CS4 these days. I was 100% completely opposed to it for years 'cos the code it made was fucking terrible, but it's actually pretty decent these days an you have a very mature toolset for doing CSS/PHP/DHTML as well.

15. Bucko

Bucko Member

cheers mate ran that test as well now confused as it gives a totally different result to http://2wire.com/bandwidth/results.php?

16. Cooee

Cooee Member

SpeedTest.net will be using a mirror that is physically close to you. It will tell you which mirror is being used when the test runs.

2wire.com appears to be downloading from San Jose, California, USA.

Ideally the mirror will be hosted at your ISP.

17. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

+1 for DWCS4. I still do most of my coding by hand, but really like the shortcuts and coding colours/auto complete that Dreamweaver has. It's also great for the quick mockups where you can just drag & drop.

The connectivity between the entire Adobe suite is awesome these days, pushing files from Illustrator/Photoshop into Dreamweaver, Flash or InDesign is awesome... saves so much time.

CS5 should be arriving next week! :kickass:

18. Lord Tim

Yeah, keen to try out the CS5 suite when I upgrade my machine and go completely x64. :)

19. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

They have it at TAFE. I haven't had a chance to try DW yet, as i'm only doing graphic work. Some of the changes take a bit of getting used to, but others are awesome.

Love my sister being a TAFE teacher. $88 Master Collection :D

20. Moshy

Moshy Member

Hey guys,

currently using Trend MICRO PC-cillin as my Anti Virus software & it's up for renewel, but was thinking of saving a couple of hundred bucks & using 'Windows Defender' (which is FREE :) ) instead. Anybody had any experience as to whether Windows Defender is any good or not??? Currently running Windows Vista

Cheers
    Moshy