This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

I used to go to the Ultimo MSY on my lunch break as I worked a 10 min walk away.

Line was never too bad, I think the lines are really only there on the weekends when most people are able to go.

I remember needing a HDD for my parents PC once, went on a Saturday mornign with my dad and the line was huge. My dad lined up and I walked into all the neighboring PC Stores to see who would broker me the best deal, managed to get one guy within like $5 of MSY and took the deal haha

2. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Yeah I made the mistake of going to the old Auburn store once on a weekend and promised myself to never do it again! I found before lunchtime on a weekday tended to be pretty good... usually no more then a handful of people there

3. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

I know this isn't the easiest question to answer, but I have a tablet and a desktop, but my notebook is getting long in the tooth so I'm looking for a new one. Notebook's are fairly cheap at the moment but my main two requirements are an i7 chip and an SSD drive with a minimum size of 128GB (my thinking being that SSD drives will drop in price at some point at which point I can replace it with something bigger).

It's been a while since I've done any searching but most of the sites (like Centrecom who are having a big sale at the moment (well, who isn't having a big sale at the moment?)) pummel the traditional hard drives.

So,
    1. Are there any good Australian sites to do advanced searches of notebooks?
    2. Any recommendations?

I'm currently using an Asus and more than happy with it (I don't need the notebook to be rugged or used extensively outdoors).

FYI - I took a Transformer Pad TF300 to Europe with me and was really happy with it from a basic net, gaming, media player, etc.. It does 80% of things well enough but there's still a bit more that I'd like it to do. Am looking forward to the M$ Surface after it's been out for a generation or two for more office integration.

4. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Lenovo thinkpad X200 series. Mine is a 220. 13.3 inch screen and will even play older 3D games like torchlight. Of course the sweet spot for price vs performance in laptops is 14-15 inch so if you go lower or higher you tend to need to pay more. Lenovo are not the cheapest but in my experience are the most reliable. This is the 4th or 5th lifecycle I've used them exclusively for business and the last fleet we bought we had one doa and no failures at all since- they are due to be replaced shortly. Go to lenovo.com.au and configure what you want but they do have 30% off offers now and again which are well worth waiting for. Only caveat is that I don't yet extend that recommendation to anything other than their thinkpad range (they bought the tech of IBM 6 years ago or so). I do have one of their other models at home but I only bought it recently.

5. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

At my work (small business), I have to find some way of securely sharing small files two-way between us and various clients. It has to be user-friendly and user-driven, GUI'd, web- and browser-based, password-protected, account-based so that the files for each client are visible to only them and us, and able to be easily accessed from strict locked-down corporate environments.

I've considered FTP, but it needs software installed on the user's machine.

I've also thought about the idea of Dropbox or something similar, but its not really a good look sending files to clients on third-party US sites (has a bit of a cheap unprofessional feel to it). You can get your own branded portal on some of them but those products are generally expensive and for hundreds of gig - we would need a couple hundred meg at most.

Does anyone know of a way we can set up an interface on our own website (Joomla on really good shared Apache server)? Or any other ideas?

Thanks heaps in advance duuuudes.

6. Celestial-Todd

You could consider something like SparkleShare, it's basically an open source DropBox. You host the files yourself and then have clients connect ala DropBox with automatic syncing and such

7. Celestial-Todd

I was looking at setting Sparkle up for our customers to use for automatic syncing of work instructions and program manuals... but head office kyboshed the idea :( (never fully explained why though)

8. TheDenimRager

Thanks heaps Todd, I'll check this all out tomorrow.

9. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

We're so 80s we still use FTP. You *can* do it without client side software but it is a damn sight easier to install filezilla than to try and use a web browser for FTP.

... of course you could always use SCP and type the entire path by hand :lol:

10. TheDenimRager

11. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

Just grabbed a new ext HDD, whats the best backup software at the moment?

Its a WD with USB3.0 so it comes with the option to install the WD Smartware software but im usually fairly skeptical of these installs.

Happy to pay for it if it means better performance.

12. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

13. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

I will probably set up an online backup of some sort eventually, but at the moment, i've just moved all my gear into an office that i'm leasing and i haven't sorted out a net connection yet... i'm using my phone as a hotspot which is working surprisingly well (usually speeds higher than my home adsl connection.)

i don't want to waste any of my monthly 4GB on backup transfers, and i need to get a proper backup organised so i can take it home with me every day in case my PC goes walkabout.

14. Cooee

Cooee Member

If you are using Windows 7, perhaps you can give the stock one a try? (not that I use it).

15. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I've recently been having issues with my USB drives. Initially, it was just one, but now nearly 10 of the USB drives on my PC are affected.

Every time I plug in a device (smartphone, HDD etc) it tells me the device will run faster with a USB 2.0 drive. All my USB drives are 2.0.

Has anyone else had this same issue?

16. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

Had similar issues a while back but can't remember exactly how I solved them.

What OS are you running?

The basically solution is to update the USB drivers if you can as well as check the drivers for the devices you are plugging in.

17. black_tooth_grin

I'm running Windows 7. I didn't have issues until I formatted my PC about 2 - 3 months ago. I'll do a update and see how I go.

Thanks!

18. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

No probs but if you recently formatted your comp, some minor updates can be left out.
    Do the major Win7 updates as well if you haven't got them automatically set.
    You may also have to use the original driver disc for your comp if you still have it.
    Running that tends to fill in all the little gaps that the generic Win7 drivers miss.

19. black_tooth_grin

I believe I do still have the original driver disk. I'll give it a whirl.

Some updates didn't execute properly, but they just smoothed themselves out when I updated some little things. Nothing major. Minor errors with Origin and my Razor keyboard and mouse.

20. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

haha Origin. The reason I don't play new battlefields anymore! Another thing might be worth getting the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer website. just be careful of the SATA ones as I have had instances where installing those renders the machine unbootable (you can fix it if you know how but its not easy). Just the USB ones should be fine if that's the thing that is still flaky.